House Price Crash Forum
TheCountOfNowhere

Can't access this forum from a P.C

I thought the site was down, then up briefly, then down during the upgrade - but I soon realised that the site was up most of that time, just couldnt access it.

Received a variety of error messages "site down for maintenance / site cannot be reached etc", hard to tell which were genuine due to the upgrade.

I purged my Chrome history and associated cookies and that seemed to help - so since today I'm accessing via Mac again...

Expect many users still think the site is down due to the upgrade & havent yet worked out they need to purge browser.

2 minutes ago, BearlyBegun said:

I thought the site was down, then up briefly, then down during the upgrade - but I soon realised that the site was up most of that time, just couldnt access it.

Received a variety of error messages "site down for maintenance / site cannot be reached etc", hard to tell which were genuine due to the upgrade.

I purged my Chrome history and associated cookies and that seemed to help - so since today I'm accessing via Mac again...

Expect many users still think the site is down due to the upgrade & havent yet worked out they need to purge browser.

Sounds familiar

4 minutes ago, BearlyBegun said:

So after reading that I switched to Firefox ( from Chrome ) and it worked for me.

Chrome gives me a screen saying:

Housepricecrash is currently offline...

The site is currently down for maintenance. Sorry for any inconvenience caused.

We expect the site and main discussion forum to be back soon.

5 minutes ago, mattyboy1973 said:

Seriously, what are they running this on? A 386 on the end of a dial-up connection? A decent host really doesn't cost a lot these days. 

With all the money we pay to use it you'd think they could afford a 486. 

Come to think of it, how much do we pay? Oh yes, I remember...

Give the guys a chance, it's a major upgrade and will probably take a few days to stabilise.

Have to say it's very slow, although I'm guessing all the fancy changes to software is making it very slow.  I've rather use a simplified skin than this, but I'm guessing all this has been done for security fixes?

Very slow on a decent spec PC with fast broadband here .... Ironic as the simpler layout of the site would tend to imply less overhead but it seems they must have increased the demands on the server somehow.

Also getting annoying 'Do you want to receive notifications' messages all the time - NO - which keep popping up every now and then.

I found that after a while the website wasn't actually down anymore but I was refreshing that maintenance page which is actually a different address. Just searched through Google and got on the site as normal. No need to swap the browser.

:blink: 

A word from the admin would be useful, to acknowledge that the issues and feedback have ben recognised, and perhaps provide some resolutions for simple issues, or timelines for fixes for larger ones. As Lavalas posts above, it seems many people might be thinking the site is still down when it's not, which can't be doing much for Fubra's advertising revenues.

2 hours ago, Fully Detached said:

A word from the admin would be useful, to acknowledge that the issues and feedback have ben recognised, and perhaps provide some resolutions for simple issues, or timelines for fixes for larger ones. As Lavalas posts above, it seems many people might be thinking the site is still down when it's not, which can't be doing much for Fubra's advertising revenues.

The software developer working on the forum has said the following.

Forum goes down sometimes because the new version requires to rebuild all the posts to adapt the format to the current version. That would take another couple of days at least to finish, but hopefully after that we will be able to see a great improvement.

5 hours ago, The Moderators said:

The software developer working on the forum has said the following.

Oh, OK, thanks Mods.

With a bit of luck it'll rebuild the corners on my profile pic and maybe a few dividing lines in the sea of white as well :P

Yep - been down a lot for me too. Unless these are just warning messages and its actually fine behind that. No idea how to tell either way though.