House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

stuckin2up2down

Will Drones Affect Commerical Flights?

The technology has really come along way. You can now pickup something that travels a few km, 2000ft high, is very stable and for almost half an hour for a grand.

Surely in the wrong hands it could do alot of damage?

These black lives matters people could of just used a drone to splash paint on the runway of city and closed it for hours.

Drones will, sooner or later, eliminate commercial flights. Instead of getting on a plane and flying for hours to another country, you'll just rent a drone there, put on a VR headset, and fly or drive it around as though you were there.

I can't see that they would do anymore damage to a plane than birdstrike.

Noisy things though, like a loud angry swarm of wasps. When I've seen these videos where teenagers (presumably) were using them to spy on their sunbathing neighbour it escapes me how they ever thought they were going to get away with it. It's like peeping through a knot hole in the fence whilst firing up a chainsaw and thinking you won't be noticed.

Noisy things though, like a loud angry swarm of wasps. When I've seen these videos where teenagers (presumably) were using them to spy on their sunbathing neighbour it escapes me how they ever thought they were going to get away with it. It's like peeping through a knot hole in the fence whilst firing up a chainsaw and thinking you won't be noticed.

Yes Frank! Why not use the chainsaw to make a bigger hole in the fence.

Birds rarely have metal bones. I'm guessing a large drone (i.e. the kind that are actually capable of getting near an airliner in flight) going through an engine wouldn't be a good day.

Birds rarely have metal bones. I'm guessing a large drone (i.e. the kind that are actually capable of getting near an airliner in flight) going through an engine wouldn't be a good day.

There have been enormous remote controlled planes around for years.

LMA r/c models (20Kg +) are governed quite closely by the CAA (through an accredited organisation).

I'm licensed for commercial drone use but I can see it being so heavily restricted as to be unviable, and quite soon.

Logically, the future of drones will be smaller/quieter and with better range/duration. I think this actually scares the authorities more because the current crop of drones are big enough and noisy enough to attempt some sort of policing.

You'd really think the CAA would be more concerned with airliners operating in our airspace with fake non-RR parts in the engines?

No doubt there are all sorts of restrictions that sensible, law abiding citizens should comply with, but you can still just buy fairly massive planes on ebay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC3-1-14-scale-r-c-plane-/272381370267?hash=item3f6b31df9b:g:uSMAAOSw8gVX3sgZ

I think we're heading for a near total ban on drones for public use

Good luck with that. In ten years every tourist arriving at Heathrow will have a drone following them around to post 'dronies' on Facebook.

While ISIS will just make their own airline-killer drones with a 3D printer, a few motors and some simple electronics.

You're right, but the rules are already in place to control these things, they just aren't being enforced much. A bit like driving whilst using a mobile.

I think we're heading for a near total ban on drones for public use, they just don't quite know how to frame it yet as a 'safety issue' or 'preventing terrorism' or 'stopping people filming children' or whatever it will be.

A while ago it was reported that a drone nearly collided with a plane on approach to Heathrow. It was definitely a drone, as reported by the MSM for a few days. And then, it was actually a plastic bag, not widely reported at all.

Ha that plastic bag correction escaped me.

The rules are pretty straightforward for non commercial, not within 50m of roads, people, buildings and not in restricted airspace. I can't see this lasting much longer.

New ones have a range of several miles and are pretty cheap. Wouldn't take much to use one to fly near to heathrow and shut it down for a few hours.

As they get smaller, quieter and longer distances they wont be legal for much longer imo.

As they get smaller, quieter and longer distances they wont be legal for much longer imo.

That would make as much sense as agricultural-era Britain banning the steam engine.

It steam engines at steam engine time. And it drones at drone time. The technology exists, they're easy to build, and incredibly useful. Luddites won't stop them.