House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Red Dwarf Xi

Started watching the first episode in work today and then the bastards called me into a meeting.

Hopefully I'll get time to watch it tomorrow (and get paid to do so). Will post up thoughts here.

Started watching the first episode in work today and then the bastards called me into a meeting.

Hopefully I'll get time to watch it tomorrow (and get paid to do so). Will post up thoughts here.

Barstewards. Some people are really inconsiderate.

I enjoyed the Red Dwarf but came back here to say thank you and the site was down - Putting the crash in housepricecrash! Very frustrating recently. But thanks for the red dwarf link. I hadnt realised that Doug Naylor was taking less of a role.

I used to love Wrinkles radio show by Grant and Naylor back in the day. Some episodes still online if you search.

It may seem an odd thing to say but for me Red Dwarf went downhill as soon as they changed the big ship for Starbug, IIRC Blakes 7 did similar.

It's the sheer scale and endless possibilities of the enormous spaceship that made it into an extra character. I'd like Dr Who to make more of the Tardis which is meant to have vast numbers of huge rooms.

I used to adore Red Dwarf - I think the first 5 or 6 seasons are great, but for me it was at it's best in the first two seasons; basically just 3 of them and holly trapped in space.

Just like Porridge, or Bottom, it had the classic sitcom setup of a couple of trapped blokes.

However there were moments in the first two seasons that were quite touching and darker than you usually see in sitcoms - where they go into Rimmer's neurosis and loneliness ect... the episode that comes to mind is where Lister uploads the memory of a lost love to Rimmer's brain because Rimmer had never been in love, or the 'Better Than Life' episode where they're in a VR game where all their wishes come true - Rimmer's brain rebels and he ends up with 7 kids and a whinging wife :)

....and now, without any further ado, I'll check out the new episode!

Joe, you're sacked!

Yes it's the trappedness that makes a good sitcom. The first series of Game On was superb IMHO for this reason. Two people trapped by their terrible careers and one trapped in the flat by their agoraphobia.

I'd have that series up there was one of the best sitcoms ever but maybe you have to have been stuck in a job you don't like with no money and a rubbish flat and thinking "This was not what I expected when I graduated" to really appreciate it.

Joe, you're sacked!

Yes it's the trappedness that makes a good sitcom. The first series of Game On was superb IMHO for this reason. Two people trapped by their terrible careers and one trapped in the flat by their agoraphobia.

I'd have that series up there was one of the best sitcoms ever but maybe you have to have been stuck in a job you don't like with no money and a rubbish flat and thinking "This was not what I expected when I graduated" to really appreciate it.

Will have to check Game On out - I remember it existing back in the day but I never watched it.

Well I've seen the first episode of the new Red Dwarf - and I was impressed! :) Few naff jokes at the start but stick with it - I have to say I was particularly impressed by the production quality - they have enough ££ for a few different sets; whereas I seem to remember a revamp that was done horribly a few years ago in front of a green screen. Good to see Kevin Eldon crop up too. I found the storyline interesting enough and there was a few moments at the end where I actually did chuckle out loud.

So based on that I'm looking forward to the rest of the series. All they need to do to make it perfect is get Norman Lovett's 'Holly' back!

The first series of Game On was the gem; the later series were ok but suffered from the fact that there is only so much you can do in a flat with three characters so widened the storylines and it lost its spark.

I am retrospectively surprised that a key actress in two of my favourite 90s programmes (Game On S1 and Strange, both on YouTube) was Samantha Janus, she must actually be a very good actress as merely being good looking is not enough to carry a series.

First season of Game On was great. Not too bothered about the 2nd season though.

The first series of Game On was the gem; the later series were ok but suffered from the fact that there is only so much you can do in a flat with three characters so widened the storylines and it lost its spark.

Exactly - in the same way there was only so much you could do with 3 guys trapped on a spaceship in red dwarf 1 and 2 so the story-lines had to get wackier. Will definitely check Season 1 out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jumping_the_shark