House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Hovis

How Middle Class Are You?

These are always slightly tongue in cheek but this one by an alleged expert in etiquette has stretched it beyond any credibility by saying it's about how many bling ticks you get. I don't even know what one of them is.

IMHO this is "how much of a debt-fuelled follow the herd consumer are you?" and zero to do with your social class.

I got one, I have matching coasters. Doesn't everyone?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09/23/how-middle-class-are-you-it-depends-how-many-of-these-items-you/

These are always slightly tongue in cheek but this one by an alleged expert in etiquette has stretched it beyond any credibility by saying it's about how many bling ticks you get. I don't even know what one of them is.

IMHO this is "how much of a debt-fuelled follow the herd consumer are you?" and zero to do with your social class.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09/23/how-middle-class-are-you-it-depends-how-many-of-these-items-you/

I'm deffo not, thank goodness and only scored three. Was a bit worried as the three I got 'right' were the first three so initially not looking good.

Can some one explain what a spiralizer is? And what is a mulberry bag? Is it a bag uniquely designed for foraging for wild berries?

^ I saw that yesterday. I clicked yes to the first 2 answers* and no to the rest. Actually I have matching coaster too but that hardly makes for being middle class, ya.

*I should be getting a Smart TV delivered tomorrow (first TV purchase in 16 years!) and I got given a Dyson cleaner that I haven't used yet. I'm still as working class as they come.

Btw would recommend a Webber gas bbq for next summer. Mine sits out all year and five years on not a spot of rust. Great for cooking healthy meals outdoors when it it too hot to turn any source of heat on indoors.

However, I don't want to temp anyone into a middle class lifestyle.

Something that makes pasta based food and ravioli I think?

Just looked it up. It slices vegetables up so that the resemble spaghetti. Someone once served me these veg ribbons instead spaghetti with spaghetti Bol. Nearly threw up. Yuk

I'm deffo not, thank goodness and only scored three. Was a bit worried as the three I got 'right' were the first three so initially not looking good.

Can some one explain what a spiralizer is? And what is a mulberry bag? Is it a bag uniquely designed for foraging for wild berries?

A Mulberry bag is a vastly overpriced handbag, much prized by the nouveau snobs and Essex girls. I wouldn't even admit that I knew someone that had one. ?

I scored 5, so I'm apparently solidly middle class. Surprisingly.

I am very comfortable about being middle class, but only have 2 items - vinyl and an Antler bag in storage somewhere.

The article is a nonsense puff-piece for a self-styled 'etiquette expert', whatever that is.S

So, lazy journalism.

Matching coasters probably from a charity shop, 1/16.

Jeeze i thought a BBQ was a bit working class. No marks for me escaping neighbours and the rat race in a detached house out on a limb down a private lane. In fact most of the stuff looked a bit chavie.

A Mulberry bag is a vastly overpriced handbag, much prized by the nouveau snobs and Essex girls. I wouldn't even admit that I knew someone that had one.

I scored 5, so I'm apparently solidly middle class. Surprisingly.

Surely all this consumer stuff is what chavs buy on pay day loans.

Btw would recommend a Webber gas bbq for next summer. Mine sits out all year and five years on not a spot of rust. Great for cooking healthy meals outdoors when it it too hot to turn any source of heat on indoors.

However, I don't want to temp anyone into a middle class lifestyle.

I'm getting one (a Weber gas BBQ), clearing a space in the garden and putting some concrete down to then lay some terracotta tiles for my outdoor kitchen and eating area. One of the many benefits to owning an older (60s) home on a large plot.

Does that make me middle class? No, I'm upper class darling.

Way aye mon! I'm too porsh for awl that awful tat! :unsure: What's a spiralzer, and I really don't want to know what a smeg cooker is!

I would have thought these might have been a better indicator

(1) Owning predominately older furniture.....either retro originals or antique to suit the house.

(2) Having older electrical appliances, especially two bar electric fires (like the Queen)

(3) Not owning a Smeg fridge

(4) Driving a car older than ten years, especially a classic.

(5) Owning a tennis court

(6) Having at least half a million in savings.

I would have thought these might have been a better indicator

(1) Owning predominately older furniture.....either retro originals or antique to suit the house.

(2) Having older electrical appliances, especially two bar electric fires (like the Queen)

(3) Not owning a Smeg fridge

(4) Driving a car older than ten years, especially a classic.

(5) Owning a tennis court

(6) Having at least half a million in savings.

That's not "middle class", That's dead posh!

The article shows the "middle class" show a lot of expensive tat, and that was not my experience, but I grew up a long time ago.

I'm getting one (a Weber gas BBQ), clearing a space in the garden and putting some concrete down to then lay some terracotta tiles for my outdoor kitchen and eating area. One of the many benefits to owning an older (60s) home on a large plot.

Does that make me middle class? No, I'm upper class darling.

As an upper class bod, you really need to rethink getting a weber. Rather, your servants should be spit roasting a whole hog over open coals on your vast acreage

They do if you are working class and have liberated them from the pub

Shows initiative. I guess thoses that have risen have figured out how to live more on less. Those that got their coaster set from Harrods instead are probably members of the precariat, especially if the drinks on the coasters are chilled from the Smeg.

Maybe buying pint classes rather than lifting them from the pub.

Me drinking tea out an old coffee jar was a big talking point between my posh gf and her friends.

One fat pig faced bitch called my stig.

Turned the naked munter away from my door a few months later.

Proudly achieved 0 out of 16 with the confirmation "You are NOT Middle Class"

TBH happy to not be middle class if all it takes to join the club is spending on over priced branded consumer goods to try and keep up with the couple next door. Not very out of the box thinking IMHO.

Did she break your anonymity? :blink:99939.jpg

Actually I'd say tea from a coffee jar is quite avant-gard (posh) these days. Do you do the gin and tonic in a jam jar thing?

P

It was a 1l jar. Ive always drunk buckets of tea.

Keeps the trouser tadpoles swimming.