House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CunningPlan

Seven Meals

Following on from the 'teach your kid's thread...

I have often thought that if I didn't need to make good money I would love to run basic cooking courses for students / men who are scared to cook etc.

But what meals would you teach that will make people want to continue cooking properly?

For me..

Roast Dinner

Lasagne

Risotto (preferably spicy butternut squash)

Thai red curry

Steak with pepper sauce and veg

Stir fry with soy / fish sauce / sweet chilli sauce etc

Duck breast with sauce, saute potatoes and greens

Ok, I accept this isn't student food but I think if you can do the above you are well on you way to being a pretty decent home cook.

Our lass takes care of all that posh "Come Dine With Me" stuff like.

I'm a blurk, so I do only three dishes - curry, chili-con-carne and spag-bol.

Oh, and of course - any outdoor cooking..!

Between us we seem cover most of the bases...

XYY

A good stew. Cawl as we say in Wales.

Most men have memories of a Mum or Grand-Mother who has cooked them nice stew but they never learnt for themselves how to cook it. If you could bring that memory back, and give single men the ability to cook a stew that would suffice for several meals, you would do well IMPO.

I keep meaning to buy a slow cooker just so that I could dump stuff into it and get some kind of stew out of it that I could enjoy over 2 - 3 days.

Good list. Although I started that thread with intention of 7 main meals, I'd say vital they know how to make a cooked breakfast.

Agreed. But we have it for Sunday tea every now and again. If you get the timing right you can do the whole thing on baking trays in the oven.

Most men have memories of a Mum or Grand-Mother who has cooked them nice stew but they never learnt for themselves how to cook it. If you could bring that memory back, and give single men the ability to cook a stew that would suffice for several meals, you would do well IMPO.

My nana on me mam's side made the most phenomenal leek-pudding - I do wish I could recreate that..! Her corned-beef and onion pies were legendary too..!

We all know you Taffs are fond of leeks - is leek-pudding a traditional dish down there in the Welsh Wales as well as up here...?

XYY

I keep meaning to buy a slow cooker just so that I could dump stuff into it and get some kind of stew out of it that I could enjoy over 2 - 3 days.

To an extent but you need dumplings (preferably parmesan ones) which don't really keep. Currently I would swap a stew for a really good tagine.

My nana on me mam's side made the most phenomenal leek-pudding - I do wish I could recreate that..! Her corned-beef and onion pies were legendary too..!

We all know you Taffs are fond of leeks - is leek-pudding a traditional dish down there in the Welsh Wales as well as up here...?

XYY

Puddings have died out - I can recall my nan making them but pies basically replaced them. Plenty of leek pies - chicken and leek being probably the most popular.

Nice! The thing with stew is you need to use cheaper cuts to get the flavour and make sure you cook it long and slow. Finally it always tastes better having cooled off and been in the Fede for a few days.

To an extent but you need dumplings (preferably parmesan ones) which don't really keep. Currently I would swap a stew for a really good tagine.

Yes, and making good dumplings is an art in itself. I have not eaten them in years because of the fat reason. Used to love them. My Mum would make them in cawl and call them 'dough boys'.

Nice! The thing with stew is you need to use cheaper cuts to get the flavour and make sure you cook it long and slow. Finally it always tastes better having cooled off and been in the Fede for a few days.

Yep, fullly agree.

I used to go to a butchers near me, which had become trendy with a lot of Londoners who had moved to Swansea, and I would ask for a cheap breast of lamb. Cost me about a quid or two. There would be people in there buying expensive cuts of meat - and I could feel the disdain from the othe customers when I ordered the lamb - but the breast of lamb was vital for a good Welsh cawl.

As you say, tastes better the day or two after it is cooked.

Agreed. But we have it for Sunday tea every now and again. If you get the timing right you can do the whole thing on baking trays in the oven.

Indeed, although I'd then add some sautéed potatoes too, which really seem to add something to a cooked breakfast (my cheat is to microwave a spud, cut into thick slices and then fry briefly until outside is crisp and brown, or bake in oven).

Following on from the 'teach your kid's thread...

Thai red curry

from scratch?

Even when I lived five minutes away from the chinese supermarket I wouldn't.

from scratch?

Even when I lived five minutes away from the chinese supermarket I wouldn't.

I can, but don't very often as there are some really good pastes about. Just as you can make puff pastry but even most chefs don't.

Same is true of satay sauce. A scratch version can be 20+ ingredients. Or you can use home pride cook in curry sauce and crunchy peanut butter. Or anything in between. I am not a purist.

Repertoire needed for student life :

Pizza Toast -good version with pesto mozzarella and fresh basil

Spag Bol/ Puttanesca/ Pomodoro

Salmon pots and veg with various cheat sauces :marie rose, hollandaise, parsley

Eggy Bread/ Croque monsieur

Bacon Sandwich/BLT

Chicken Caesar Salad/Hot Chicken herb salad

Risotto - mushroom, blue cheese

Sponge Cake

Can do these in less than 10 mins except for risotto which takes a little time to get it right. Boiled pots may take a tiny bit longer than 10 mins.

Most can quickly evolve with a few different ingredients.

Our 13 year old can do most of these but the kitchen is a disaster area afterwards and she takes a little longer.

Recipes available on request.

She can also do my amazing Tiramisu from scratch - I only know one place in UK which is as good!

I wouldn't bother with curry as it takes too long to make properly and likely reasonable take away nearby. Also flavour is lost too much on freezing. However making decent boiled/pillau rice is a must as it saves so much money.

If your 13 year old is eating mushroom and blue cheese risotto you are Jamie Oliver and I claim my free meal.

She can cook. However her diet is 60% pizza, 30% Steak (she likes fillet best), 10% Cake.

I am hardly exaggerating at all!

Roast beef + all the trimmings

bacon sarnies

full english

roast pork

lamb shanks in red wine

beef wellington

omelettes of all types

slow cooker stews and soups

pretty traditional

oh, and baking biscuits - always a good skill as it makes friends at Uni instantly.

Where's fried bread in these lists?

it's in my full english. and if I have soda bread, you get double bubble.