House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JoeDavola

Travelling to Krakow

Booked a last minute break to Krakow next week. Cheap flights, even cheaper airbnb, ect...

Never been before so don't know what to expect - don't mind if I get bored I'll have my kindle and laptop to amuse myself and will enjoy being somewhere different. Trying to work out how to get around....mainly from the airport to my AirBnb - in the map below:

EDIT: removed the map due to paranoia. ;)

...I've highlighted 2 train stations - The 'Glowny Towarowy' station is very near to where I'm staying - so I'm hoping I can get a train from the airport into town and then stop off at that station (with maybe one transfer along the way). If not I'll just take the airport train to the main 'Glowny' station.

I know this isn't a travel board but there's plenty of well traveled sorts here so someone's bound to know ;)

Any other recommendations of things to do and places to go in Krakow are much appreciated too!

I think the Bagel was invented there.  So maybe eat some bagels.

If you are into history maybe a walking tour.

Also the 'riese komplex' (where they were looking for that Nazi gold train) is fairly near there (though it is actually a lot near to Wroclaw).  Maybe you could take a tour there.

I am sure CCC will be along with a proper man's answer any minute now.

In the meantime, you have just told the web where you are staying next week. Anyone that has read the DOSBOD thread will be beating a path to your AirBnb!

I went to Krakow a little over a year ago. The main touristy things to do are to see the salt mines and of course Auschwitz (which I know is hardly a happy smiley tourist destination but it's what everyone goes to. Go on an organised tour with an english speaking radio equipped tour guide if you can). The town centre is nice to wander around, it's very cheap, and almost everyone speaks English.

One thing I noticed, there are lots at lots of very good looking women. One of my hotel receptionists, a waitress in the Hard Rock Cafe, a girl working in the open creche in the shopping centre, the girl who served me in one of the shops, all literally model level attractiveness. If nothing else, you'll enjoy the view!

I went there 25 years ago and was really impressed (as far as I can remember).  The old town and the cathedral were really interesting to walk around, though, at the time, the place was inundated with gypsy beggars.

Been there but was really just a bevvy weekend so can't really help.

Avoid 'bars' with hot burds that are downstairs in places and are thinly disguised brothels for drunk tourists.

We got out no hassle but heard a few that ended costing a lot.

As already said - burds are very hot.

Yeah gonna head over to Auschwitz and the Salt Mines since they're the two main 'day trips' if you can call it that.

Not looking for a wife, but expecting to see more attractive women knocking about than I do on an average day in Belfast. However, I've read there's scams being run where women approach you, chat you up and then ask you to go for a friendly drink, and then when you get to the bar you get hit with a massive bill and the threat of a hiding if you don't pay.

Thankfully I'm not such a Deluded Old Scrapper Bloke that I think anyone will be approaching me for non-financial reasons ;)

Pretty much just looking for a laid back week away - somewhere new to wander about, nice places to sit and have a few drinks or a coffee, call into some museums. I've just been talking to someone who's a big fan of the place and he says it's a safe place to walk about at night and there's some nice jazz bars so might check some of them out.

Almost forgot - do be a bit wary of Polish blokes in general. My mate was warned by Polish folk he worked with. They can be pretty aggressive on nights out. Plenty spoiling for a fight. If you keep to yourself nothing much seems to happen - but you can tell something's brewing if you do the wrong thing. 

Had a few instances there myself in the few weekends I've been there.

For example my Pal is 6 ft 5 so must have been seen as a target. Numerous times he would just be on a night out walking along and a random would on purpose walk into him when walking down the street.

Many seem to have anger issues !!

As I said though not much to worry about unless your looking for a fight .

It's a nice city. There are plenty of chess boards down by the river if you fancy a game. The cathedral is interesting but has a daily limit on visitors so go early if you want to visit. 

If you want a change of scene (though don't know why you would), then you could do worse than to travel south to Zakopane and the Tatra mountains. 

Definitely do Auschwitz and salt mine. Consider visiting the old Jewish quarter in Kazimierz (sp). They were also renovating a Schindler museum there when I visited. Might be worth a look. 

9 hours ago, DEATH said:

Imagine if you met someone on the trip. "Where did you both meet?", "Auschwitz".

When staying in Katowice (don't go, bit of a dump, flattened in the war and rebuilt in that brutal soviet concrete box style) I was being er ahem... 'entertained' by a young lady and on enquiring where she was from she happily chirped that she was born and raised in Auschwitz* - it kind of killed the moment

*Auschwitz being an old garrison town and the camp started in the disused barracks

22 hours ago, knock out johnny said:

went there in business

Auschwitz is a must - no words can convey

It left me very affected for a long time

Didn`t affect me like I expected, my reasoning was that many years of visitors, some with children, have balanced out any evil vibrations that may have existed there, but there are certain things as you go round that shock you and affect you I will say that, but overall it wasn`t the evil and malignant place that I expected. As for Joe`s OP I seem to remember salt mines and a big pub crawl round a  square near a large park, and being told that the park wasn`t particularly safe at night (we cut through it anyway)

12 hours ago, ccc said:

Almost forgot - do be a bit wary of Polish blokes in general. My mate was warned by Polish folk he worked with. They can be pretty aggressive on nights out. Plenty spoiling for a fight. If you keep to yourself nothing much seems to happen - but you can tell something's brewing if you do the wrong thing. 

Had a few instances there myself in the few weekends I've been there.

For example my Pal is 6 ft 5 so must have been seen as a target. Numerous times he would just be on a night out walking along and a random would on purpose walk into him when walking down the street.

Many seem to have anger issues !!

As I said though not much to worry about unless your looking for a fight .

Guess they are not too happy about Brits looking to steal their burds.

I've been using the new "Next Unread Topic" link, and I thought you were all talking about Middlesbrough..!

Until someone mentioned good-looking burds...

XYY