House Price Crash Forum

Disabled Woman Shames Two Men She Says Refused To Move From Her Reserved Train Seat: 'i'm Sure Their Wives And Mothers Would Be Proud Of Them':

Si1

HOLA441
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443

So the train operator is happy to take the seat reservation charge but doesn't guarantee a seat. What's the answer to this?

I guess that's why I prefer to drive.

Surprising isn't it. If I've found myself in someone's reserved seat I've always respected it and moved, I think it generally does happen.

HOLA444
HOLA445

I understand it's s£50 fine for not vacating a reserved seat when requested. I guess in this story the reservations led screens or the old paper tickets where not working. In which case the guard would have been powerless to intervene. I'd still give up my seat for someone who was disabled though.

HOLA446

The problem is that in this "entitled" society, I fear that more and more people will feel entitled NOT to move from a reserved seat when challenged. And what does the guard do then? I'm not sure dragging the infringer from his/her seat would be possible.

HOLA447

The Torygraph article linked to the Facebook post by the disabled woman, but it's been removed. Not sure what that means.

Well we only hear one side of the story so they probably don't want to be sued for libel. Might be banker types who lose their jobs then sue everyone.

HOLA448

The problem is that in this "entitled" society, I fear that more and more people will feel entitled NOT to move from a reserved seat when challenged. And what does the guard do then? I'm not sure dragging the infringer from his/her seat would be possible.

They can have British transport police board the train at the next stop. Expensive though I would think.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

So the train operator is happy to take the seat reservation charge but doesn't guarantee a seat. What's the answer to this?

The answer is to inform the guard, who will then ask the interloper to vacate the seat. However, it seems that that didn't happen in this case:

[A friend says] The aisles were rammed packed so they were unable to push past everybody to try to find a guard.

Fair enough, but I don't think you can blame the train operator for that (although you might ask why the guard didn't come to check the tickets).

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

'Mrs Lee, a mother of two from Hebden Bridge, West Yorkshire, suffers from chronic pain, which forced her to retire as a lecturer in film theory at Huddersfield University.'

HOLA4416

I understand it's s£50 fine for not vacating a reserved seat when requested. I guess in this story the reservations led screens or the old paper tickets where not working. In which case the guard would have been powerless to intervene. I'd still give up my seat for someone who was disabled though.

I've seen people pull the paper tickets off, and the LED screens are sometimes badly misleading. I sat in a seat once that said "unreserved" only to be later asked to move, yep, it had changed in the middle of the journey, instead of having the usual "Reserved between X and Y."

HOLA4417

'Mr Lee said the two men got off the train midway through the journey, enabling his wife to take her reserved seat and plug in her special electric pad. '

electric pad??

HOLA4418

I've seen people pull the paper tickets off, and the LED screens are sometimes badly misleading. I sat in a seat once that said "unreserved" only to be later asked to move, yep, it had changed in the middle of the journey, instead of having the usual "Reserved between X and Y."

Yup two sides to every story. Typical entitled idiot posting crap on FB where she probably spends most her sad little life and playing the disability card.

HOLA4419

Surely if the lady had booked a seat, it would have said so on her ticket - it doesn't matter if the LED booking tag on the seat is broken, she's got a ticket with the seat number on it.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Surely if the lady had booked a seat, it would have said so on her ticket - it doesn't matter if the LED booking tag on the seat is broken, she's got a ticket with the seat number on it.

Nope. If the reservations are not displayed on train, then reservations are cancelled.

HOLA4422

Possibly. In my case I just moved, it was just a bad system (it was one of those Voyager excuses for trains) but the guy (probably) had a perfectly valid reservation. Sometimes it doesn't work out - there are suggestions that the reservations had been cancelled. I've had that happen when the train's turned up with a different number of coaches to usual (presumably a last-minute replacement) so a fair few number of the seats don't even exist, let alone have a piece of paper or LED screen saying which are reserved.

HOLA4423

'Mrs Lee, a mother of two from Hebden Bridge, West Yorkshire, suffers from chronic pain, which forced her to retire as a lecturer in film theory at Huddersfield University.'

43 too.

So many years of work left in her ...

Lot of people speaking on her behalf.

Maybe theres a reason she's reluctant to go on record?

HOLA4424

I use the train quite a lot and one thing that annoys me about booked seats is the twats that sit in their booked seats while there are free seats elsewhere.

I’ve seen 4 people around a table while there is a table across the aisle with no one sitting at it.

I've also been in a nearly empty carriage (train nearly at final destination) when someone comes and sits beside me because their reservation says they should.

Come on Britain, sort it out!

HOLA4425

I use the train quite a lot and one thing that annoys me about booked seats is the twats that sit in their booked seats while there are free seats elsewhere.

I’ve seen 4 people around a table while there is a table across the aisle with no one sitting at it.

I've also been in a nearly empty carriage (train nearly at final destination) when someone comes and sits beside me because their reservation says they should.

Come on Britain, sort it out!

Lucky you finding a train with a table in it, such inefficient luxuries are waste of space in the wonderful modern railway.

Archived