House Price Crash Forum
tomandlu

The Big Short

No doubt it's been discussed before, but it seemed worth mentioning that The Big Short is now on UK Netflix. It's billed as a comedy, but I'd say it's closer to tragi-comedy or outright farce. Anyway, very enjoyable and highly recommended, particularly to any friends and family who are still struggling with the details of the 2008 crisis.

Along with the documentary "Inside Job", and Lanchester's book, "Whoops", it makes an excellent introduction to the true scale of the venality that underwrote the collapse.

Mark Baum: I don't get it. Why are they confessing?

Danny Moses: They're not confessing.

Porter Collins: They're bragging

Overheard at a Washington, D.C. bar: "Truth is like poetry. And most people ******ing hate poetry."

Inside Job is a fantastic watch, I've got in on DVD. However, I can't face watching it again, nor have I for a long time. Just reminds me of how powerless we are to do ****** all and that those at the top will continue to do what the ****** they want and be allowed to do so. I've also been reading Faisal Islam's "Default Line" which I'm also finding an excellent read, but is beginning to imbue similar feelings.

It's farcical that they've billed it as comedy but that's the sort of little tricks that they get upto.

A very good and entertaining movie with a pretty realistic description of some of the events around that time.

Edited by billybong

1 hour ago, billybong said:

It's farcical that they've billed it as comedy but that's the sort of little tricks that they get upto.

In fairness, for the awards with a comedy section, it was nominated as a comedy, which is done by the studio iirc.

I dunno - it's not Airplane, but I laughed a fair few times, and there's nothing wrong with a comedy making you angry (see "The Accidental Death of Anarchist" or "Dr Strangelove")

And "Here's Margo Robbie in a bubble bath to explain" and the other celeb cameos were pretty damn funny - 

Edited by tomandlu

On 9/28/2016 at 3:27 PM, tomandlu said:

In fairness, for the awards with a comedy section, it was nominated as a comedy, which is done by the studio iirc.

I dunno - it's not Airplane, but I laughed a fair few times, and there's nothing wrong with a comedy making you angry (see "The Accidental Death of Anarchist" or "Dr Strangelove")

And "Here's Margo Robbie in a bubble bath to explain" and the other celeb cameos were pretty damn funny - 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Big_Short_(film)

Distributed by Paramount Pictures, the film began a limited release in the U.S. on December 11, 2015, followed by a wide release on December 23, 2015.[5][6] The film was nominated for five Academy Awards, including Best Picture, Best Director, Best Supporting Actor for Bale, and won in the category of Best Adapted Screenplay.

So there were plenty of other more serious categories it could have been put under.  

It is fair to say it did receive comedy awards with some of the lesser known organisations.  Presumably their nomination systems are different and maybe even automonous but I don't think that the makers of The Big Short put the movie in specifically for comedy awards and not for the main award organisations.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1596363/awards

It was only funny and raised plenty of laughs in the sense that they demonstrated the behaviour of the crooked and fraudulent banking, financial and regulatory sectors as farcical.

The clip you posted is indeed apt and is worth posting again.

Edited by billybong

On 28 September 2016 at 9:14 AM, tomandlu said:

No doubt it's been discussed before, but it seemed worth mentioning that The Big Short is now on UK Netflix. It's billed as a comedy, but I'd say it's closer to tragi-comedy or outright farce. Anyway, very enjoyable and highly recommended, particularly to any friends and family who are still struggling with the details of the 2008 crisis.

Along with the documentary "Inside Job", and Lanchester's book, "Whoops", it makes an excellent introduction to the true scale of the venality that underwrote the collapse.

Thanks for the heads up, I've been keeping an eye out for it on Netflix. Will try and watch it this weekend.

What made The Big Short remarkable is that it didn't glamorize the financial sector in remarking on its crookedness - unlike the Wall Street type movies and similar etc.

It portrayed the crookedness and fraud quite accurately in a measured way in their story about a group who made an honest bet against a blatantly dishonest, fraudulent and banal sector that had even gone to previously unheard of extremes of crookedness including for the regulatory system.  Previously unheard of extremes and that's saying something.

And they managed to provide some laughs along the way - usually incredulous laughs, laughs at the expense of the financial sector, the farcical regulators and the rating agencies and the banality of it all with the audience incredulous at what they got away with and still largely unpunished - and right now looking as if they're going to try to get it all going again.

Edited by billybong

1 hour ago, billybong said:

What made The Big Short remarkable is that it didn't glamorize the financial sector in remarking on its crookedness - unlike the Wall Street type movies and similar etc.

It portrayed the crookedness and fraud quite accurately in a measured way in their story about a group who made an honest bet against a blatantly dishonest, fraudulent and banal sector that had even gone to previously unheard of extremes of crookedness including for the regulatory system.  Previously unheard of extremes and that's saying something.

And they managed to provide some laughs along the way - usually incredulous laughs, laughs at the expense of the financial sector, the farcical regulators and the rating agencies and the banality of it all with the audience incredulous at what they got away with and still largely unpunished - and right now looking as if they're going to try to get it all going again.

i really enjoyed it. And actually had a lot of respect for the Michael Burry character (a real person) played by Christian Bale.  Note sure how exactly true to life it was, but many HPCers would have sympathy with someone who pointed out the lies and tore down the financial BS.

It's a great film but here's a trigger warning: if you're not good with shaky camera work, approach with caution. I came out of it feeling very motion sick. It's not as bad as Blair Witch, which made me throw up (the abysmal acting and annoying characters didn't help either), but it's getting there.

On a related note, Margin Call is an excellent film about the crash too. This trailer isn't so great, but the film itself is well worth watching:

On 9/30/2016 at 2:14 PM, billybong said:

So there were plenty of other more serious categories it could have been put under.  

It is fair to say it did receive comedy awards with some of the lesser known organisations.  Presumably their nomination systems are different and maybe even automonous but I don't think that the makers of The Big Short put the movie in specifically for comedy awards and not for the main award organisations.

(pedant mode) The Academy awards don't have a category for comedy, so the studio didn't have that option. Whenever that option was available, that was the category the studio entered it for. (/pedant mode)

17 hours ago, tomandlu said:

(pedant mode) The Academy awards don't have a category for comedy, so the studio didn't have that option. Whenever that option was available, that was the category the studio entered it for. (/pedant mode)

You could be right (as you say only where it's possible did the studio enter it for a comedy award - maybe in addition to other categories) but it's a surprise that in some of those cases where it got a comedy award it didn't receive much else in the form of awards.  I still think that some of the lesser known organisations might make awards automonously without the studios involvement especially as the studios don't get the publicity from the lesser knowns that the main awarding organisations get.  It's difficult to find out every nomination system.

In any event Netflix had plenty of categories to put The Big Short other than the Comedy category and no doubt it had it's own reasons for putting it there and I question that seeing as the subject is a serious one and was treated seriously by the studio but with humour thrown in.  

Edited by billybong

Maybe sticking it the comedy section means more people will watch it?

Either way, I watched it last night and thoroughly enjoyed it both as entertainment and documentary.

Any system which restricts to just ONE genre is dumb and flawed. TiVo and the IMDb are two examples how to do it properly - MULTIPLE genres per title. Otherwise the genres are far too coarse.

On 30/09/2016 at 9:43 PM, billybong said:

the wolf of wall street is another good one,if you like these type of films.

The Big Short is great.

But my favourite financial film is probably Margin Call . I watched the Blu ray recently, and something about the mood/the way it's shot just captures the industry and what goes on perfectly. Great actors as well - Spacey (fantastic in this), Bettany, Jeremy Irons, Demi Moore etc.

It was a relatively low budget, independent film but is massively underrated in my view. Well worth watching and re-watching. Be warned though, it's a bleak watch and will leave you in a bad/depressed mood!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margin_Call_(film)

The Wolf of Wall Street is also great. Less depressing than Margin Call.

Edited by Errol

The film was highlighted by some of the veterans before release at the pictures. I went to see it and thought it was superb. The financial system reinvents itself after this.....but some fundamentals around leveraging and debt remain the same. 

Interest rates at 0.25% is a forced lie to drive against the underlying market. The FTSE flies, house prices continue to nudge up, bond yield plummet, pension deficits therefore soar.....waiting for the housing bubble to pop requires patience but the next film about the current day position should be out about 2023. ?

On 03/10/2016 at 11:47 AM, Errol said:

The Big Short is great.

But my favourite financial film is probably Margin Call . I watched the Blu ray recently, and something about the mood/the way it's shot just captures the industry and what goes on perfectly. Great actors as well - Spacey (fantastic in this), Bettany, Jeremy Irons, Demi Moore etc.

It was a relatively low budget, independent film but is massively underrated in my view. Well worth watching and re-watching. Be warned though, it's a bleak watch and will leave you in a bad/depressed mood!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margin_Call_(film)

The Wolf of Wall Street is also great. Less depressing than Margin Call.