Pizza Toast -good version with pesto mozzarella and fresh basil

Spag Bol/ Puttanesca/ Pomodoro

Salmon pots and veg with various cheat sauces :marie rose, hollandaise, parsley

Eggy Bread/ Croque monsieur

Bacon Sandwich/BLT

Chicken Caesar Salad/Hot Chicken herb salad

Risotto - mushroom, blue cheese

Sponge Cake

Can do these in less than 10 mins except for risotto which takes a little time to get it right. Boiled pots may take a tiny bit longer than 10 mins.

Most can quickly evolve with a few different ingredients.

Our 13 year old can do most of these but the kitchen is a disaster area afterwards and she takes a little longer.

Recipes available on request.

She can also do my amazing Tiramisu from scratch - I only know one place in UK which is as good!

I wouldn't bother with curry as it takes too long to make properly and likely reasonable take away nearby. Also flavour is lost too much on freezing. However making decent boiled/pillau rice is a must as it saves so much money.

I've tried a few different curry books and recipies, and finally got a curry I was happy with after my wife got one of these tala measure tins as a present from a friend

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tala-Thali-Cooks-Measure-Coriander/dp/B00BM5NQYY

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Following on from the 'teach your kid's thread...

I have often thought that if I didn't need to make good money I would love to run basic cooking courses for students / men who are scared to cook etc.

But what meals would you teach that will make people want to continue cooking properly?

For me..

Roast Dinner

Lasagne

Risotto (preferably spicy butternut squash)

Thai red curry

Steak with pepper sauce and veg

Stir fry with soy / fish sauce / sweet chilli sauce etc

Duck breast with sauce, saute potatoes and greens

Ok, I accept this isn't student food but I think if you can do the above you are well on you way to being a pretty decent home cook.

As someone who's spent a bit of time in professional kitchens pretending to be a chef, I'd argue that while you undoubtedly need a few classics to fall back on, the things which most people lack are basics such as temperature control, testing for 'doneness', timing, browning etc. If you can instill these into people, they'd be much better placed to cook a variety of dishes fearlessly. The amount of people you see pushing food around a frying pan, cooking the bejesus out of a piece of meat/fish or turning the hob up/down for no reason whatsoever is alarming!

A knowledge of basic skills, along with a greater understanding of ingredients would surely give people more confidence to start improvising, which would surely be the ultimate aim of any cooking course.

HOLA445

As someone who's spent a bit of time in professional kitchens pretending to be a chef, I'd argue that while you undoubtedly need a few classics to fall back on, the things which most people lack are basics such as temperature control, testing for 'doneness', timing, browning etc. If you can instill these into people, they'd be much better placed to cook a variety of dishes fearlessly. The amount of people you see pushing food around a frying pan, cooking the bejesus out of a piece of meat/fish or turning the hob up/down for no reason whatsoever is alarming!

A knowledge of basic skills, along with a greater understanding of ingredients would surely give people more confidence to start improvising, which would surely be the ultimate aim of any cooking course.

Fair points. I would add that knowing how to rescue something makes you less afraid. Also, timing can be important so knowing what you can and can't slow down makes it easier to bring several components together at the right time.

HOLA446

Boiled egg, fried egg, poached egg, omelette,scrambled egg, egg bread, ham egg and chips.

There is a good test to find a good eating establishment.....try their ham, egg and chips....if that is horrible the chances are the rest of the menu is highly likely to be the same. ;)

HOLA447

Boiled egg, fried egg, poached egg, omelette,scrambled egg, egg bread, ham egg and chips.

There is a good test to find a good eating establishment.....try their ham, egg and chips....if that is horrible the chances are the rest of the menu is highly likely to be the same. ;)

Are you still a spokesman for the "Egg Council"? :blink:

HOLA448
HOLA449

Ah, so that's who winkie is.

With the all the eggs and ham - I'd kind of assumed he was The Cat In The Hat..!

;)

XYY

"Green eggs and ham" is one of the most influential philosphic writings of the last century. Winkie appears to be female. Don't worry, I didn't get "female" straight off, although I think you might be becoming a poof! You will have to move to Brighton.

HOLA4410

Winkie appears to be female. Don't worry, I didn't get "female" straight off, although I think you might be becoming a poof! You will have to move to Brighton.

Sorry winkie pet - I'd assumed you were a blurk.

And as for you Pinny, how dare you suggest that I'm a poof...?

I've not even bummed Mrs XYY, never mind a hairy-àrsed welder...!

;)

XYY

HOLA4411

;)

XYY

You want a trip to Redcar.

And the only "proof" I have that Winkie is female, is she says so! I've never seen her naked, to have a proper check like! :mellow:

HOLA4412

You want a trip to Redcar.

And the only "proof" I have that Winkie is female, is she says so! I've never seen her naked, to have a proper check like! :mellow:

Redcar is ghe Brighton of the NE.

Very similar, ghriving lgbt culture.

And wind turbines.

David Coverdale blazed a trail for long hair, tight trousers and sexual ambiguity.

White snake was named after a popular butt plug.

Honest.

HOLA4413

from scratch?

Even when I lived five minutes away from the chinese supermarket I wouldn't.

It depends.

Teres the proper way - takes time fish sauce etc.

Or my way tin of coconut milk, water, curry powder, chiles and half a tub of peanut butter in a pressure cooker.

HOLA4414

Redcar is ghe Brighton of the NE.

Very similar, ghriving lgbt culture.

And wind turbines.

David Coverdale blazed a trail for long hair, tight trousers and sexual ambiguity.

White snake was named after a popular butt plug.

Honest.

I am the All Knowing Pin. :(

HOLA4415

;)

XYY

I am a lady, or try to be.....and I love the cat in the hat, green eggs and ham.... ;)

HOLA4416

Absolutely.

The test of a good restaurant is to look at the menu and say that you don't fancy any of the dishes so could they cook you an omelette. I will wager a good portion of British catering establishments will be floored by such a request as they are geared up to serving pre-prepared food and the 'chefs' can't cook at at all. In my experience top dining restaurants at one end of the scale and family run cafes at the other are the places most likely to be able to come up with the goods.

HOLA4417

Absolutely.

The test of a good restaurant is to look at the menu and say that you don't fancy any of the dishes so could they cook you an omelette. I will wager a good portion of British catering establishments will be floored by such a request as they are geared up to serving pre-prepared food and the 'chefs' can't cook at at all. In my experience top dining restaurants at one end of the scale and family run cafes at the other are the places most likely to be able to come up with the goods.

Agreed, the chain restaurants have, and have practiced a way of cooking various set menus, often from the freezer....all alined to cater for the mass market.....everything is-aligned to a T......ask them to do anything simply, out of the ordinary, that is their remit they would surely be stumped. ;)

HOLA4418

Agreed, the chain restaurants have, and have practiced a way of cooking various set menus, often from the freezer....all alined to cater for the mass market.....everything is-aligned to a T......ask them to do anything simply, out of the ordinary, that is their remit they would surely be stumped. ;)

Southern-Fried Turkey or Duck would have them baffled at KFC...

XYY

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Agree with this, but you need a few basic dishes to start. I've been cooking regularly for a year or so and impressed myself when I made something that tasted awful half way through being cooked but I knew how I could rescue it.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Roast beef + all the trimmings

bacon sarnies

full english

roast pork

lamb shanks in red wine

beef wellington

omelettes of all types

slow cooker stews and soups

pretty traditional

oh, and baking biscuits - always a good skill as it makes friends at Uni instantly.

That's a first, a list of meals all of which I would enjoy.

No curry, chilli, sour anything, spices, parsley or lemon :D.

I sometimes watch the TV chefs and think "that looks good" and then they chuck in some overpoweringly strong flavouring that would render it inedible for me.

Archived