House Price Crash Forum
fru-gal

Interesting Mumsnet Thread About The Generational Divide

And the follow on statement is:

'Who'll buy your house then?'

Not BTL.

No a pennyless kid.

Not a rich Russian biillionaire.

Itll be someone like you were when you bought your house.

On a similar mortgage multiple.

Didn't take long for someone to blame owning a smartphone for being the reason people can't afford houses that are x10 of their salary .....

They have used a very poor example. It can be used for all manner of things.

Yet a decent one can be had for 15 hours work at the minimum wage.

Now as for housing.....

The MN thread (for those interested) is much more balanced than the above posters indicate. For example, in answer to the smartphones cliche, an MN poster

"Artandco Thu 22-Sep-16 13:38:56

It's £390,000 for a crappy 1 bed flat here. That's a starter home imo. A 10% deposit is getting even harder now as many banks now want 20-30%. Even 10% is £39,000 without fees.

£50 a month is £600 a year. It's would take 65 years of not having a phone to save £39,000."

(and MN itself is OK. Can HPC-ers really chuck stones? :))

Didn't take long for someone to blame owning a smartphone for being the reason people can't afford houses that are x10 of their salary .....

I liked the comment that it would take someone 65 years of not paying £50 a month for a smart phone to save the £39k 10 per cent deposit needed to buy a typical one bed flat in their area.

Just think - don't get a smartphone and by the time you are 80 you will have saved enough to put down a ten percent deposit on a one bed flat!

It makes my blood boil when boomers compare 13% interest rates in the 90's on 30k houses. My dad was in a decent job earning '30k' a year back then, can you imagine it? Earning as much gross as it was to buy an actual house within a year?

I take great pleasure in flaming down ridiculous statements in regards to younger generations.

Smart phones are peanuts nowadays (hence the 3rd world all have them) and young people can't afford to go out p****ing it all up the wall, thats why pubs and night clubs have closed at a record rate in recent years. Young people communicate by social media and when they do go out it's mostly to friends and house parties etc.

Although not quite a millennial, I bought my first flat in the early 2000's and I'm priced out of the market 15 years later. i consider myself to be lucky and can only image the hardship facing the generations after me. The boomers have quickly forgot what their parents and grandparents went through during conflict.

Interesting to read, some people just don't get it. There's the old chestnut about repayments at high interest rates on cheap houses being equivalent to low interest repayments on expensive houses nowadays.

Someone mentions that £7200 is "quite a sizeable deposit" !

Maybe back in 1996.

Spending on smartphones, gadget, or nights out is vital to the economy. If younger generation show any sign of reducing their spending immediately the country slips into recession.

Like saying 'building more houses' will solve the Housing Crisis© everyone knows it's the sodding price of housing that is the issue, the smartphone is used to distract from the elephant in the room that is overpriced housing.

I take pleasure in pointing out that cheap credit in both Spain and Ireland led to house price booms that occurred at a time when hundreds of thousand new homes sat unsold. Likewise, asking those who claim that the young waste money buying new smartphones or going out when they actually spent on those things usually has them boasting of their frugal spending. Their answers dovetail into pointing out that the young's discretionary is what keeps the country afloat.

The smartphone is the cheapest form of entertainment you can buy. Why do people mention £50 a month? Buy one at its one-off cost - iPhone 6 is currently £539, so that's just roughly 11 months of "£50 a month" - then put in a pay-as-you-go SIM and use as much free WiFi as you can. If your phone lasts you 4 or 5 years, it's not "£50 a month" for that time - the last 3 or 4 years are just your SIM card cost - which could be peanuts if you're using WiFi and WhatsApp instead of regular texts/calls.

One night out at a few pubs and a nightclub is easily £50 spent....

The smartphone is the cheapest form of entertainment you can buy.

Yep. Back in the 1980s people were spending more in nominal terms on colour TVs and VCRs than those equivalent items would cost now.

Yep. Back in the 1980s people were spending more in nominal terms on colour TVs and VCRs than those equivalent items would cost now.

A crap stereo in late 80s cost my 600 in tpdays money.

A very good Denon micro will cost me 300 today.

The Boomer anti-smartphone meme is yet another one of those myths that doesn't stand up to even the slightest scrutiny. Electronic entertainment wasn't invented in the mid-2000s, smartphones are just the latest step in a long chain including digital cameras, home PCs, DVD players and VCRs, colour TVs, cassette players, games consoles, B&W TV, crystal radio, LPs, film cameras etc.

My 1920s-born working class grandmother used to go to the cinema several times a week when she was young, that was a completely normal way to access entertainment and information in those days. Imagine taking the whole family to the cinema 3 times a week nowadays, at £40 a go that would cost you £6k a year!

And yet the "too many smartphones" meme just keeps going round and round like an unkillable zombie.

Edited by Dorkins

Re cinema - Cineworld unlimited card is 17 p/m. Bargain if you use it a lot.

My dad once spent a third of his annual salary on a colour telly.

Those criticising young people for buying smartphones also forget two things :

1) if they had been around when they were young, they would have had them too. They are deluding themselves if they think they would have been some sort of paragon.

2) the smartphone in their own pocket. Are they for some kind of technological apartheid?

I remember my Nan saying to my mum that she didnt need the washing machine or tumble dryer, let alone a chest freezer. This was the early 90's.

Re cinema - Cineworld unlimited card is 17 p/m. Bargain if you use it a lot.

My dad once spent a third of his annual salary on a colour telly.

Those criticising young people for buying smartphones also forget two things :

1) if they had been around when they were young, they would have had them too. They are deluding themselves if they think they would have been some sort of paragon.

2) the smartphone in their own pocket. Are they for some kind of technological apartheid?

Does a Blackberry Curve 8300 still count as a smartphone? I have one of those on PAYG. Works really well as a phone to receive calls and easy to send texts from.

The smart phone theme is still being peddled? Lol

Oh you had >10% interest rates on mortgages. That must have sucked. Tell me though what were your savings rates at that time? I'm guessing more than 0.01%... Just a hunch though