House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Hovis

Use Of Mobile Phone Whilst Driving

Penalties doubled to six points, £200.

Though as the RAC notes the absence of traffic police makes it unlikely that you'll get caught.

This seems like a return to the 18th century legislation of ridiculously high penalties (being hanged for stealing a sheep) combined with an absence of law enforcement such that the penalty was little deterrent as the possibility of being caught was so remote.

It's all a bit pointless having these lawyers in Westminster dreaming up new and harsher laws when there's nobody to enforce them. All a bit Adolf Hitler in his bunker moving tank divisions on a map that didn't actually exist.

And yes you shouldn't use your phone when driving, apply your make up, try to find your mints, dig out your sunglasses and put them on etc. You should concentrate on your driving.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-37389800

What now happens is that in traffic accidents they go and look at your phone records.

There was a lawyer discussing it on the radio yesterday. He was saying that he currently has two clients who are facing serious charges for causing death whilst using a smartphone at the wheel. The Police simply went and looked at their records.

£200 is a ridiculously high penalty for only half being in control of heavy machinery in a public place that could easily maim or kill someone?

Personally I'd set the penalty at a 12 month driving ban. Monetary penalties are pointless as people will just cough up and carry on. If somebody demonstrates that they can't be trusted to behave responsibly then take the car away from them.

Some people would never use their phone whilst driving.....turn it off.

Others will use their phone whilst driving no matter what the penalty was.;)

Many people are only half in control of "heavy machinery" at many points.

If you are shattered, are having a row with a passenger, are mucking about with your mates and so on it will make you more likely to have an accident. Probably more so than by talking on the phone.

The crime is driving without due care and attention.

Many people are only half in control of "heavy machinery" at many points.

If you are shattered, are having a row with a passenger, are mucking about with your mates and so on it will make you more likely to have an accident. Probably more so than by talking on the phone.

The crime is driving without due care and attention.

Yes, driving without due care and attention.....like trying to tune radio or adjusting satnav etc.;)

Must be pretty difficult to nail down an accident to exact seconds ?

Ah, but your gps enabled dash cam will tell/show exactly what happened. Hung by your own petard (or at least love of technology)

I parked my car up yesterday. Got out of it and as I closed the door an idiot came screaming up the road well over the speed limit. I instictively squeezed closer to the door and he, seeing this, drove towards me. Missing me by about 6 inches. I would have been dead or frecked for life if there was the slightest contact.

He drove off giving me the finger.

I mention this because the sort of penalties mentioned would not stop idiots like this guy who, most likely, will seriously harm someone with his car one day. There was a lady on the radio this week talking about her child who had been killed by a car driver who had nine serious speeding convictions and bans.

It's just a thing because it's easy to police.

Some people could drive perfectly safely using a phone. Others simply don't.

There's no way to police how much attention someone is paying to the road and their awareness of what is going on around them.. so we chose things like using a phone which are assumed to be indicative.

I don't really care what people do behind the wheel as long as they are paying appropriate attention to what's going on.

With regard to looking at records, does using the cars integrated system get you off the hook?

If not, whats the point of them?

Many people stream music from their phone over blue tooth. So what's the difference between being seen to be touching the phone screen, to advance a playlist for example, or touching the ipad like device built in to a new Merc?

Just as distracting.

Lots of grey areas already in existence here.

With regard to looking at records, does using the cars integrated system get you off the hook?

If not, whats the point of them?

Many people stream music from their phone over blue tooth. So what's the difference between being seen to be touching the phone screen, to advance a playlist for example, or touching the ipad like device built in to a new Merc?

Just as distracting.

Lots of grey areas already in existence here.

The issue is the magic eyes in your hands. If you're holding something, then you magic hand eye takes over and it's the only thing you can look at. The moment you put it in some sort of cradle and attach it to the dashboard it's fine. :)

The moment you put it in some sort of cradle and attach it to the dashboard it's fine. :)

According to the lawyer on the radio this week people make the mistake of thinking that they are ok if the phone is in a cradle or if they have a headset. Apprently not.

I recall a recent New Scientist article where they had proved this multi taking theory a myth. The brain switches between focus on things very quickly, but for that time the focus is on that specific item . ie phone while driving

7.06 in .I see a lot of youngsters texting while driving

I think I've said before that I play a 'spot the phone user' game with my son as we drive around. We have an almost perfect hit rate of spotting erratic driving (i.e. bad lane discipline on roundabouts) and subsequently seeing the driver is on the phone. The only reason people on the phone don't have more crashes is that everyone else has their wits about them.

I would be happy to see the phone confiscated on the spot for anyone seen using it whilst driving. Once confiscated, the miscreant would have seven days to prove they were innocent and reclaim their phone

For one, the sort of person that cannot resist using it at the wheel will find this a huge deterrent. It is also progressive as it will hit the richer harder.

I parked my car up yesterday. Got out of it and as I closed the door an idiot came screaming up the road well over the speed limit. I instictively squeezed closer to the door and he, seeing this, drove towards me. Missing me by about 6 inches. I would have been dead or frecked for life if there was the slightest contact.

I mention this because the sort of penalties mentioned would not stop idiots like this guy who, most likely, will seriously harm someone with his car one day. There was a lady on the radio this week talking about her child who had been killed by a car driver who had nine serious speeding convictions and bans.

If you reported an incident like this in a workplace the other guy would probably be sacked. If you reported it happening on the street in the UK the authorities would most likely ignore it.

When I was a schoolboy I had a teenage motorist in a car with his mates intentionally flick a lit cigarette out the window of the car at me as I rode past on my bike. I believe it was intentional because he looked right at me for seconds before he did it, apart from the two of us the road was empty, and he drove off laughing. The cigarette bounced off my face centimetres from my eye. I reported it to the police including the licence plate of the car and they said that because I didn't have a doctor's note saying I'd actually been injured they wouldn't do anything.

In the UK there are two completely different standards for what is acceptable safe behaviour, one for the workplace and another for the street.

I think I've said before that I play a 'spot the phone user' game with my son as we drive around. We have an almost perfect hit rate of spotting erratic driving (i.e. bad lane discipline on roundabouts) and subsequently seeing the driver is on the phone. The only reason people on the phone don't have more crashes is that everyone else has their wits about them.

I would be happy to see the phone confiscated on the spot for anyone seen using it whilst driving. Once confiscated, the miscreant would have seven days to prove they were innocent and reclaim their phone

For one, the sort of person that cannot resist using it at the wheel will find this a huge deterrent. It is also progressive as it will hit the richer harder.

Agreed.

£200 is a ridiculously high penalty for only half being in control of heavy machinery in a public place that could easily maim or kill someone?

Personally I'd set the penalty at a 12 month driving ban. Monetary penalties are pointless as people will just cough up and carry on. If somebody demonstrates that they can't be trusted to behave responsibly then take the car away from them.

I completely agree with this. Consfiscating a person's car for an offence like this is going to hit a raw nerve whereas I doubt fines will have the same impact long term.

I mention this because the sort of penalties mentioned would not stop idiots like this guy who, most likely, will seriously harm someone with his car one day.

Yes, he deserves to have his car confiscated. I wonder if Jan Ademec was in the same state of mind as your idiot when he crashed into these 2 footballers who were changing a wheel at the side of the road? One of them lost both his legs.

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/this-is-the-mugshot-of-jan-adamec-the-man-who-crushed-footballers-shaun-whiter-and-joey-abbs/story-29701528-detail/story.html

I had a similar wierd encounter a few days ago. I went to my local recycling PC centre to get rid of my old PC tower. Rather than drive into the centre, I parked on a layby across the road closest I could get to the electrical recycling section. Right beside where I parked is the entrance to the traveller's side. As I was about to leave I checked for quite a few seconds before doing my 3 point turn. No cars were coming so I started the manoeuvre. As soon as I positioned my car at a right angle to the road a shiny red Ford Focus came hurtling down the road and stopped about a metre before my car.

I wasn't sure if he wanted to drive into the travellers site or the recycling centre. I just froze as he could have probably squeezed in behind me to get the site if he was in such a hurry. I think the sad looking young man just took umbridge to my 3 point turn. Once he eventually stopped I then carried on with my 3 point turn and just put my hand up to say 'thanks'. In my rearview mirror I see him drive into the travellers site. I muttered something very un-PC and then carried on.

It seems that many idiot motorists take umbridge if you do a something perfectly legal but unusual when it comes to driving when in fact we should be looking out for one another.

Yes, he deserves to have his car confiscated. I wonder if Jan Ademec was in the same state of mind as your idiot when he crashed into these 2 footballers who were changing a wheel at the side of the road? One of them lost both his legs.

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/this-is-the-mugshot-of-jan-adamec-the-man-who-crushed-footballers-shaun-whiter-and-joey-abbs/story-29701528-detail/story.html

40 months in prison (of which he will serve maybe half) and then a 5 year driving ban. Why the **** is that not a lifetime driving ban? Seriously, how dangerous do you have to demonstrate yourself to be before a judge will say "this guy probably shouldn't be allowed to drive"?

A 12 month mobile phone ban too would really focus a few minds.

It is beyond me the arrogance/stupidity/selfishness of some people who are obviously trying to use their smart phones while driving - I see them almost every day, fascinated by something on their lap and totally oblivious to what is going on around them.

I know a traffic police officer and these kind of things are very difficult to prosecute.

Almost every day I send thanks to the daft bint who drove into the back of my car in her range rover whilst conducting what I hope was a very important phone call. The fact that my neck is still sore about 10 years later is a constant reminder of her selfishness.

I recall a recent New Scientist article where they had proved this multi taking theory a myth. The brain switches between focus on things very quickly, but for that time the focus is on that specific item . ie phone while driving

7.06 in .I see a lot of youngsters texting while driving

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaHKjjsocm0

Wow, that is all very sobering and show just how quick things can go wrong. Add some c#nt playing 'angry birds' into the mix and the results could be horrific.

40 months in prison (of which he will serve maybe half) and then a 5 year driving ban. Why the **** is that not a lifetime driving ban? Seriously, how dangerous do you have to demonstrate yourself to be before a judge will say "this guy probably shouldn't be allowed to drive"?

Absolutely. Automatic lifetime driving ban for anyone who causes death or extremely serious injury to another person.

It seems like holding a full driving licence in this country is like a basic human right, taken for granted and not something that should be preserved. Get the total fckwits off the road (EVEN if means that they can no longer work as a travelling paperclip salesman) and congenstion on the roads will probably be halved.