House Price Crash Forum

Thinking Of Going With Sky Fibre

The Masked Tulip

HOLA441

Hi,

I have an offer of a Sky 12 month new member deal for basically £200 for broadband including line rental free calls and basic TV for £200 for their unlimited 17MBps service.

Or basically the same deal but with fibre 'up to' 38Mbps for £318 for 12 months.

My current ISP charged me an extra £36 a few months back as I supposedly downloaded an extra 120GB in a month - no way did I do that.

Shockingly, I am currently paying £28.50 per month for a service that is called 'unlimited' but is now supposedly capped at 30GB per month PLUS £18.99 BT line rental.

So either of the above Sky deals will halve my current payment plus give me some TV on top - not that I watch it much.

I am wondering whether to pay the extra for the fibre or not. My neighbour opposite has BT fibre and that gives them about 70Mbps download - I think they are the only ones on fibre. But I have read a few posts from people online saying that their Sky fibre is not that much faster than their non fibre connection.

Thoughts anyone.

HOLA442

Your existing deal sounds very high, there are loads of much cheaper deals:

https://www.uswitch.com/broadband/news/2016/08/vodafone_scraps_home_broadband_line_rental_charges_faq/

They're all coming in about £25 so £300 pa including landline costs.

If their TV offering is worth £200 to you then that first one is a great deal depending for how long it ties you in (and whether you can cancel it...)

Do you seriosuly need the extra data? I work from home at least one day a week, don't how much data that takes, and don't have a TV so watch catch up / YouTube videos which must be a stack of data and have never even had a warning about usage. This is TalkTalk but they all seem much of a muchness.

HOLA443

https://www.uswitch.com/broadband/news/2016/08/vodafone_scraps_home_broadband_line_rental_charges_faq/

If their TV offering is worth £200 to you then that first one is a great deal depending for how long it ties you in (and whether you can cancel it...)

Do you seriosuly need the extra data? I work from home at least one day a week, don't how much data that takes, and don't have a TV so watch catch up / YouTube videos which must be a stack of data and have never even had a warning about usage. This is TalkTalk but they all seem much of a muchness.

I should have changed a few years ago. My mistake.

Both of the above deals are for unlimited data. Just one is supposedly much faster on fibre but I have my doubts whether I actually will see the extra speed.

They both tie me in for 12 months at which point they shoot up. But now I am of a mindset that I will change every 12 months.

HOLA444

I should have changed a few years ago. My mistake.

Both of the above deals are for unlimited data. Just one is supposedly much faster on fibre but I have my doubts whether I actually will see the extra speed.

They both tie me in for 12 months at which point they shoot up. But now I am of a mindset that I will change every 12 months.

The question is: do you need the higher speed?

I have two desktops and I usually only get video hanging on one of them - the cheaper slower one - so the speed's ok and I should have been bought a better second PC.

I don't know about changing every year, that sounds a lot of hassle. I usually stick with my existing suppliers for things unless they mess up, suddenly shoot the price up, or I notice a great deal elsewhere.

HOLA445

Sounds about right.

If you're paying more than that, chances are a chunk of it is paying for other things. Like the Stupidity Tax that pays for a handful of celebrities to get paid as much in a week as many of the people paying it will earn in a lifetime. Sky is of course the epicentre of that rottenness, being the major sponsor of the footballers who are probably the most overpaid of all.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

That's rather harsh TMT!

I put a lot of effort in first off: looking at price, customer service, reputation, what happens year two when the introductory offer goes. After that if it's about the same every year I don't move. In the last couple of years all I've changed is car insurance because mine shot up £100 after a no fault on my part accident.

I like that people do move because it keeps providers on their toes, and cosnumer legislation meaning all customers get better deals not just new ones helps.

The worst case of inertia of which I heard was about ten years' ago: a couple at one of my parents' dances mentioned that they still rented their telly; something I thought had died out in the 70s. I forget figures but they could basically have bought a decent one new every two years with the rentals. When people's incredulity at their renting it and the price they were paying struck home they contacted their rentor who immediately offered to halve the monthly rent.

Sensibly they said no thanks and bought one instead.

HOLA4410

That's rather harsh TMT!

I put a lot of effort in first off: looking at price, customer service, reputation, what happens year two when the introductory offer goes. After that if it's about the same every year I don't move. In the last couple of years all I've changed is car insurance because mine shot up £100 after a no fault on my part accident.

I like that people do move because it keeps providers on their toes, and cosnumer legislation meaning all customers get better deals not just new ones helps.

The worst case of inertia of which I heard was about ten years' ago: a couple at one of my parents' dances mentioned that they still rented their telly; something I thought had died out in the 70s. I forget figures but they could basically have bought a decent one new every two years with the rentals. When people's incredulity at their renting it and the price they were paying struck home they contacted their rentor who immediately offered to halve the monthly rent.

Sensibly they said no thanks and bought one instead.

Hate was too harsh but it was quicker to type on my mobile.

I often say things on my.mobile that Info not mean as look at all the gibberish that is now appearing....

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Archived