House Price Crash Forum

Deutsche Bank kaput yet?

Can anyone summarise the disastrous lending decisions that got DB into the irredeemable mess that it is in?

There must have been a number of pretty major discrete F-ups that got them to this point, or is the official line just "We can't help it, the market turned bad".

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 24/05/2018 at 10:31, Sour Mash said:

Can anyone summarise the disastrous lending decisions that got DB into the irredeemable mess that it is in?

There must have been a number of pretty major discrete F-ups that got them to this point, or is the official line just "We can't help it, the market turned bad".

How Deutsche Bank’s high-stakes gamble went wrong

https://www.ft.com/content/60fa7da6-c414-11e7-a1d2-6786f39ef675

It's behind a pay-wall, but if you have access it's definitely worth reading. It's one of the long-read articles and has a lot of history why DB is the way it is today, went all the way back to 1995.

4 hours ago, CentrinoDuo said:

How Deutsche Bank’s high-stakes gamble went wrong

https://www.ft.com/content/60fa7da6-c414-11e7-a1d2-6786f39ef675

It's behind a pay-wall, but if you have access it's definitely worth reading. It's one of the long-read articles and has a lot of history why DB is the way it is today, went all the way back to 1995.

No pay-wall for me! Thanks for the link

1 hour ago, Trump Invective said:

Jeez when will someone put it out of its misery!?

It's teh EuroZone KingPin.....they go.....it ALL goes......you dont leverage up 5T in toxic worthless CDS/CDO derivtives and get away lightly lol

KPMG/ PWC/ EY/ Deloitte....or whoever are 'doing' their accounts should also be strung up...

https://global.handelsblatt.com/finance/deutsche-banks-latest-stock-tumble-isnt-just-italy-929434

25 minutes ago, Talking Monkey said:

Does anyone know if it would be comparable to Lehman or a lot worse, what kind of consequences would there be.

When UK gov pumped in billions to RBS can the german central bank do summat similar

Lehman x 2. At least.

24 minutes ago, Talking Monkey said:

Does anyone know if it would be comparable to Lehman or a lot worse, what kind of consequences would there be.

When UK gov pumped in billions to RBS can the german central bank do summat similar

Merkel does not allow bailouts though, the hypocrisy of doing so for the Germans when she denied Greece would be immense 

.....it's bail-ins this time....that's why they doubled down on the pilfering since 2008...TBTF....

cash will either be evaporated away or sucked into an abyss....not many asset classes to choose from either....

I'm starting up a help phone-line specifically for banksters/ financial services...£3/ minute...automated response at least 30minutes long....

I welcome any 'serious' ideas for messages lol

seriously

Edited by Maximus Skepticus
On 24/05/2018 at 10:31, Sour Mash said:

Michael Lewis did a splendid expose of the operational follies of Douche and the ECB in 'Boomerang: Travels in the New Third World', the follow up to The Big Short.

Douche made just about every bad investment going: Icelandic banks, Greek govt bonds, Irish real estate, US sub-prime.

Lewis blames a lot of it on the national obsession with coprophilia. :lol:

23 hours ago, Talking Monkey said:

If it goes down it will go down like RBS, but this time with a bail-in. 

Afterwards the investment banking would be wound down.

I can't even really wrap my head around the number but somethign like 45 trillion of crappy deritivies in liabilties. Is DB less likely to bring down the whole thing and that's why the US are stepping up the trade war? Are they forcing the hand of the germans to have to fire up the printing press and bail them out? Have to admit it's way above my comprehension.

26 minutes ago, CanAffordWontPay said:

I can't even really wrap my head around the number but somethign like 45 trillion of crappy deritivies in liabilties. Is DB less likely to bring down the whole thing and that's why the US are stepping up the trade war? Are they forcing the hand of the germans to have to fire up the printing press and bail them out? Have to admit it's way above my comprehension.

No. It is not the derivatives. It's the sh1t lending they did. 

• 1 year later...