House Price Crash Forum

Doctor And Accountant Can Only Afford 45% Of A £600K Flat

Areas change they always have, Holloway and Hackney are now uber trendy (god knows why) so why would you beggar yourself to live there when you can't afford it? just because you want to pay £4 for a coffee ?

As my post said this doesn't detract from the appalling house situation facing many youngsters, these just aren't good examples

I disagree, doctors salaries are in the top few percent, and an accountant in London should be on best part of £50K if not more once fully qualified. And all they can afford is less than a bedroom in an area many still think of as being a bit dodgy.

Still the main story is these poor souls aren't getting a £1400 state handout.

As DrMartinSanchez says its like something from the Daily Mash.

Edited by Crumbless

I disagree, doctors salaries are in the top few percent, and an accountant in London should be on best part of £50K if not more once fully qualified. And all they can afford is less than a bedroom in an area many still think of as being a bit dodgy.

Still the main story is these poor souls aren't getting a £1400 state handout.

As DrMartinSanchez says its like something from the Daily Mash.

I agree, my wife used to work there and it was a dump and I doubt that it has changed.

Don't believe everything you read on HPC regarding the 'dying industry' of accounting. Look at published salary surveys and you will see they tend to do alright.

The problem you find yourself now is, you work hard to get yourself into the top say...20% of salary earners. In the old day that would have opened up the nicer end of housing stock. Now you can barely scrape into the ar*e-end of London on shared ownership.

More whiney DT propaganda about Help to Buy not helping enough. Anyway an accountant and a doctor are buying 45% of a 2 bed flat in Holloway. Truly is insane when professionals including an accountant are stupid enough to sign up into such a scheme. Best part of £300K for less than half a flat in what was a crap part of London (i worked there 20 yrs ago, maybe its better now), it truly is bonkers beyond belief.

They'll be paying close to £3K a month when combining the rent on the 55% and the mortgage on the 45%. Then add on ground rent. And they won't even own a full bedroom when its paid off, how soul destroying is that.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/personal-banking/mortgages/a-slap-in-the-face-buyers-lose-1400-in-latest-help-to-buy-failur/

Accountant Melissa Rawlings, 24, and her partner Dave Thompson, 28, a doctor, will use an arranged overdraft to make up the £1,400 they were expecting to get from the Isa. The couple is buying 45pc of a £600,000 two-bed flat in Holloway, north London.

Nobody is an accountant at 24. And yes, she should have more sense.

I live in a shared ownership in Holloway. The prices here have been rising like mad the last few years and probably because, despite being a bit dumpy still, it has a few pearls and its quick to the centre. Add scarcity with London bursting at its seams, all these idiotic gov schemes and voila..insane prices.

I moved here 8 years ago after getting priced out of camden, many people I know kept going...finsbury park....green lanes...seven sisters...walthamstow....M25