House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SarahBell

Not Normal Or Acceptable

I do not think that it is acceptable for a woman to blame periods on such terrible behaviour.
There are hormones treatments available and extreme cases are usually due to a proper hormonal inbalance that needs medical attention.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-37438767

"Fiona Morrison, an employment lawyer at Brodies LLP in Aberdeen, said, in some cases, severe period pain could be considered a disability."

The examples 'gave up work' in their 40's. How exactly do they survive ? I don't actually need to ask that question.

Fivelive are doing a programme about it from 10 this morning. I did contact them and ask if they were going to do a prog on 'blue balls' but I got no reply.

:D

I know that it varies and some women get to the point of being doubled up in pain but that's very rare; and there should be more openness about it. One employee very occasioanlly suffered with it badly enough to call in (about twice in four years) but on those occasions she called another female employee rather than me the (male) boss who everybody would normally call. She did have a big crush on me so it coudl have been about retaining feminine mystery or somesuch.

This doesn't quite fit in with the 'Strong Independent women' ideals does it ?

Very much a cake and eat it type of thing.

Think about all the man flu jokes that go around from women.

I genuinely have never understood manflu. In an office the frequent sickies tend to be women, although the majority of both women and men are very rarely off sick.

When I've had proper flu, the only time I've had off bar the odd case of the squits, I've been entirley incapciated such that it would take me half an hour to move from one chair where the sun was in my eyes to a different one.

Now I assume that if you are a woman with young children then even at this level of incapcitation you have no choice but to drive yourself through this however hard that was.

That's not however my understanding of manflu which seems to be some sort of very mild / sem-imagined form that men come down with and take to their beds. I have never known this to occur but it's always referenced.

We've had this before. Surely it is a non-story, made up for a low-news day.

The sick-leave system exists and by-and-large works. If they're doubled up in pain then they're 'sick' and shouldn't be there, whether it is period pains, food poisoning or a broken leg. GPs are sympathetic, would give medication where it would help, and would sign a sick-note where appropriate.

But can you imagine the response if we actually had 'period days', particularly if it had been in place as official policy for decades? - There would be a concerted effort to get rid of this antiquated special-leave system that only demeans women - strong, independent, valuable members of the workforce, not some Victorian caricature of sickly waifs who can't cope with normal life. There would be claims that period pains should be considered simply as a pain which would be covered by normal sick-leave policy.

My worklife stats.

10% of the people take 90% of the sick days.

Of that 10% the majority are women.

Men tend to take odd days.

Women disappear for multiple days.

Women accounted for most of the long term sickies. One place I was surprised to see someone I did not know. Tunred out shed been off sick for 3 years.

The higher percentage of women employees, the higher the overall sick rate.

I genuinely have never understood manflu. In an office the frequent sickies tend to be women, although the majority of both women and men are very rarely off sick.

A bad cold can be pretty unpleasant, even if it's nowhere near the standard of flu (which I've only ever had once, and it was grim).

That all said I wish people would take time off sick with just a cold. Better they stay away than give it to everyone else (and I've been sent home with one by my boss because he didn't want it).

We've had this before. Surely it is a non-story, made up for a low-news day.

But can you imagine the response if we actually had 'period days', particularly if it had been in place as official policy for decades? -

There was discussion about it not so long ago.

I think it sets women back hundreds of years, makes us unemployable as a whole and is horrific to encourage people to think it's ok.

If your womb hurts take some painkillers. If you bleed excessively or can't control your mood then go to the doctors and get referred.

As far as ah know women are less susceptible t' flu with better immuniteh because they are child bearers (protect baby). For the same reason they are more sensitive to cold temperatures as child bearers (protect t' behbeh).

Periods and period pain can and does make them have mood swings. This is unfortunate but I don't think employers can afford it, while hormone treatments and pharmaceuticals in general can be very bad.

I have to say that I'm loving all of the 'just go to the doctor they'll sort it out'. Having experienced horrendous periods as a teenager and young woman I can tell you that 90% of doctors couldn't give a single fck how bad your periods are and will do nothing at all. When I was bleeding one week on, one week off I was told I must be miscounting. When I've told them about heavy bleeding I've been told that it seems worse than it is and that I was probably only loosing about a teaspoon of blood a day. When I've told them about pain so bad that I could barely move and threw up any painkillers I took I was told that it was normal to experience some discomfort and to try going for a walk. I'm pretty sure it was endometriosis as it cleared up when I was given endometriosis medication to thin the lining of my womb in preparation for hysteroscopic sterilisation. It's been slowly getting worse again and I'm really not looking forward to having to find a GP that gives a crap.