House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

spyguy

Funny Wee Geordie Man, Single Mum, Pr Company

'Kind hearted' mum raises money for wee man.

Then she hires a PR company @ 550/day for her foundation???????

Then does not pay bill of 6K??????

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/alan-barnes-guardian-angel-katie-11882946

And there seems to be a lack of info on the foundation.

Hmm.

Initially nice person raise money.

Gets loads.

Tries to make herself a star.

A few 100k is unaccounted for.

PR Claire Barber, of Alnwick, Northumberland , then offered to help raise funds for Katie’s charitable foundation for £550-a-day.

Katie believed the fee would come from TV appearances and media work.

Ms Barber believed Katie would pay from her own pocket.

But the part-time beautician donated the money raised for Alan and other good causes, and does not have the £6,687 which Ms Barber is claiming in a county court order.

Where do you get that a few £100k is unaccounted for?

I read that as her raising the money, the PR woman coming in seeing the pound signs and getting on board, expecting Katie would take a percentage of the donations for her own time and for expenses such as PR, and then Katie gave all the donations away as she thought that was what they were for.

Sounds like a genuinely nice woman doing the right thing and being taken advanatge of by a PR shyster to me.

Where do you get that a few £100k is unaccounted for?

I read that as her raising the money, the PR woman coming in seeing the pound signs and getting on board, expecting Katie would take a percentage of the donations for her own time and for expenses such as PR, and then Katie gave all the donations away as she thought that was what they were for.

Sounds like a genuinely nice woman doing the right thing and being taken advanatge of by a PR shyster to me.

Its a bit murky.

Claims that 300K+ was raised.

Claims she gave wee geordie ~150K, keeping the balance for her foundation, which does no exist bar being mentioned in a few articles.

The PR contract is nuts - apparently it was agreed via email!

I think she started of as a nice woman and, somewhere along the way, got corrupted/15minute fame.

My guess is that she's going to be looked at a lo closer and some bad decisions will bite her.

Naive girl gets herself into trouble?

“Claire offered to settle for £5,000 if Katie signed a gagging order and agreed not to speak about this.
Makes me a bit cross.

BUT
“It was for PR for March, April, May, June 2015 for £550 a day. We do not understand how the work which she did equated to that kind of money owed.”

That also makes me a bit cross. Don't say you'll pay and then when you get the bill question the work's worth.

Naive girl gets herself into trouble?

“Claire offered to settle for £5,000 if Katie signed a gagging order and agreed not to speak about this.

Makes me a bit cross.

BUT

“It was for PR for March, April, May, June 2015 for £550 a day. We do not understand how the work which she did equated to that kind of money owed.”

That also makes me a bit cross. Don't say you'll pay and then when you get the bill question the work's worth.

I take it that she was questioning not the rate but how she managed to clock up 14 1/2 days doing a bit of PR for a tiny charitable fund.

“She told her that she had knocked £150 off her normal daily rate. Then she got a bill for £7,770 for 14.5 days over four months.

Its a bit murky.

Claims that 300K+ was raised.

Claims she gave wee geordie ~150K, keeping the balance for her foundation, which does no exist bar being mentioned in a few articles.

The PR contract is nuts - apparently it was agreed via email!

Ah ok, but taht wasn't in the article where it says:

Katie Cutler, who set up the charitable fund the Alan Barnes Appeal in response to the mugging and robbery of pensioner Alan Barnes in Gateshead, which eventually raised more than £300,000 for him to buy a new house, at the Cabinet Office in London after it was announced she received a BEM in the Queen's Birthday Honours List

The mum who raised £330,000 for disabled mugging victim Alan Barnes is being threatened with bailiffs in a bitter legal dispute.

From which I read she gave him all of it. I don't know if she did or it went to other good causes or whether there actually is a question mark over it. There's nothing in that article to suggest that last.

Ah ok, but taht wasn't in the article where it says:

From which I read she gave him all of it. I don't know if she did or it went to other good causes or whether there actually is a question mark over it. There's nothing in that article to suggest that last.

The cheque .. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3792602/Disabled-mugging-victim-Alan-Barnes-stumps-just-TENNER-woman-raised-333-000-buy-new-house-threatened-bailiffs-7-000-debt-doesn-t-want-money.html

It a bit vague.

APrrently he received 150k, with the rest reamining in the foundation.

She then decided to raise £1m - as she had a telnt for raising money - *after* donating the money to the wee gerdie.

This will be when the PR comes in.

That clarifies it.

So the initial fundraiser was excatly as it appeared and all the money went to the guy who was mugged.

She then decided to carry on with a new good causes foundation and the PR lady offered to help her and, given what's listed, probably did do the 14 1/2 days work.

But she was handing out the good causes cash as fast as it came in without thinking that she had overheads to pay, primarily the PR woman who wasn't working for free. And I guess the moeny stopped coming in before she thought to do this.

She sounds well intentioned but doesn't know how to run a charitable business; which is unsurprising as she's only 23.

Based upon that the PR debt is a fair one, she hasn't kept any money to pay it as it's all been given to good causes, and the mugged pensioner should be helping her out IMHO but is being incredibly miserly.

Shame.

It a bit vague.

APrrently he received 150k, with the rest reamining in the foundation.

She then decided to raise £1m - as she had a telnt for raising money - *after* donating the money to the wee gerdie.

This will be when the PR comes in.

The giant novelty cheques says he got it all

The giant novelty cheques says he got it all

Well, its all vague:

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/gateshead-mum-katie-cutler-says-10031376

'She set up an online donation page and contacted the Chronicle - and within 21 days had raised an ­astonishing £330,000 by channelling people’s astonishing generosity. “I didn’t anticipate it,” she says, still perplexed. “I had never spoken to a ­journalist before. It didn’t cross my mind this would happen.”

Alan accepted £150,000 and bought a house. This week, he revealed he has sold it and wants to start a new life in the Shetland Islands. It’s an ambition he wouldn’t have been able to realise before.'

Well, its all vague:

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/gateshead-mum-katie-cutler-says-10031376

'She set up an online donation page and contacted the Chronicle - and within 21 days had raised an ­astonishing £330,000 by channelling people’s astonishing generosity. “I didn’t anticipate it,” she says, still perplexed. “I had never spoken to a ­journalist before. It didn’t cross my mind this would happen.”

Alan accepted £150,000 and bought a house. This week, he revealed he has sold it and wants to start a new life in the Shetland Islands. It’s an ambition he wouldn’t have been able to realise before.'

It may just be the way they've worded it.

If you follow the links to other stories you have:

The 67-year-old is selling the Gateshead home he bought with nearly half of the £330,000 the public raised for him, just three months after buying it.

Alan used half of the money to buy a two-bedroom terraced house, which he paid £150,000 for in April.

After he admitted in May that he was struggling to settle in his new home, we teamed up with the Sunday Mirror to give the pad a luxury makeover.

But Alan is now keen to make a fresh start, with the house now on the market for £155,000.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/alan-barnes-what-gateshead-pensioner-9820489

This suggests that he has the whole £330k.

You may be right, I don't know Katie of course, but it seems very unlikely to me that we are looking at a mini Kids Company scandal here. It all looks above board if (unsurprisingly given that it was a spur of the moment thing) amateurish.

'Kind hearted' mum raises money for wee man.

Then she hires a PR company @ 550/day for her foundation???????

Then does not pay bill of 6K??????

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/alan-barnes-guardian-angel-katie-11882946

And there seems to be a lack of info on the foundation.

Hmm.

Initially nice person raise money.

Gets loads.

Tries to make herself a star.

A few 100k is unaccounted for.

I know her, a friend of a friend. She basically wanted to become a Z list Celebrity, thinking that Alan Barnes would give her some of the money she raised for him to keep her in the spotlight. She wanted a career as an Agent of sorts for troubled people, taking a cut of the money raised the way an Actors Management Agent would. Her aims are not entirely Philanthropic, she wanted to make good dough doing it.

Fundraising is a good racket if you've got the stomach for it. You can't register a charity for a specific individual so that's where fundraisers come in. Find a suitably emotive case, usually a child that needs £lots to improve their quality of life, promise the parents the cash needed in x amount of time, say 2 years, get the contracts signed and go hell for leather raising cash. As long as the £lots is delivered on time, the rest is yours, minus expenses of course.

Back when I was in the game, at least 33% collected in the name of a registered charity had to go to that charity. They can then spend that income on salaries etc. all legal and maybe only 5% gets to to whatever the charity was set up for.

We can accept a product that comes off the production line at 5 pence an item retailing for a quid, it's just market forces and the way it works but when a quid comes out someones pocket and only 5 pence of it gets to the intended beneficiaries, we see it as a scam, even though the same market forces apply.