House Price Crash Forum

Disabled Woman Shames Two Men She Says Refused To Move From Her Reserved Train Seat: 'i'm Sure Their Wives And Mothers Would Be Proud Of Them':

Si1

HOLA441
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

Basic question: reservations being cancelled if the train is too busy? What's the aim?

Surely, you book a seat in advance precisely because they're a good chance that otherwise you won't sit down. And then you turn up, and you're forced to stand because someone else 'bagged' your seat first.

I can't see what the advantage is for the train company - booked seats that are not claimed (i.e. the passenger does not turn up) are usually taken a few minutes after the train leaves the station (when it becomes clear that the passenger is not going to turn up).

HOLA443

Let's just hope there's not footage of the rest of the train being empty...

:)

I am a pensioner and walk with a stick.

Recently I got on a bus and before I had a chance to look down the front of her dress, a young woman leapt up and offered me her seat.

I thanked her but pointed out that since her generation was working its **** off to allow me to sit on mine, it was only fair that she should sit and I should stand.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

I use the train quite a lot and one thing that annoys me about booked seats is the twats that sit in their booked seats while there are free seats elsewhere.

I’ve seen 4 people around a table while there is a table across the aisle with no one sitting at it.

I've also been in a nearly empty carriage (train nearly at final destination) when someone comes and sits beside me because their reservation says they should.

Come on Britain, sort it out!

If you don't take your reserved seat and then someone else takes it, what happens when the train fills up and the person who had reserved the seat you are now in arrives? Musical chairs?

HOLA447

Recently I got on a bus and before I had a chance to look down the front of her dress, a young woman leapt up and offered me her seat.

I thanked her but pointed out that since her generation was working its **** off to allow me to sit on mine, it was only fair that she should sit and I should stand.

How was the view?

HOLA448
HOLA449

Basic question: reservations being cancelled if the train is too busy? What's the aim?

The times I've been on a busy train and they've cancelled the reservations usually seems to be because the train was a replacement (inevitably even shorter than the half-arsed excuse of a train they were intending to use).

HOLA4410

Does cancelling reservations regularly happen? I have never come across it.

That said, I think there may be some info missing here,like most daily mail click bait articles.

I am sure if she had a printed reservation, and showed it to the guard, it could have been easily sorted out.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Should just have disabled seats and do away with seat reservations.

Either that or the tech is there to give passengers buying tickets at stations seat numbers too.

The latter is a bad idea, it results in the situation described above where I don't have a reservation, sit in an unoccupied seat, then someone turns up saying it's reserved, and hey presto it has indeed changed to be reserved. Also plenty of minor stations only have part-time ticket offices, or no ticket offices or machines at all, and you pay on the train.

The former, it's a good idea to have reservations for everyone, gives you a chance to make sure you get a seat, and several together if e.g. you're a family.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

I use the train quite a lot and one thing that annoys me about booked seats is the twats that sit in their booked seats while there are free seats elsewhere.

Ive seen 4 people around a table while there is a table across the aisle with no one sitting at it.

I've also been in a nearly empty carriage (train nearly at final destination) when someone comes and sits beside me because their reservation says they should.

Come on Britain, sort it out!

The ts and cs on advanced purchase tickets require you use the reserved seat. Mind you I never do when there's space.

I had the bizarre experience of a holder of such a ticket turfing me out of my seat in an otherwise empty carriage. So I know what you mean.

HOLA4416

The ts and cs on advanced purchase tickets require you use the reserved seat. Mind you I never do when there's space.

I had the bizarre experience of a holder of such a ticket turfing me out of my seat in an otherwise empty carriage. So I know what you mean.

I'd probably do that if it was a facing window table seat that actually lined up properly with the window.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Does cancelling reservations regularly happen? I have never come across it.

That said, I think there may be some info missing here,like most daily mail click bait articles.

I am sure if she had a printed reservation, and showed it to the guard, it could have been easily sorted out.

The point was that she's disabled and wasn't able to fight her way down a crowded train to find the guard. I completely empathise with her plight. That's why I don't use trains.

HOLA4419

Should just have disabled seats and do away with seat reservations.

Either that or the tech is there to give passengers buying tickets at stations seat numbers too.

Disabled seats? With the amount on disability no-one else would get a seat! Half of car parks by area will be blue badge holders soon enough at the rate we're going!

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Coming home on the tube today. No seats. Nice study in manners. I and many others standing (middle aged to elderly). One really lardy women with two kids. Neither kid offered adult a seat and lardy parent did not encouage them. Shoot me down, but when I was a kid, I was always taught to give up my seat for my elders.

HOLA4422

Exactly what would the charge be? What is the law that is broken and is it a criminal offence?

I suspect the railway bylaws give passengers significant legal obligations. Otherwise why do they effectively have their own police force ( British transport police)?

HOLA4423

Seat reservations are a bit of a joke. Whenever we order a train ticket at work the system always spews out a seat reservation for each journey, apparently at random times, even though the actual ticket is a standard return you can use on any train. There's no option on the system to just have a ticket without a seat reservation. So that's two reservations that never get used every trip I take. Multiply that by everyone whose company has outsourced travel booking to Crapita and that's a lot of pointless, unused seat reservations!

HOLA4424

Free tube and busses for oaps.

Id be fcked to give up seat for some joyriding old cnt.

Watch with the old spy! Lol. And you are not a kid, was pointing out that children are no longer taught to give up seats for adults. I would have got a clip round the ear if I didn't jump up and offer mt seat as a child

HOLA4425

I'm not sure kids should give up seats for adults..

but everyone should give up their seat for the elderly, pregnant or obviously disabled.

The idea police should get involved is a bit sad really.. I'd rather have a police force to protect and serve, not resolve petty squabbles and domestic disputes. Adults have become a society of children who need a teacher/mother to look after them.

So much police time and money must be wasted because "someone took my seat" or "someone kicked my dog".

No wonder kids get depressed at what they've got to look forward to.

Archived