House Price Crash Forum
durhamborn

Babies To Women Over 45 Up By A Third.house Prices,or Tax Credits?

Id love to see the income levels of these women.The left try to make out its because of career and im sure some is,but id bet most is due to keeping the tax credits and/or housing benefits flowing.

The key age for tax credits and HB is around 43-47 as thats when most people see their oldest children leave education and see tax credits stop (iv seen the figures on this).That means at least 20 years until pension age having to work full time and pay rent etc.The fact this is the age group seeing the biggest increase in births is telling.

Id expect the London weighting is also due to keeping Housing Benefits flowing.With the two child at any one time limit id expect this will keep growing as people spread their families out to keep the credits flowing.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-37440538

Edited by durhamborn

Globally, I think an amount is to do with work - certainly in places like silicon valley, or anywhere where a genuine career path might be possible.

But not in most of the UK. It's just as you say. House prices will have started the trend - dual incomes became a necessity and now, as buying a house simply becomes inaccessible to all but the few anyway, extending access to tax credits become the driver.

It's still a tiny number of women (over 45), but I think generally women are having babies later and later because they can't afford them in their 20s or even early 30s. Average age of FTB is now late 30s. The social impact of high house prices and high cost of living is huge.

@durhamborn I think you may be right.

Professional working women (except the extremely ambitious/career driven ones) don't really put off having kids anymore (not in my circle of friends in London any way). They just get on with it in their 30s and take a short term hit to their career. If they do hang back, its usually with the second / third child because of lack of affordable houses

I know quite a few women back home in Yorkshire though who had their first kids in their early 20s and are now having more in their late 30s - all doing the 16h / TC thing.

I feel sorry for the kids. Essentially they're just a meal ticket

Edited by EssKay

I know quite a few women back home in Yorkshire though who had their first kids in their early 20s and are now having more in their late 30s - all doing the 16h / TC thing.

+1

TC fir the ones i know.

Theres loads of women with two kids mud late teebs. then a baby 10+ years younger.

There appears to be a reluctance to publish number of Downs birth after 2010.

My partner works at a special school. Each year the number of Downs in the intake goes up. It had been level/ falling til 2005.

Its very risky.

Not just Downs, theres so many subtle, less obvious problem. They kitchen sink stuff as global ddvelopment delay. Just loads of slow kids. Sometimes older parents. Sometimes various leveks of inbreeding andor bad parenting.

It's still a tiny number of women (over 45), but I think generally women are having babies later and later because they can't afford them in their 20s or even early 30s. Average age of FTB is now late 30s. The social impact of high house prices and high cost of living is huge.

It not a low number though.Its 1 in 7 having a child in the decade over 40.I dont know many career people,and im sure your right high houses prices/late FTB is part of it,but tax credits are surely the main driver.

Its also telling how the left wing press never accept the free money is driving this.

@durhamborn I think you may be right.

Professional working women (except the extremely ambitious/career driven ones) don't really put off having kids anymore (not in my circle of friends in London any way). They just get on with it in their 30s and take a short term hit to their career. If they do hang back, its usually with the second / third child because of lack of affordable houses

The 16 hour rule is probably one of the main problems with tax credits.I can see that going to 24 once the youngest is at school.A way to sell it is lower the rate to 8 hours for pre-school,then 24 primary,30,secondary.There are very few 8 hours a week jobs,but it would be a way to sell it.

Corbyn has just won again.

Tory Government for the next two possibly three terms. We should expect the scaleback of tax credits to continue apace.

Kids are forever (or at least till they are 18) tax credits can be removed at the whim of Government. This one has already shown a willingness in this direction.

All eyes on the Autumn statement to see if this policy is to continue. I suspect it is..

25 years ago pregnant women over 30 in the maternity wing were referred to as geriatric mums and certainly felt that was as the majority in there would have been 16-22.

When I see people in their 40s with babies like my next door neighbours I actually feel sorry for the kids as it is literally like being raised by your grandparents.

Had mine at a normal age and trust me by the time they are ready to fledge the nest these days you are literally worn out by their prescence and financially on the edge as well.

If you have kids in your 40s its odds on you won't have a financially comfortable retirement, but hey ho people convince themselves that it is the new normal whent patently it is not.

Corbyn has just won again.

Tory Government for the next two possibly three terms. We should expect the scaleback of tax credits to continue apace.

Kids are forever (or at least till they are 18) tax credits can be removed at the whim of Government. This one has already shown a willingness in this direction.

All eyes on the Autumn statement to see if this policy is to continue. I suspect it is..

I think you over estimate the love for the Tory party. I intend to vote for Corbyn unless things change drastically in a short space of time, i'd never vote for Smith or his ilk.

Do you really think Owen Smith and his calls for a 2nd referendum is going to get ex Labour voters returning from UKIP? Its the neolib Blairites that are the problem with Labour and the Tory party.

Edited by Crumbless

Yeah I think for all the ****** being spoken on the TV, radio and papers, they haven't learnt the lesson from Brexit yet. Corbyn, or someone like him is a shoe in within the next 10 years. Demographics, dear boy.

The worry is 'someone like him'. A puppet saying all the right things to the young would be terrible. Jezza will just be incompetent and bring about some kinda reset, but the effects, long term will hopefully be the right thing.

And its mainly about the house prices and the sh*tty salaries. If they'd just let things correct, taken a bit of pain, we wouldn't be having this discussion. It's now gonna be much more interesting.

Yeah I think for all the ****** being spoken on the TV, radio and papers, they haven't learnt the lesson from Brexit yet. Corbyn, or someone like him is a shoe in within the next 10 years. Demographics, dear boy.

The worry is 'someone like him'. A puppet saying all the right things to the young would be terrible. Jezza will just be incompetent and bring about some kinda reset, but the effects, long term will hopefully be the right thing.

And its mainly about the house prices and the sh*tty salaries. If they'd just let things correct, taken a bit of pain, we wouldn't be having this discussion. It's now gonna be much more interesting.

It amazes me that people think Corbyn is the answer. He's an old school marxist who lucked in as a bit of a joke candidate and happened to be in the right place at the right time to ride the wave of (genuine) millennial disenchantment with the extent to which they've been shafted.

He doesn't have a hope in hell of winning an election though and all he will achieve is to guarantee the Tories are a shoe-in at the next general election (and probably the one after that)

His predominately young voter base deserve better. Hopefully someone will emerge from the momentum movement but they'll have a hard time dislodging him (as the Blairites have just found out)

I think you over estimate the love for the Tory party. I intend to vote for Corbyn unless things change drastically in a short space of time, i'd never vote for Smith or his ilk.

A Corbyn govt wouldn't help people who work for a living one bit. They'll just increase the standards of living even more for single mums scamming TC and fake disability claimants while putting the boot in even more to employees. As much as I dislike the Tories the thought of a Corbyn govt scares the hell out of me.

A Corbyn govt wouldn't help people who work for a living one bit. They'll just increase the standards of living even more for single mums scamming TC and fake disability claimants while putting the boot in even more to employees. As much as I dislike the Tories the thought of a Corbyn govt scares the hell out of me.

A few billion to lazy feckless folk to spend in the shops, or endless billions to the top few percent of the country/world along with destroying the financial system and trust in our currency, then ending the chances of ordinary people buying a house with their wages.

You're telling me you'd vote for more of what we've had in the last 15 years instead of taking a chance?

Corbyn is the knew boogeyman for the neolibs in government and the MSM along with baby eating Mr Trump, i wish them every success.

Id love to see the income levels of these women.The left try to make out its because of career and im sure some is,but id bet most is due to keeping the tax credits and/or housing benefits flowing.

The key age for tax credits and HB is around 43-47 as thats when most people see their oldest children leave education and see tax credits stop (iv seen the figures on this).That means at least 20 years until pension age having to work full time and pay rent etc.The fact this is the age group seeing the biggest increase in births is telling.

Id expect the London weighting is also due to keeping Housing Benefits flowing.With the two child at any one time limit id expect this will keep growing as people spread their families out to keep the credits flowing.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-37440538

In 2012 we had a thread on here suggesting a different name for the Bedroom Tax. Mine were Breeding Reward or Baby Bonus.

The millenials actually vote as much as the boomers, given it 10 years as the boomers thin out and the millenials and following cohorts bulge.

And you will find momentum will lead the country.

corbyn has really captured the zeitgeist.

even if labour is not in power for a few years, they will be a moderating influence on the conservatives.

blairites should be ejected from the party, bunch of corrupt BTL scum.

blairites should be ejected from the party, bunch of corrupt BTL scum.

Just a pity the neolib Blairites who are neck deep in property wealth are running the Tory party. Cameron truly was the heir to Blair.

This country just seems over run with public school boys whose only ability is to ponce of the public purse in one way or another, we should start exporting them in the back of cattle wagons to their beloved EU.

A few billion to lazy feckless folk to spend in the shops, or endless billions to the top few percent of the country/world along with destroying the financial system and trust in our currency, then ending the chances of ordinary people buying a house with their wages.

You're telling me you'd vote for more of what we've had in the last 15 years instead of taking a chance?

Corbyn is the knew boogeyman for the neolibs in government and the MSM along with baby eating Mr Trump, i wish them every success.

I couldn't care less how rich the rich get as long as the lazy and feckless don't have a better standard of living than decent people who are doing 12 hour days.

I couldn't care less how rich the rich get as long as the lazy and feckless don't have a better standard of living than decent people who are doing 12 hour days.

I'm almost the exact opposite. The glass ceilings, lies and subterfuge that exist to supress my salary to benefit executives, have me applauding those who've made a very rational, if perhaps subconcious, decision to pillage the system for all its worth on the other end.

If the excutives were worth their money, then be my guest, get as rich as you want. They aren't though. They are purely getting higher and higher on the zirp hog.

The wrong thing to do is to subsidise it. Work less (unless you're working for yourself), pay no tax. It's too painful otherwise to watch both ends getting by at your expense.

Edited by Frugal Git

Labour will loose in England by a similar percentage as they did in Scotland.

Theyll retain seats in liverpool london and central cities.

Where twill the votes go? greens, libdems, cons, ukip.