House Price Crash Forum

What Book(S) Are You Reading At The Moment?

Bossybabe

HOLA441

"The Places in Between" Rory Stewart

"Daemon" Daniel Suarez

"Guns, Germs and Steel" Jared Diamond

"The Fiery Cross" Diana Gabaldon - yes, it's a bit girly but the history's accurate and the book's undemanding to read when falling asleep.

Over.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443

This thread is a bit girlie :D

Amazing how many women have a need to ask what books someone is reading. I can't recall the last time a man asked me that question. But it is something I hear all the time from women. Clearly there is some deeper judgement thing going on.

To answer your question. I have been quietly working my way through wikipedia for several years now.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

This thread is a bit girlie :D

Amazing how many women have a need to ask what books someone is reading. I can't recall the last time a man asked me that question. But it is something I hear all the time from women. Clearly there is some deeper judgement thing going on.

To answer your question. I have been quietly working my way through wikipedia for several years now.

That was almost a tirade, TMT. My motivation was to give me ideas for reading personally and for the book club I'm in.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

I've nearly finished Brian Lumleys 'Necroscope' series, quite enjoyed it.

I am also working through James Patterson's Alex cross books in order.

When I've got through those I'm saving Henry Blofelds autobiography 'Squeezing the orange' for a rainy day.

Can heartily recommend Alex Scarrows books 'Last light' and 'Afterlight.'

HOLA4421

My favourite childhood book.

What a put down :(

I jest. I also don't agree with TMT, I love books and reading and always welcome discussion of them. There are endless chats at work about football, TV but rarely books.

I have a fond memory of an archaeology dig near Oundle where each evening four of us would sit quietly for an hour or so and read. Reading in company is a rare pleasure.

HOLA4422

Thanks for the tip. I'm enjoying GG&S very much.

It was a brave effort to try to put that together. It's a couple of years since I read it but I recall there were some incorrect bits with regard to the development of civilisations but when you're trying to be that sweeping you will have gaps in your knowledge.

It was however guilty of determinism for which you always get slapped down in the human sciences. That you have more species of plant and animal suitable for domestication in a certain area does not automatically mean that they get domesticated and away you go. You still need the sort of society that will undergo the innovation and change that will enable the change to agriculture.

HOLA4423

Not read one for ages but Cornwell's Sharpe books are always good.

And they are semi fiction as well as most (all?) are based on true events.

Each one has a great wee epilogue at the end describing the real events, battles, interesting history of words and phrases etc..

Great reading. And I'm not much of a reader !!

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

And Cornwell's Grail series where you get Crecy. All really good reads.

Cornwell's "The Warrior Chronicles" detailing the struggle between Vikings and Saxons in the 9th and 10th Century are really interesting and enjoyable.

I'm not reading a book at the moment as I'm trying to fit more exercise into my day, so I have been listening to podcasts. I would thoroughly recommend both "Revolutions" and "The History of Rome" by Mike Duncan.

Archived