House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

spyguy

Keef Says Led Zep Are Crap

Bbc4 nights.

Wierd. As fun as he is, rolling stones have only 3 good songs: Gimme shelter, Sympathy for the devil and Under cover of the night.

Bbc4 nights.

Wierd. As fun as he is, rolling stones have only 3 good songs: Gimme shelter, Sympathy for the devil and Under cover of the night.

The Stones can hardly talk...Peddling their entire back catalogue for the last 40 years or so...He even has the audacity to say that Ed Sheeran is good...

Stones have a lot of good songs. Some classics. Nithong really since the 70s. Emotional Rescue in the 80s. They are their own tribute band.

Never got excited about Led Zep myself - one of these bands you are supposed to like.

Bbc4 nights.

Tend to agree, whilst I quite like The Stones and Sympathy for the devil is my favourite which I saw it at Wembley for the Voodoo Lounge Tour which was pretty cool, they aren't as good as Led Zep.

Stairway is brilliant though obviously overplayed and has become a bit of cliche as per Wayne's World, but they have so many other great songs, I really like "when the levee breaks"and "The Immigrant Song", but you can literally have a Led Zep top 40 list as their catalogue is amazing.

The only way to sort this out is let the old f*ckers fight each other in the car park.

Richards can get Ginger Baker along because he likes a good punch up and he always though that John Bonham 'could not swing a sack of shit'. That said Baker also thought Jagger was a stupid little ****

http://www.uncut.co.uk/reviews/film-reviews/beware-of-mr-baker

Stones have a lot of good songs. Some classics. Nithong really since the 70s. Emotional Rescue in the 80s. They are their own tribute band.

Never got excited about Led Zep myself - one of these bands you are supposed to like.

Can't agree with that. There's maybe 2 or 3 bands ever that even come close to Zeppelin. God's amongst men.

One of the great things about them is Plant moving on and doing other things. The Stones could learn a lot from that.

One thing in Led Zeps favour is that they jacked it in when they had no more to say musically.

Pity the Stones did not take the hint and just leave their music to the tribute bands many of whom sound better than a lot of the tired old originals still plugging away on the gig circuit

Alternatively, they could do something original as some of the old members of Deep Purple have done reworking their back catalogue in slightly different ways in attempt to keep it fresh

Have to admit Led Zep had a few orgasm anthems, a fair sprinkling of classics and way-ahead-of-their-times (see catchiest riffs thread) and lots of in between interesting songs. For range and legacy there's not much better around.

They're not honestly in my top 5 bands but musically I have to give it to them.

P

The thing I love about them the most is how so much of the way ahead of the time stuff they'd did was really old stuff blatantly ripped off :)

Seriously though. They're ******ing awesome.

Great track, particularly because of the way it epitomises the key role of Bonham in the bands sound.

When he died the band wisely decided to fold because he could not be replaced.

Despite Ginger Bakers jibes John Bonham pretty much redefined modern drumming which is probably the biggest reason why Led Zepplin are one of the most important rock acts of all time.

Interestingly the Stones have a slightly different approach to rhythm with Richards guitar often leading and Watts drums following slightly behind which gives them their own unique sound

The Who were different again. Keith Moon apparently found it hard to sit in with other musicians but with his own band he was peerless. His style suited their sound.

They are all great bands when on top form but different.

The world would be boring if they were all the same

Midnight Rambler I love.

Also love Led Zep, or Lid Zip as a South Afrikaner friend calls them.

Sprekken sie Afrikaans! The first LZ was very good. The rest were carp. I have spoken! :blink:

Decent band for me, but they stole most of their decent tunes from much financially poorer musicians and got rich doing it. Somebody like Keef with his knowledge of blues music would see that and not like it.

All proper musicians have a big nose.

Keef likes to wind up reporters, eg snorting his dads ashes etc. In his autobiography, there is no slagging off other musicians.

What's with the 'no new music' criticism? Wasn't said about Muddy Waters or B B King or any other aged black musician.

The Stones get played more than bands from the same era because their catalogue is not only huge but good.

Keef likes to wind up reporters, eg snorting his dads ashes etc. In his autobiography, there is no slagging off other musicians.

What's with the 'no new music' criticism? Wasn't said about Muddy Waters or B B King or any other aged black musician.

The Stones get played more than bands from the same era because their catalogue is not only huge but good.

And somebody else's

Bbc4 nights.

You are confusing them with Primal Scream who`s only two widely known songs seem to be two of those you mentioned with different words, the Stones have many great songs IMO, Wild Horses being one of them, and although hard core fans don`t like the "Under Cover" era I believe, I always loved "She was Hot" from that album, I believe Wyman wrote that one? There was a recent interview with Ginger Baker where he just lays into the Stones saying that although they are friends of his (Keith and Charlie I think) they are woeful musicians (except Charlie in his opinion) He is coming from the perspective of having played with highly evolved jazz musicians though. My feeling is that he is jealous of their hit/money making abilities, as he is bankrupt basically. Supposedly years ago when Deep Purple opened for the Stones at some gig Jagger said Ritchie Blackmore (my favourite guitarist) was the "best guitar player he had ever seen", but in an article on Deep Purple shortly afterwards Blackmore said that in his opinion the Stones were crap! The support/compliments from Jagger dried up straight after that allegedly. Seems the skilled musician types don`t rate them, while the fans love them? I loved them when I say them in London in the mid 90`s, excellent gig, one of the best I have seen, Jagger really on fire back then.

Can't agree with that. There's maybe 2 or 3 bands ever that even come close to Zeppelin. God's amongst men.

One of the great things about them is Plant moving on and doing other things. The Stones could learn a lot from that.

Seeing the demise of AC/DC, with Angus obviously still up for touring and playing shows, makes you wonder if he will branch out into slightly different approaches and collaborations?

He's bitter because he thinks that being more technically proficient he should be rich and famous.

That however only applies in the world of classical music and to a lesser extent jazz.

In rock it's about the songs and the performance first and foremost, not shades of musicality that only other musicians can hear.

The Sex Pistols did some cracking songs which would have been barely changed by replacing Paul Cook with Ginger Baker.

He's bitter because he thinks that being more technically proficient he should be rich and famous.

That however only applies in the world of classical music and to a lesser extent jazz.

In rock it's about the songs and the performance first and foremost, not shades of musicality that only other musicians can hear.

The Sex Pistols did some cracking songs which would have been barely changed by replacing Paul Cook with Ginger Baker.

Yep, that`s it in a nutshell, strong tunes that connect with the public V the technique and ability required to play at various levels. I understand (although not putting myself at anything like that level) why musicians who are really proficient need to move on beyond the bar band/hit song level and explore their musicality with musicians who are also at their level or higher, but they must accept that the audience for that diminishes the deeper you go, it will be musicians primarily and some fans with a more adventurous ear for the most part, not great swathes of the music buying/downloading public?

You see the Who decided to rent a warehouse and fill it full of stoners for a year, instead of going on world tours. Feeding biometrics through a synthesizer, writing prog rock operas and such.

So they haven't really got a leg to stand on whingeing about success :) Their artistic legacy is much richer as a consequence though.

P

The Who should have jacked it in when Moon died.

His drumming was as important to their sound as Bonham's was to Led Zep.

It's worth noting that for all their supposed arrogance and interest in commercial success that Page, Plant and company recognised that fact while Townshend could not. So I guess we know who had the bigger ego there.

BTW Moon divides a lot of opinion amongst drummers. Many in the rock world who model themselves on Bonham don't like his style while amongst some Jazz drummers such as the legendary Elvin Jones he was one of the few rock drummers who is held in any esteem. To my mind one of the big plusses about Moon was he simply refused to play drum solos as he thought the purpose of the drums was to interact with what the other musicians were playing not just to keep time, play fills and occasionally showboat on the kit. Daltry has some interesting things to say about his style on this clip

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KLMc6J9h3mU

I suppose one of my biggest problems with Led Zep is that Bonham and Co spawned a million imitators most of whom are not much cop. It's not their fault I know but the influence of their success on music has not always been good.