House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Storing Books And Hifi

Due to lack space I have boxes of books and hi-fi gear in the garage. What's the best way to protect them humidity? Silica sachets? How many would I need?

Put them in plastic crates with silica gel bags.

Actually you have stuff you don't use. Get rid of it. Somebody will use it. :rolleyes:

I had boxfulls of old books (amongst other stuff) that I kept in storage at a cost for years. After a couple of thousand and 10 years I broke all the furniture up and gave the books to charity.

Bit more proactive and I could have saved shedloads of money, but the furniture belonged to the late Ma in Law (you see my dilemma).

Don't keep them for the sake of it unless they really are of sentimental value.

I just wouldn't keep them in a garage; they'll become damp in the winter and then it's just a matter of time.

If you really must then get an electric heater and keep them near it.

I've tried microwavable dehumidifier crystals and they're pretty useless tbh.

Buy a kindle, download the books virtually and give the real ones to a charity shop.

Sell the hifi. What are you keeping it for? Posterity?

ive took an agressive stance on paper to kindle. saves loadd of space.

musicwise a denon micro and small speakers is fine. ears arent great after 35. pointless spending big bucks.

i recycld paper books to my mum, which then go yo neighbours then a friend then to support local cricket club. books are best read then collecting dust.

I go to the car boot most weekends (just for the exercise), and there are about 5 house clearance trucks each week. Each week, people die, and they empty the house out. Which is then sold off at the car boot.

I promised myself, when my time is up, when they come and clear my lot up, it won't be too much hard work.

Possessions weigh you down. Sell as much as you can, give the rest away. If you sell the hi-fi on a no reserve auction on eBay then when you miss it in 10 years time you'll be able to buy identical components back for half the price.

Who is buying all these old hifis?

People who were advised to sell them but then realised later they had made a terrible mistake.

I got rid of best part of 500 books last year to a charity. Don't know why I had lovingly kept them so long as I have never read a book twice. Just get rid. You will one day so might as well be now.

People who were advised to sell them but then realised later they had made a terrible mistake.

Very good

I'm still right though :)