House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

4 Weekly Bin Collections To Save Money.....

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/bin-collection-recycling-when-is-it-monthly-fortnightly-weekly-move-a7316311.html

Leaving rotting food for a month in the summer guaranteed fly and maggot infestations? Public health disaster waiting to happen?

Remind me again what do I get for my £1,900 of Council Tax per annum? I thought it was just a fortnightly rubbish collection.

This is therefore great news. Given they're halving my very expensive rubbish collection my Council Tax must be about to halve to £950...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/bin-collection-recycling-when-is-it-monthly-fortnightly-weekly-move-a7316311.html

Leaving rotting food for a month in the summer guaranteed fly and maggot infestations? Public health disaster waiting to happen?

So a massive change to reduce the amount of waste going to landfil...

What is their evidence that this will work? Do they know that people are currently throwing stuff in the 'landfill' bin which could be recycled? I'd have thought that it is more likely that initial efforts got the 'easy wins' with a bit of reinforcement by going to fortnightly collections, and they've done some simple extrapolation of waste saved. But I could well imagine that going to monthly collections would make absolutely no difference at all to the quantity going to landfill.

Oh - except that some people will end up going to the 'recycling centre' to dispose of their waste, as they've missed a collection (quite likely during the summer holidays) or they've already filled their bin. Funnily enough, (in my experience, albeit from a council to the southeast of this one) the council will likely be happy enough to cheer the reductions in the waste collected, but ignore the increase in waste taken to the recycling centre (or, at least, not relate one to the other, but moan about poor performance at the recycling centre 6 month's later and introduce some new crazy scheme).

So a massive change to reduce the amount of waste going to landfil...

What is their evidence that this will work? Do they know that people are currently throwing stuff in the 'landfill' bin which could be recycled? I'd have thought that it is more likely that initial efforts got the 'easy wins' with a bit of reinforcement by going to fortnightly collections, and they've done some simple extrapolation of waste saved. But I could well imagine that going to monthly collections would make absolutely no difference at all to the quantity going to landfill.

Oh - except that some people will end up going to the 'recycling centre' to dispose of their waste, as they've missed a collection (quite likely during the summer holidays) or they've already filled their bin. Funnily enough, (in my experience, albeit from a council to the southeast of this one) the council will likely be happy enough to cheer the reductions in the waste collected, but ignore the increase in waste taken to the recycling centre (or, at least, not relate one to the other, but moan about poor performance at the recycling centre 6 month's later and introduce some new crazy scheme).

Or fly tipped.

Remind me again what do I get for my £1,900 of Council Tax per annum? I thought it was just a fortnightly rubbish collection.

This is therefore great news. Given they're halving my very expensive rubbish collection my Council Tax must be about to halve to £950...

Look it up. Almost all your council tax goes to old age people homes / children in care. It costs roughly £600-900 a week for a basic bed in an old age home before you need any additional support. My grandad has been in a home for over 4 years now, savings long gone, so that is almost £200k for a tiny basic room and 3 meals a day.

Bin collections cost about £60-90 a year for a weekly collection.

Messing about on the margins with tiny savings here and there was the bane of my existence working for councils. They need to think big and replan how they deal with the care system.

No doubt this'll spread to nearby Gwynedd where I live. In the last 4 years, we've gone from weekly collections to fortnightly and this year to three weekly ones.

WICAO - most of my council tax seems to go on education and looking after old people.

Look it up. Almost all your council tax goes to old age people homes / children in care. It costs roughly £600-900 a week for a basic bed in an old age home before you need any additional support. My grandad has been in a home for over 4 years now, savings long gone, so that is almost £200k for a tiny basic room and 3 meals a day.

Messing about on the margins with tiny savings here and there was the bane of my existence working for councils. They need to think big and replan how they deal with the care system.

Don't forget those gold plated index linked unfunded pensions. Can't touch those....

Local government makes central government look competent, its no wonder councils can't afford to do anything properly any more.

Put food waste in a composting caddy with compostable liners (cost about 5p each), then tie them up and put them in the council composting bin. Usually those are collected more frequently than landfill waste. Keeping food waste out of your landfill bin also makes it much less unpleasant as the other stuff in there is fairly clean and dry.

Unfortunately this involves a behaviour change which I expect the HPC grumpy old men to respond to in their usual manner.

Sounds absolutely appalling.

We have 2 collections per week and a roadsweeper every day. There are some benefits to living in London.

We have a private sector collection. £200 per year for weekly collection (but they still collect on bank holidays)

Private sector for the have's, living in shit for the have nots.

Even double bagging the stuff is B.S. as it still rots in the heat of summer producing vomit inducing aromas after 10 days whenever the lid is lifted. Even resorted to pushing the bin 20 feet away from the house so we could open the windows at one point.

4 quid a week sounds like a good deal as I could go back to using the wheely bin as a friggin skip to save me going to the councils privatised recycling centre.

Unfortunately this involves a behaviour change which I expect the HPC grumpy old men to respond to in their usual manner.

Yes, it involves having to change behaviour to separate out very small amounts of rubbish, each with its own bin. Might as well have a separate bin for every individual item of waste. In any case food waste is about one of the least objectionable things to landfill.

Private sector for the have's, living in shit for the have nots.

Even double bagging the stuff is B.S. as it still rots in the heat of summer producing vomit inducing aromas after 10 days whenever the lid is lifted. Even resorted to pushing the bin 20 feet away from the house so we could open the windows at one point.

4 quid a week sounds like a good deal as I could go back to using the wheely bin as a friggin skip to save me going to the councils privatised recycling centre.

Not sure what point you are trying to make. I was just stating how much it actually costs for a weekly collection in the real world.

While I sympathise with your concerns about the frequency of rubbish collection, your council tax pays for a lot more than rubbish collection. Education and Social Services will account for at least half of it for starters.

Your Council tax bill should include a breakdown of how it is spent.

Don't forget those gold plated index linked unfunded pensions. Can't touch those....

Local Government pensions are funded. In many cases there is a deficit but the bulk of payments are funded from real funds equities, bonds, property etc.

You are confused with NHS and Civil Service pensions which are entirely unfunded and based on a future promise from taxpayers.

Put food waste in a composting caddy with compostable liners (cost about 5p each), then tie them up and put them in the council composting bin. Usually those are collected more frequently than landfill waste. Keeping food waste out of your landfill bin also makes it much less unpleasant as the other stuff in there is fairly clean and dry.

Yes, it involves having to change behaviour to separate out very small amounts of rubbish, each with its own bin. Might as well have a separate bin for every individual item of waste. In any case food waste is about one of the least objectionable things to landfill.

:wub::wub:;)

Why not give the compostable liners a try? You can get a pack for about 2 quid from the supermarket. You might find you actually enjoy managing your waste streams a bit more rather than just dumping it all into one bin 1970s-style.

The only constant is change, refusing to ever adapt just means you end up miserable about everything.

The public sector want to cut everything except the one thing they should....THEIR WAGES AND PENSIONS!!!!!

While I sympathise with your concerns about the frequency of rubbish collection, your council tax pays for a lot more than rubbish collection. Education and Social Services will account for at least half of it for starters.

Your Council tax bill should include a breakdown of how it is spent wasted

Why not give the compostable liners a try? You can get a pack for about 2 quid from the supermarket. You might find you actually enjoy managing your waste streams a bit more rather than just dumping it all into one bin 1970s-style.

The only constant is change, refusing to ever adapt just means you end up miserable about everything.

Yes. In Manchester liners are provided by the council and food waste is collected weekly, other waste fortnightly. Lots of grumbling from people who think 'they shouldn't be doing the coucils job for them' like they don't have a responsibility to dispose of their own waste?

Each new council tax bill comes with a breakdown of what it pays for but I prefer to not read it so I can continue to pretend it only pays for my bin collection.

Yes. In Manchester liners are provided by the council and food waste is collected weekly, other waste fortnightly. Lots of grumbling from people who think 'they shouldn't be doing the coucils job for them' like they don't have a responsibility to dispose of their own waste?

Each new council tax bill comes with a breakdown of what it pays for but I prefer to not read it so I can continue to pretend it only pays for my bin collection.

Very little of it pays for bin collections.

Most of it goes paying someone to do a pointless job no one really needs and to fund the massive salaries and gold plated pensions of the boomers running the councils.

The council in question actually spent a year surveying the rubbish being put out in the general waste containers - more than half the items should have been recycled.

They will be collecting food waste every week. Exactly as the council here does. It's terribly easy - there's a caddy with liners that lives by the sink that the compostable stuff goes into. Once that's full the liner is tied up and goes in a bigger caddy outside.

We used to have problems with gulls and corvids tearing open the plastic rubbish sacks to get at the food waste. Now that the food waste goes in tough plastic bins with lids, no more problem.

Of course I end up miserable about everything when it changes because most of the changes are crap, embraced only by those who blindly assume anything new is better. In this case doing anything much at all for the sake of the odd bit of uneaten cat food or bacon rind is excessive (things like apple cores will get chucked in the compost bin anyway when I get around to building it).

The amount of food waste generated isn't sufficent to justify separating out.

If you think there should be something sensible about waste in my area ask the local supermarket to put back the plastic and tins recycling bins, right now all I can take down there is glass and paper (plus some pointless ones like shoes and clothes).