House Price Crash Forum
sellingup

How Appealing Are Fixed Fees Rather Than Commission?

I'm comparing local estate agents who in my area typically charge either 1.5% or 2% which means I'll be paying more than £10k in fees plus vat.

I've seen the Purplebricks adverts for around £800 - massively cheaper but their 'local property expert' covers several postcodes so not sure how good his local market knowledge really is.

Now I'm thinking the happy medium would be a local high street type agent charging a fixed fee like Purplebricks but something a bit more reasonable like £2k-£3k which is closer to what I'd pay a solicitor who probably has to do more work than the estate agent as well.

Would anyone else like to see a local fixed fee option on their high street and would they go for it as a seller? If so maybe I'll do a Kickstarter and set one up!

I'm now finding a few high st agents with a low fixed fee but none in my area of North London, so looks like it's going to be a regular agent that is going to cost me over £10k :( unless I'm brave enough to try Purplebricks.

Get 2 local agents round to give you valuations and then go to purple bricks for £5k less than the valuation....

Should sell quickly and keep you quids in....