House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

southmartin

Good Shirts

Over the years i've run the gamut of buying cheap M&S shirts, then more expensive 'designer' ones, then even bespoke ones from bimvolino.. but i'm still looking for the 'perfect' shirt (though of course the bespoke ones come close)

My shirt needs:

1. to fit well
  2. be of good quality material
  3. ideally be around £30-40 (or less)
  4. Have the perfect, stout collar that doesn't go all floppy

In reference to ¢4, what I want is to be able to wear a shirt without a tie, or doing the top button, but still to have crisp lines (the shirts Simon Cowell wears are great... though i'm not keen on the way he wears them!)

Any recommendations?

If you are talking office shirts, probably Charles Tywhitt or TM Lewis. Sadly although both trade heavily off 'Britishness' they are not made in Britain.

But they are as good as stuff twice the price (which are also no longer made in Britain)

To be honest I just wear what I want to the office now, no one has stopped me....yet!!

Over the years i've run the gamut of buying cheap M&S shirts, then more expensive 'designer' ones, then even bespoke ones from bimvolino.. but i'm still looking for the 'perfect' shirt (though of course the bespoke ones come close)

My shirt needs:

1. to fit well
  2. be of good quality material
  3. ideally be around £30-40 (or less)
  4. Have the perfect, stout collar that doesn't go all floppy

In reference to ¢4, what I want is to be able to wear a shirt without a tie, or doing the top button, but still to have crisp lines (the shirts Simon Cowell wears are great... though i'm not keen on the way he wears them!)

Any recommendations?

From my reading of the Gentlemen's fashion forums, with shirts it's about finding your fit and sticking with that brand.

For me that would be TM Lewin's 16 collar slim-fitting.

TM Lewin or Charles Tyrwhitt are sufficient for low/medium end stuff.

Gieves & Hawkes (or a similar Saville Row name) for high(er) end stuff. Obviously you can go much higher - Brioni etc.

Shoes from Church's.

Another vote for Charles Tyrwhitt here. Very good shirts.

+1 here

I did a very similar thread about a year ago and went with the same advice. You won't get better.

Slightly over your budget, but having said that I think they usually have an offer of 3 for £100 which would meet your price point.

Good as you can mix and match collar and sleeve length too.

I have found in recent years many TM shirts getting noticeably thinner.

Now for their heavy solid feeling ones you generally have to go for their upper range. Can't mind the name of it.

Never heard of Charles Tyrwhitt - gonna buy a couple of extra-slim casual shirts from their site. Thanks for the heads up.

As a skinny tall bloke it can be hard to get shirts that don't drown me, so I'd been meaning to find someone who made good slim fit casual shirts. Don't mind spending a few quid either if anyone has any recommendations for a more expensive option.

I seriously suggest that you pop into a good charity shop.....some excellent well made men's shirts...mostly deceased effects. ;)

I'm with winkie on this one; it gives me something to look for when I would otherwise aimlessly mooch around charity shops knowing that I wouldn't give anything else there house room.

So far two Charles Tyrwhitt and two decent high street. Less than £20 for the four and all as new.

Never heard of Charles Tyrwhitt - gonna buy a couple of extra-slim casual shirts from their site. Thanks for the heads up.

As a skinny tall bloke it can be hard to get shirts that don't drown me, so I'd been meaning to find someone who made good slim fit casual shirts. Don't mind spending a few quid either if anyone has any recommendations for a more expensive option.

Yep them and Lewin will give you good options in terms of a skinny neck but I assume long arms ?

I am the opposite !! My neck is 17 I think. But arms only 33. I'm a baboon !!

But I still get 16 neck shorts but just never do top button.

I'm with winkie on this one; it gives me something to look for when I would otherwise aimlessly mooch around charity shops knowing that I wouldn't give anything else there house room.

So far two Charles Tyrwhitt and two decent high street. Less than £20 for the four and all as new.

I've been lucky with coats/jackets in charity shops. I guess it's posh here and they don't stock urine stained shell suits, that somebody did an overdose in. :(

Black or brown shirts send literally the right message.

I mostly wear black shirts. They show up the creases less, and so I can forgo ironing then.

Most people's go to mocking banter is "man in black" johnny cash references, rather than anything else.

I've been lucky with coats/jackets in charity shops. I guess it's posh here and they don't stock urine stained shell suits, that somebody did an overdose in. :(

Coats last for decades, I don't want a wardrobe full. Shirts begin to start looking worn after two years / a hundred wears.

I mostly wear black shirts. They show up the creases less, and so I can forgo ironing then.

Most people's go to mocking banter is "man in black" johnny cash references, rather than anything else.

I too mostly wear black shirts, and also play guitar. I shall relaunch myself as Johnny Credit. :(

Yep them and Lewin will give you good options in terms of a skinny neck but I assume long arms ?

I am the opposite !! My neck is 17 I think. But arms only 33. I'm a baboon !!

But I still get 16 neck shorts but just never do top button.

Aye I think my arms are fairly long like, big lanky sod.

I'll see if they do returns, and try and 'find' my size, even if it take a couple of goes. Once I've found one that fits, I'll put a bigger order in.

Charles Tyrwhitt have 4 for £100 deals on their website.

Stick in the following code and get another 10% off and free delivery.

VBOXDEL

That's great, but then I would need a tie without soup on it, and some new flip flops. :o

Charles Tyrwhitt have 4 for £100 deals on their website.

Stick in the following code and get another 10% off and free delivery.

VBOXDEL

Thanks - just ordered 4 extra slim shirts and some socks, and got the 10% off.

Went for medium even though my measurements suggest I might be small - a 6 foot 2 bloke shouldn't be wearing a small shirt.

Next stop is getting me some new trousers as my jeans are a few years old and lose their shape quite quickly after a wash.

29/30 inch waist and 34 inch legs - and none of that ripped sh*te ;) suggestions?

Next stop is getting me some new trousers as my jeans are a few years old and lose their shape quite quickly after a wash.

29/30 inch waist and 34 inch legs - and none of that ripped sh*te ;) suggestions?

I always considered the inside leg >= the waist to be the determinant a male model physique. I'm currently W34/L32 and aiming for parity.

Thanks - just ordered 4 extra slim shirts and some socks, and got the 10% off.

Went for medium even though my measurements suggest I might be small - a 6 foot 2 bloke shouldn't be wearing a small shirt.

I know you have already ordered but a wee trip here to get measured and try a few on could be a plan.

Tm Lewin and CT shirt sizes are pretty much the same in my experience.

http://www.tmlewinshirts.eu/on/demandware.store/Sites-tmlgbp-Site/en_GB/Stores-Start?&cbUseCurrentLocation=false&searchAddress=Belfast&searchCountry=GB#&doSearch

I know you have already ordered but a wee trip here to get measured and try a few on could be a plan.

Tm Lewin and CT shirt sizes are pretty much the same in my experience.

http://www.tmlewinshirts.eu/on/demandware.store/Sites-tmlgbp-Site/en_GB/Stores-Start?&cbUseCurrentLocation=false&searchAddress=Belfast&searchCountry=GB#&doSearch

Ah cool - just round the corner from me - I tried to cancel my order online but can't seem to do it, but I'll check that place out over the weekend anyway. Cheers.