House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SarahBell

Bedroom Tax Classic

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3802001/Couple-claiming-25-000-benefits-refuse-downsize-two-bedroom-home-wants-FIFTH-baby.html

Suzanne and Derek live in a four-bedroom Housing Association property
They now must move somewhere smaller or pay the 'bedroom tax'
Mother-of-four has chronic fatigue and her partner has autism
He is currently her carer; the pair hope to have a baby together

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3802001/Couple-claiming-25-000-benefits-refuse-downsize-two-bedroom-home-wants-FIFTH-baby.html

Suzanne and Derek live in a four-bedroom Housing Association property

They now must move somewhere smaller or pay the 'bedroom tax'

Mother-of-four has chronic fatigue and her partner has autism

He is currently her carer; the pair hope to have a baby together

Never heard of fibromyalgia until all the single mums were saying they had that.

Ah

'Suzanne has four grown-up children and has lived in a four bedroom housing association property for the last 11 years.'

No TCs then munter.

'She said: 'If he could get a job earning £800 to £1,000 a week, we could get a carer and come off benefits. If I could afford a carer I could have his kids.'

So - 50K ish job?

I go to work to pay an insane amount of tax so these peoples landlords can benefit

Im chronically fatigued also.

I've got more than 1 child to pay for.

I dont have autism...I've got massive anger issues with c****s like this.

She blames government cuts for her predicament.

'Don't you just love this government, you can't even afford to house your own family,'

No. I can't afford to house your family.

Never heard of fibromyalgia until all the single mums were saying they had that.

Fibromyalgia is not pleasant. A guy at my allotment has been diagnosed with it. It does have an impact on his health and fitness but it doesn't stop him having the best plot on the site and coming 2nd in the County Allotment competition. He's over 70 too. He's not carrying 40kg of fat on him though.

Fibromyalgia is not pleasant. A guy at my allotment has been diagnosed with it. It does have an impact on his health and fitness but it doesn't stop him having the best plot on the site and coming 2nd in the County Allotment competition. He's over 70 too. He's not carrying 40kg of fat on him though.

I dont doubt that fibromyalgia exists, in one form or anohter.

I do doubt the huge number of cases of people claiming to have it it DLA.

They made a big mistake then they kept out of the benefit cap anyone getting DLA/PIP.She will get £290 a week,he will get £60 a week,and the rent paid i guess £150 a week,Council tax £25 a week.

Ones like those are the hardest to deal with in welfare reform.Its very difficult to cut without uproar.One answer is make DLA/PIP means test away ESA/Carers allowance.That way you make sure people get an income,but its a lot lower,and benefits cancel each other out instead of all adding on top.

To do so youd have to lower the income support levels tied to them.

I've got fibromyalgia and there is no way on earth I could carry a baby for nine months, give birth and then look after said baby including being woken up several times a night.

When i was growing up not many would want to live in such a street, working people had the opportunity to better themselves and get somewhere nicer.

If it was up to me i'd let them keep their house which should not cost more than £50K to buy.

These individuals maybe useless but you can guarantee there will be people who work in that street in the same predicament when after 30 years of work and paying rent the youngest kid moves out.

When i was growing up not many would want to live in such a street, working people had the opportunity to better themselves and get somewhere nicer.

If it was up to me i'd let them keep their house which should not cost more than £50K to buy.

These individuals maybe useless but you can guarantee there will be people who work in that street in the same predicament when after 30 years of work and paying rent the youngest kid moves out.

Bedroom tax only affects people getting housing benefit,not people who pay all their own rent.In affect it simply lowers the maximum housing benefit you can get to how many bedrooms you need.A couple only need one bedroom,not four so HB is cut,they are welcome to make up the cut themselves.

Bedroom tax only affects people getting housing benefit,not people who pay all their own rent.In affect it simply lowers the maximum housing benefit you can get to how many bedrooms you need.A couple only need one bedroom,not four so HB is cut,they are welcome to make up the cut themselves.

But it affects people who have worked all their lives and got to retirement age or an age where they genuinely couldn't work anymore and need HB.

Just think its sad we've turned into this nation where we're needing to fight like rats over what was once classed as housing that 15 years ago most wouldn't want to live in.

These people are the wrong target.

They may be the wrong target in what is a totally messed up system. But if you are a working family living in a two bed flat with the kitchen and dining room in the lounge with no garden that you are paying £1,000 in rent a month, then you may resent the couple on HB in a four bed house with garden and dining room.

Tis true, but the resentment should be aimed at the people who are in charge of the system that creates endless laws to stop folk building a simple house that could be built for £60K.

We are well and truly divided and conquered.

Tis true, but the resentment should be aimed at the people who are in charge of the system that creates endless laws to stop folk building a simple house that could be built for £60K.

We are well and truly divided and conquered.

if there were no families in B&B accomodation rather than a family homemi might agree with you..

I haven't read the article, as it's the Daily Mail but is the guy with autism actually working? As long as he doesn't have severe autism, I think society should encourage him to work, as people with autism can be of great benefit to our society. They have a great deal to contribute.

I also think there are people in society who should not be working full time, or at least not more than 30 hours a week. I know that's a controversial thing to say perhaps, given how hard some people work but I don't see the problem with that in principle. Whether my neighbour is managing to push out enough tins of beans from the factory to keep our economy going, is not my concern as a resident here to be honest. I'm more concerned if they're playing loud music, threatening people with knives, letting their kids run riot around the area etc.

It's important that people are encouraged to contribute something back to society if they're taking from it like receiving accommodation. I just think, the first thing we should do is encourage people, rather than focus on whether they're playing the system or not, whether their health conditions are real or not etc. It creates the wrong atmosphere. It makes people with genuine health problems, fearful of being open about them, that they are of less worth to society because they have them.

Edited by spacedin