House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scunnered

Man Jailed For Shining Powerful Torch At Raf Jets Flying Over His Home

A man has been jailed for 18 months for endangering aircraft after shining a powerful torch at RAF jets flying training missions over his island home.

John Arthur Jones, a former council housing director, was so upset by the roar of the jets flying over his land in Anglesey, north Wales, that he took to aiming the beam at pilots. The lights were dangerously distracting and sometimes pilots of Hawk jets who were being trained for combat had to abort landings.

While doing vital checks before landing, sudden lights were disorientating and landings were often abandoned, they said. The jury heard how it took time for pilots vision to adjust in the dark and once a cockpit was illuminated it could take 20 minutes or more for them to regain perfect vision.

That could lead to a dangerous situation where a disorientated pilot might not believe his instruments and could lead to a crash, the court heard.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/sep/16/man-jailed-shining-powerful-torch-raf-jets-flying-over-home-anglesey-wales

Let's hope our enemies don't find out about this.

If it was commercial flights he should certainly have been punished.

If however a torch, not even a laser, has this bad an effect upon military planes that might <gasp> have to fight a war then he has done them a favour by showing how useless they are and should get a cash reward.

Ha ha! I could probably upset their comms if I was bothered! That must be one hell of a six cell torch! We do indeed live the the era of stupidity!

If it was commercial flights he should certainly have been punished.

If however a torch, not even a laser, has this bad an effect upon military planes that might <gasp> have to fight a war then he has done them a favour by showing how useless they are and should get a cash reward.

That's what I thought too. I don't want to make light of it (haha!), but if you can defeat a multimillion pound fighting machine with a handheld torch, it seems like a bit of a weakness.

They've been flying around there for years - has he only just become annoyed with them?

Oh no. Read a bit further. He's trying to sell his holiday chalets that he's developed and hasn't sold any. He's blaming the RAF activity.

I'd say he'd be better off:

Blaming himself. He knew they would be there before he started the development. Is he an idiot?

Blaming the property market. I don't know about Anglesey, but down the coast the market is pretty dead. Perhaps it is because people don't want to buy things like that?

20 minutes for you to recover from a torch beam????

So no need for machine guns or missiles just put torches on aircraft!!!

Something doesn't add up in this story.

Does sound a bit long. 20 minutes would be for a long duration bright light in the full field of view. The defence could have got an expert up who might have said about recovery times to short pulses which only take up a fraction of the field of view... But approach is one of the more risky parts of flight and you don't want distractions - I'd say it was a fair verdict [particularly given the behaviour of the guy - in his summing up the judge said he was lying throughout]

"former council housing director" tut tut

Just another retired, public sector boomer having a foot stamping, dummy spitting tantrum because he can't get his own way.