House Price Crash Forum

Domain and email Hosting Charges: Is This Reasonable?

acer

HOLA441

Hi,

I know there's a few IT people on here, so I was wondering if anyone can offer an opinion...?

I have my own domain name which is hosted by Namesco. Included is a basic web based email service. It's only for light personal use now, and I've kept the domain just to ensure a stable email address. There are instructions on how to configure email clients and mobile devices to receive and send my emails, but I've never been able to set this up. The reason seems to be that authenticated smtp access for the outgoing server is not included in my basic email package and has to be ordered separately, so the setup process fails because of this. They want around £20 per year to enable it.

My question is this: is this normal/reasonable pricing for domain hosting plus basic email service? Renewal for the domain name works out at around £10 / year, billed on a 3 year cycle.

HOLA442
1 minute ago, acer said:

Hi,

I know there's a few IT people on here, so I was wondering if anyone can offer an opinion...?

I have my own domain name which is hosted by Namesco. Included is a basic web based email service. It's only for light personal use now, and I've kept the domain just to ensure a stable email address. There are instructions on how to configure email clients and mobile devices to receive and send my emails, but I've never been able to set this up. The reason seems to be that authenticated smtp access for the outgoing server is not included in my basic email package and has to be ordered separately, so the setup process fails because of this. They want around £20 per year to enable it.

My question is this: is this normal/reasonable pricing for domain hosting plus basic email service? Renewal for the domain name works out at around £10 / year, billed on a 3 year cycle.

Transfer your domain name to Gandi.net and you'll get all you describe that you require for just the Domain name fee.

HOLA443
HOLA444

It's fairly unusual to charge for the SMTP service.

On the plus side, because of that, you may get fewer issues associated with shared mail server IP addresses getting black-listed when someone also using the same server is misbehaving as there are probably far fewer users.

HOLA445

By connecting with an email client they will be losing out on ads which they probably serve on their web interface. 

I would not say the costs are unreasonable. However I would keep the domain registration and your online services separate so access to the domain is not compromised in any dispute.

Archived