House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

spunko2010

Ticks And Lyme Disease

Is the risk of getting this overstated? Where I live the farmer has just placed 2 rams in the field abutting my garden. My neighbour is worried about her dogs getting Lyme Disease - now I'm worried too and have been obsessively checking my skin after walking in it briefly. Sounds like a horrid disease to get but having read about it, it does seem you have to be quite unlucky not to realise you have it.

The farmer told me that his sheep don't have ticks which seems far fetched. Anyone a farmer here?

Interesting to plough through it:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyme_disease

I thought they were associated with deer but in Europe it's sheep. However it says they feed once as an adult so you won't get a tick from the sheep; rather their presence can allow a population to live because they need to jump to a sheep from a smaller mammal like a mouse, from where the ticks catch the diseases.

So as it's just two sheep and the farmer presumably dips them every year I wouldn't personally be worried in your case as that's unlikely to be enough to sustain a localised tick population.

We live in the countryside, and have to remove a dozen or so ticks from our three cats each year. My partner got one once, suspect it had fallen off one of the cats onto the sofa as once they've gripped on, they don't let go easily.

The nearest sheep are at least 500m away. We do get other animals like badgers in the garden, the ticks can also be carried on birds but mostly just sit on grass; if you go for a walk in the countryside and you're walking through knee-high undergrowth you're recommended to wear boots anyway to avoid getting them on you.

They live, sitting dormant, until they detect a potential host, then they crawl aboard and try to find a nice place to attach to. Cats = chin, ears, backside. Humans - check head hair, under arms.

It is a good idea to check yourself if you've been out walking in the woods but I wouldn't be obsessive about checking for them just because you've been in your garden and sheep aren't far away.

Lyme disease in ticks is very rare in this country, that said, just a few months back, I recall reading about someone who caught it from a tick when walking in the woods in Harlow, Essex, but believe that's the only recent incidence.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-35815813

You can find ticks in shops - there had been a tick on someone who had tried on a piece of clothing and, it had come off and stayed on the piece of clothing. Tried on a piece of clothing, found a tick had latched on the piece of clothing

Ticks are everywhere, in tall grass, not just woods. You just have to be sensible, and cover up (not wear shorts) if you out in the rural areas, and check each other when you get back home when you get changed.

1 in 3 people who have been bitten get Lymes disease WITHOUT getting the classic bullseye rash.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Lyme-disease/Pages/Introduction.aspx

There had been an airshow in the field where they did keep sheep. Many people from the towns came to see the airshow. It was a really hot day, and the parents unknowingly let their children roll around in the grass.... we'd hope they didn't get ticks!

Ticks are very prevalent anywhere there are sheep. Warm winters has increased their survivorship and abundance. The worse time for picking one up is after livestock have been removed from pasture as any ticks in the grass will slowly get hungrier and you're more likely to pick one up. I sit in grass a lot and always check before I sit and usually, I can find ticks wandering around if sheep are or have been present. I've had a few ticks on me but never worried about it. DYOR

I've never found a tick on me, other people I know have had several. I think they're more likely to go for some people than others (blood group?) Someone I used to work with did get btiten and got Lyme disease, which has apparently left him with some long-term effects (the story I've heard is that they were uselessly slow in diagnosing it). However I wouldn't worry about it too much, there are huge numbers of people who don't get it.

There do seem to be a lot of them about though, the warm winters already mentioned and AIUI the drop in sheep dipping (because it was really screwing up farmers). Vile things.

I walk the hound every day.

He goes mooching.

I stick to the paths.

Have found the odd one on him when i've checked.

Youve got to whip the little ******* out in one.

When I read this I thought it was meant to be a poem.

He goes mooching.

I stick to the paths.

Have found the odd one on him when i've checked.

Youve got to whip the little ******* out in one.

He's mooching for somewhere to play.

I stick to the paths.

He's genuinely not arsed..

But I'll have to whip the fu*ker out anyway.

I am John Hegley.

Line 4 needs work.

More seriously, I thought I heard that 1 in 3 dogs have ticks.

Once the things have fastened on, they don't come off without a fight with the tick removal tool, and they can be quite hard to locate in the fur of our soft long-haired cat who gets most of them.

The short-haired tabby rarely gets them, I guess because the fur is so very thick-set that they can't find a way to get to the skin easily.

Walking around on the end of the fur they can then fall off onto the sofa; I'd have thought that the most likely way many who don't go out walking in fields are going to get one is via their cat or dog bringing it into the house.

I got ticks attached to me 4 or 5 times in my own suburban over grown garden one season when trying to civilise it- I can only think they came from rats. Horrible things but after a couple of times (including one on my man hood) you kind of get used to it...I even went to work with on my on belly because I was late. I pulled it off at lunchtime.

I used to put marmite on them and they protest I think due to the salt content and lack of oxygen and drop off...I am told now though not to do this given when stressed they spew out their guts increasing infection risk. Best to pull and twist.

In the mid 90's I did a few months work labouring for an Irish guy that was a fibre optic splicer/joiner - this involved sitting in a makeshift tent in various fields/ paddocks etc in the depths of cccland

On one job I started to feel a bit drained/ sweating/ flushing - I brushed my arm (opposite the elbow in the arm join) and felt a lump - screamed as I saw this huge tick, that was when the Irish bloke (that I didn't know too well) pulled out this big knife & promptly took it clean off. Gives me the shits now thinking about it.

As a kid in the highlands, I used to get covered in ticks. This was before lymes had been invented and I suspect that a really bad bout of "flu" that I had was actually a dose of the disease.

Little buggers get everywhere, but do seem to like a well presented scrotum!

I've also had African Tick Bite Fever, that I got, err, in Africa. From ticks. Felt a bit like malaria, but only got one recurring event that was much weaker than the first.

Like a real man, I just cut them out with my Bowie knife and pop them.

I brushed my arm (opposite the elbow in the arm join) and felt a lump - screamed as I saw this huge tick, that was when the Irish bloke (that I didn't know too well) pulled out this big knife & promptly took it clean off. Gives me the shits now thinking about it.

He cut your arm off? ;-)

He cut your arm off? ;-)

Can't be too careful with ticks! Some of them are bigger than dogs. :blink: