House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
wonderpup

Robots Will Soon Take Over Building London Skyscrapers

More straws in the automation wind;

Skyscrapers in the City of London could soon be built by robots rather than by people, according to the boss of one of the UK’s biggest construction firms.

The result would be huge productivity gains as more work could be done by fewer people – but also mass layoffs as traditionally labour-intensive construction projects hire fewer and fewer staff.

“We’re moving into the era of the robots,” said Alison Carnwath, the chairman of Land Securities, the £8.2bn FTSE 100 construction company.

Speaking at the Institute of Directors’ annual convention, the veteran businesswoman said the pace of technological change has taken her by surprise.

“Five years ago I’d have smiled wryly if somebody had said to me that robots would be able to put up buildings in the City of London – I tell you we’re not that far off, and that has huge implications,” she said.

“Businesses are focusing on [productivity], they want to reengineer how their people can work, they recognise that technology is upon us and is going to destroy thousands of jobs,” said Ms Carnwath, who has been on Land Securities’ board since 2004 and has been chairman since 2008.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-09-28/robots-will-soon-take-over-building-london-skyscrapers-major-uk-construction-firm-ce

I must admit construction is not one of the areas I thought would be much impacted by automation- it seems such a 'hands on' process.

I've never been a believer in the 'singularity' theory as such- but we do seem to be approaching an employment singularity where automation trends converege to create a scenario in which traditonally labour intensive areas are colonised by machines at a pace too quickly to allow the system to adapt.

When I first started talking about job automation on here a few years back it was definately considered a topic in the 'tin foil hat' category- now we have CEO's of FTSE 100 companies predicitng that robots will be building skycrapers in London- so clearly something has changed- people like this do not make such statements lightly given how important credibility is in their line of work.

Those politiicans who blythely talk about technology and productivity creating jobs seem to overlook the reality that no business on earth wants to create jobs- they want to create profits. Any businessman who set out to create jobs would be a danger to himself and his business- at least Ms Caenwath is clear headed enough to grasp the fact that productivity is not a synonym for 'job creation'- it's actually a process whereby output is either maintained or increased while input is reduced or unchanged- so the notion that productivity leads to job creation seems itself to be a tin foil hat idea.

SkyNet SkyScraper Net 

On a related note ...

Off-Site Construction Key To Unlocking Housing Crisis  

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/226444-off-site-construction-key-to-unlocking-housing-crisis-85-yrs-too-late/

L&G’s £55m, 500,000-sq-ft site, due to open later this month near Leeds, is fully computerised and automated, and can produce 3,000 homes a year for its build-to-rent schemes. The factory does not require the same level of skill as Elements. “It is much more akin to the manufacture of cars on a production line,” says James Lidgate, head of housing at L&G.

The emergence of modular homes is also a way of hitting house-building targets while dealing with a skills shortage, says Farmer. The shrinking construction workforce, which is partly down to demographics, is likely to be exacerbated by a lower reliance on EU labour after Brexit.

8 minutes ago, Saving For a Space Ship said:

SkyNet SkyScraper Net 

On a related note ...

Off-Site Construction Key To Unlocking Housing Crisis  

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/226444-off-site-construction-key-to-unlocking-housing-crisis-85-yrs-too-late/

Weve had this for years and they are our traditional Park Homes and very nice they are.

4 hours ago, wonderpup said:

More straws in the automation wind;

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-09-28/robots-will-soon-take-over-building-london-skyscrapers-major-uk-construction-firm-ce

I must admit construction is not one of the areas I thought would be much impacted by automation- it seems such a 'hands on' process.

I've never been a believer in the 'singularity' theory as such- but we do seem to be approaching an employment singularity where automation trends converege to create a scenario in which traditonally labour intensive areas are colonised by machines at a pace too quickly to allow the system to adapt.

When I first started talking about job automation on here a few years back it was definately considered a topic in the 'tin foil hat' category- now we have CEO's of FTSE 100 companies predicitng that robots will be building skycrapers in London- so clearly something has changed- people like this do not make such statements lightly given how important credibility is in their line of work.

Those politiicans who blythely talk about technology and productivity creating jobs seem to overlook the reality that no business on earth wants to create jobs- they want to create profits. Any businessman who set out to create jobs would be a danger to himself and his business- at least Ms Caenwath is clear headed enough to grasp the fact that productivity is not a synonym for 'job creation'- it's actually a process whereby output is either maintained or increased while input is reduced or unchanged- so the notion that productivity leads to job creation seems itself to be a tin foil hat idea.

Henry Ford was okay with employing people in decent money

He also had a rather critical view of central banks

Hmmm...

He knew

Edited by knock out johnny

By the time robots can build skyscrapers... we'll no longer have any need for skyscrapers.

Even if there are still businesses which employ thousands of people, what possible reason is there to have them travel tens of miles every day to the centre of London when they can just log into a virtual office?