House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
spyguy

Death of the Thames Valley/M4 corridor.

http://www.ft.com/fastft/2016/09/28/apple-to-move-london-hq-to-battersea-power-station/

Apple's moving UK HQ to Battersea power station.

Not sure where it was before.

Googles at KingsCross.

Facebook's in Fitzrovia.

Small companies are all in London or around the country.

Thames Valley? HP - shutting down. MS - struggling.

M4 corridor? Just cannot travel very far  these days.

In the early 90s you could whizz from Oxford to Bracknell. Now you struggle to get from Bracknell to Reading.

Reading? Just full of people on benefit. BTL hell hole Low wages, high benefits. Horrid really..

There's still the Reading fast train  is 30 to Paddington.

The Reading Waterloo is 30 minutes slower then time that I can get from York to London - 1.30h!

Crossrail does not change the travel time much - an youd have to get to Reading station to use it - or Maidenhead.

Weren't there a lot of blue chip finance there, nationwide, insurance companies etc? Suffered post credit crunch?

Good example of how London has been steadily hovering up the IT industry from the wider south-east.... 10 to 20 years ago there was good tech employment a plenty in the Thames Valley/Surrey areas, much more than In central London.....now  the old street area starting to be dominant..

.At least Battersea is near Clapham Jnc so those Surrey/Thames Valley-ites  can commute in lol 

London is also starting to make a putt for the pharmaceutical/ drugs/research industries too. Looks like Cambridge and Oxford will be the next on the target list...

I'm still waiting for London to start to go for  the materials science base stuff that Manchester has a lead on like the Graphene research....

2 hours ago, spyguy said:

http://www.ft.com/fastft/2016/09/28/apple-to-move-london-hq-to-battersea-power-station/

Googles at KingsCross.

Facebook's in Fitzrovia.

In the early 90s you could whizz from Oxford to Bracknell. Now you struggle to get from Bracknell to Reading.

Reading? Just full of people on benefit. BTL hell hole Low wages, high benefits. Horrid really..

The Reading Waterloo is 30 minutes slower then time that I can get from York to London - 1.30h!

Crossrail does not change the travel time much - an youd have to get to Reading station to use it - or Maidenhead.

Crossrail stops at Twyfordm Taplow, Burnham as well.

53 minutes ago, Oliver Sutton said:

Crossrail stops at Twyfordm Taplow, Burnham as well.

I know but theres not great access/parking.

I was surprised with how long reading to tootenhan crt road will take - slightly longer than fast train and tube.

I was expecting 40 mins. In travel time its not a good sell for reading. The only pro the xrail website made was your on the same train.

It will increase capacity.

I am in Bracknell, have been told in plain words all jobs that don't require actual face to face customer contact will eventually be gone somewhere else that is cheaper.

I'll be feeling the pain of crap transport links to Reading next year as my company relocates. Luckily I can work from home a fair bit. Why the hell would any company relocate to Reading? People are leaving in droves before the move. I think it might have been an underhand plan to avoid redundancy payouts.

9 hours ago, Funn3r said:

I am in Bracknell, have been told in plain words all jobs that don't require actual face to face customer contact will eventually be gone somewhere else that is cheaper.

I was arguing that most of the Thames valley jobs arent that well paying - very blue collar.

When I was there in the mid 90s most people were cleaners and the like. Bracknell esp. is pretty low skilled.

The M4 corridor was only 'popular' as there was OK road links to light industrial sheds that had been converted to offices.

The biggest problem we had was trying to convince people to work in the area. People wanted to live in West Lodnon which was doable back then.

The concept of living anywhere Slough or West filled people with horror.

Despite the new shops, the area has become a lot worse since I was there. And theres a lot less jobs.

6 hours ago, the gardener said:

I'll be feeling the pain of crap transport links to Reading next year as my company relocates. Luckily I can work from home a fair bit. Why the hell would any company relocate to Reading? People are leaving in droves before the move. I think it might have been an underhand plan to avoid redundancy payouts.

If you live 20 minutes from Paddington then travelling by train to Reading is doable, even 5 days/week.

I would not consider driving it.

If you're working in or around the station concourse then you can treat it as a crappy stop of the underground.

Id think again if you are having to travel out to one of the industrial parks - most are within a few miles but the transport links are sh1t and you end up having to make 3 to 4 connections on public transport, which will drive you nuts.

14 hours ago, Si1 said:

Weren't there a lot of blue chip finance there, nationwide, insurance companies etc? Suffered post credit crunch?

There was liimited. Reading had a life insurer - as did most large towns. It does not anymore.

To be honest, Reading reminds of Bradford in the late 80s, just before it tipped into being the hell hole it is today.

1 minute ago, spyguy said:

There was liimited. Reading had a life insurer - as did most large towns. It does not anymore.

To be honest, Reading reminds of Bradford in the late 80s, just before it tipped into being the hell hole it is today.

Allied Dunbar in Swindon or Slough?

It's interesting that companies are congealing in the SE and in particular London.

Their logic must be that if paying for a UK base might as well just chose the capital its only a little more expensive than the regions. Kind of indicates how U.K. cost have spiralled. 

21 minutes ago, Blod said:

It's interesting that companies are congealing in the SE and in particular London.

Their logic must be that if paying for a UK base might as well just chose the capital its only a little more expensive than the regions. Kind of indicates how U.K. cost have spiralled. 

If you want an international base with industry contacts then London makes sense. If you just want back office functions then liveable regional cities sound more sensible.

1 hour ago, Si1 said:

If you want an international base with industry contacts then London makes sense. If you just want back office functions then liveable regional cities sound more sensible.

It does.

HQ in London fine.

100s of employees? You struggle to recruit as the cost of London/Se falls on the employee.

I get approached by people with 'positions in London'. My standard response is they need to pay 150k+ before Ill come for an interview.

Some of the companies are smallish orgs who, later, have admitted it was a mistake as the travel infrastructure is poor, housing is way too expensive.

My prediction - get yourself near a mainline train station, or better, a rail interchange.

Reading is good for that. The rest of the Thames valley less so.

Somewhere like Leeds or Manchester, with improved bus networks feeding the trains, could really shine. Most Northern cities are ging ot have ban private cars from the centre in the next few years.

The Lpool/Manc -> Ncastle/Hull band only needs a slight more investment in physical transport. An switch to electrification and an Norther Oyster card would work wonders.

The whole concept of having fast transport links to enable long-distance commuting is a bit bonkers anyway, and the end result is usually all the businesses upping sticks and moving together so one place has lots of jobs and everywhere else none.

In the case of Apple, all they're doing is moving staff from other London locations to Battersea.

What do you bet they're getting a jolly good deal from the landlords as a high-profile anchor tenant, in the hope of attracting other tenants who will be paying more per square metre?

Apple moving HQ from Hanover Street to a Battersea address is a massive fall in HQ status whatever else false shine they try to put on it.  

For sure one can sort of understand them moving secondary offices to Battersea all in one location.  Probably they just can't afford the central London Hanover Street office for its HQ any more.   With the grossness of London property prices it's not any value.  Likely a banking company will take over the Hanover Street office and use it to launder some taxpayer freebie bailout money.

It all sort of reflects the importance (or lack of) put on technology In Britain these days. 

Edited by billybong

18 hours ago, spyguy said:

Googles at KingsCross.

Facebook's in Fitzrovia.

More BS, I would rather live on the Britwell in Slough than a sh$tpit like York.

54 minutes ago, billybong said:

Apple moving HQ from Hanover Street to a Battersea address is a massive fall in HQ status whatever else false shine they try to put on it.  

For sure one can sort of understand them moving secondary offices to Battersea all in one location.  Probably they just can't afford the central London Hanover Street office for its HQ any more.   With the grossness of London property prices it's not any value.  Likely a banking company will take over the Hanover Street office and use it to launder some taxpayer freebie bailout money.

It all sort of reflects the importance (or lack of) put on technology In Britain these days. 

Image is everything to Apple.

Battersea power station is "iconic" and "edgy". Mayfair is decidedly not.

34 minutes ago, Snugglybear said:

Image is everything to Apple.

Battersea power station is "iconic" and "edgy". Mayfair is decidedly not.

They need to get that image back?    

Why did it have its HQ in Hanover Street, Mayfair in the first place from the earlier days of being iconic and edgy and probably quite a few other things associated with a new company like Apple as well - iconic and edgy with a Mayfair HQ.  More likely it's something to do with finance and affordability. 

In passing Hanover Street is termed its european headquarters so it's not just its London HQ.

Edited by billybong

20 minutes ago, billybong said:

They need to get that image back?    

Why did it have its HQ in Hanover Street, Mayfair in the first place from the earlier days of being iconic and edgy and probably quite a few other things associated with a new company like Apple as well - iconic and edgy with a Mayfair HQ.  More likely it's something to do with finance and affordability. 

In passing Hanover Street is termed its european headquarters so it's not just its London HQ.

Apple's European HQ is in Cork. Hence all the kerfuffle about taxes just recently.

Apple's lease on the Hanover Street property ends in 2020, and apparently it's been looking for new premises for 10 years.

To get back to the original premise of the thread, I wonder whether it'll be moving staff from Stockley Park to Battersea.