House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fru-gal

Do you think there should be any limits to freedom of speech?

Inspired by this post on reddit, do you think there should be any limits on free speech and are you worried about recent (UK) news stories where people have been prosecuted or jailed for things they have said?

Speech is free or its not. There's no inbetween.

Freedom of speech does not mean freedom to lie and slander.

You still have to face the consequence of saying 'xyv celeb touched me down below'

Of the links:

#1 - Hes free to say that. The courts are free to procecute them. If he had evidence that the Mzee kid was a spice smoking monkey then he would nto have been fined.

#2 - Gazza is a moron. He can say what he likes but, as above, he can get fined. There's an obvious over egging it by the vitim but hey, tough.

#3 - More complex. He asked her a question, no insults no whatever. She replied. They both went on their way.

The police can arrest him for his comments. He should then sue for wrongful arrest as, going by what he claims he said, no racist comment was made.

4 minutes ago, spyguy said:

Speech is free or its not. There's no inbetween.

Freedom of speech does not mean freedom to lie and slander.

How can you have freedom of speech if you're not free to lie and slander?

6 minutes ago, knock out johnny said:

Incitement to murder is not free speech, everything else should to be allowed. Freedom of speech is not the freedom to agree with the mainstream, it is difficult speech that needs to be protected. If you take it away you leave people with no other option but violence.

This is a tricky one. I once came across a Wordpress page that was advocating rape of women and girls as young as ten as well as providing tips on how to get away with it. I think it's right to jail people in clear cut cases of incitement to violence like that but also worry that it's the thin end of the wedge. I don't want my ability to question Islam to be taken away by the same laws used to convict the likes of Anjem Choudary.

No limits.

The incitement to violence thing is tricky. But if I had to choose - let them be. If folk want to state nonsense then the only people who will listen to them and follow them would have anyway. And they will just do it 'underground' anyway.

Much of this 'cracking down' on things just gives them a larger stage. Look at that young bloke in Dundee who during the London riots got jailed for some immature tweet. The only reason it was heard about by 2 million people and not 22 people was because of the furore it caused.

Ignore it and meh - within hours it may as well never have been said.

37 minutes ago, whitevanman said:

Incitement to murder is not free speech, everything else should to be allowed. Freedom of speech is not the freedom to agree with the mainstream, it is difficult speech that needs to be protected. If you take it away you leave people with no other option but violence.

This ^. You should be able to say what you want but threatening to kill someone is not free speech. Anything that gets personally physical is a no no and is in a different category to free speech. 

It was Oliver Wendell Holmes who decided in 1919 that "Your right to free speech does not extend to shouting "Fire!" in a crowded theater."

There are no absolutes in life apart from mathematics!

36 minutes ago, yellerkat said:

It was Oliver Wendell Holmes who decided in 1919 that "Your right to free speech does not extend to shouting "Fire!" in a crowded theater."

There are no absolutes in life apart from mathematics!

Yet even there you're imposing a limit - a perfectly sensible one in that case, but a limit nevertheless. It is no longer completely free speech.

The odd one is student debating societies, where they clearly do not want debate.:o But it was always thus, from recollection. Education doesn't seem to open people's minds much.

I do think that restrictions on free speech have gone way too far. Anjem Choudhury is an objectionable little turd but he should not be in prison. I don't see his supposed crime as being any different to Celtic fans singing 'Ooh Aah Up the Ra'. Though I guess they're not allowed to do that either now due to Scotland's ridiculous football chanting laws :rolleyes: .

Really, no.

You should be able to be say anything you want (IMO).

The internet in its wild west days was full of people spouting rubbish because nobody could police it.  It just meant you got to see society as it really is with everybody's views laid bare.  All the idiots, were,  just regarded as idiots.

I enjoyed that time..  it was a more honest place to exchange views.

Now the mums and MPs run the internet and it's all gone a bit sterile and fake.  A bit like the media.

6 minutes ago, libspero said:

The internet in its wild west days was full of people spouting rubbish

I see that you've not visited off topic recently Libspero.  

Oh wait.....:lol:

2 hours ago, MrPin said:

The odd one is student debating societies, where they clearly do not want debate.:o But it was always thus, from recollection. Education doesn't seem to open people's minds much.

Shut up.

Just now, One-percent said:

I see that you've not visited off topic recently Libspero.  

wait.....:lol:

OT gets a little colourful occasionally..    but we've lost a few loopy characters over the years.   Like Bruno who used to stick umbrellas up his butt and threaten to mow us all down with an AK at the pub meet.    

He got touched up by the police for exercising his free speech !

7 minutes ago, libspero said:

OT gets a little colourful occasionally..    but we've lost a few loopy characters over the years.   Like Bruno who used to stick umbrellas up his butt and threaten to mow us all down with an AK at the pub meet.    

He got touched up by the police for exercising his free speech !

:ph34r:

we are quite refined then now, what with our eseoteric discussions of gin :)

16 minutes ago, happy_renting said:

Shut up.

Stop looking at me through the glory hole. I didn't drill it.:mellow:

Just now, One-percent said:

:ph34r:

we are quite refined then now, what with our eseoteric discussions of gin :)

I was going to search for, then post, a picture of an effeminate / gay / trans cocktail drinker..

DO NOT GOOGLE IMAGE THAT

Oh my giddy aunt..   I need a gin.

5 minutes ago, libspero said:

I was going to search for, then post, a picture of an effeminate / gay / trans cocktail drinker..

DO NOT GOOGLE IMAGE THAT

...or a stiff drink at least.

10 minutes ago, libspero said:

DO NOT GOOGLE IMAGE THAT

Couldn't resist and it brought me straight back here :lol:

dont listen to xyy and spy. Gin is NOT effeminate.  James Bond, Humphrey bogart to name just two. They just want to appear hard rather than refined ;)