House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CunningPlan

Grandad / Grandpa / Gramps - Who Decides?

Was discussing with the wife last night

Who gets to pick first - is it the woman's parents - and does it lead top arguments?

Are some people Grandad to one set of grandkids and Grandpa to another?

And no, no personal need to know (yet!)

Who gets to pick first - is it the woman's parents - and does it lead top arguments?

The dear wife has already been planning ahead for this eventuality for years! :o

She insists that she will be 'grandma' (and me 'grandpa') - whilst our daughters parents-in-law will have to make do with being be 'granny' and 'grandad'.

I have to agree that I do find the term 'grandpa' more endearing/appealing. But I have no intention of getting drawn into these petty squabbles, when the time comes. I'll let the women fight it out.

That aside, the mere thought of possibly being a grandpa in the not too distant future is suddenly making me feel so old. :(

I think it develops kind of organically, as there is often a name in place from cousins, and it makes sense for the grandparents to be called the same. I think parents generally want to adopt the same name that their parents had, but I have not known it be controversial, I suppose it could be if two people desperately wanted to be the same thing.

When I was very small I kept mispronouncing Grandpa and my mispronunciation stuck (Grapan), so in that case, the grandchild.

For the same reason we are Mango and Bumpa, which we are more than happy with.

Let the kids work it out, as suggested, much more interesting and endearing.

A friend's daughter has a Daddad, pretty clever imo.

That's how the Scandies do it:

FaFa = Father's Father

FaMa = Father's Mother

MaFa = Mother's Father

MaMa = Mother's Mother

English is extraordinarily loose in defining familial relationships, many other languages are very precise in the form of address. In Chinese there are dozens of different words just for Aunt depending on the birth order of that generation etc.

We decided - grandchildren are our daughter's, so it seemed natural to use the same words they used.

Daughters had two sets the same, so it was Granny A and Grandpa B, and Granny X and Grandpa Y.

My son in law's parents are Granny (same as me) with her name added, and Granddad - Mr B is Grandpa.

I would def. not want to be Grandma (sounds fat and even older than Granny) or Nana or Nanny. So it's just as well nobody's asked me to.

My sister's kids had a Granny and Grandpa on our side, and a Nanny and Granddad on BiL's.

All chosen by the GPs themselves.

I just use Nanny and Grampy, with the grandparents actual first name added if I need to differentiate. Now I think about it, the wife's father did express a preference for Grandpa, but everybody seems to have ignored him. Oh well.

In our family it seems to follow a tradition of using same calling their own parents used, Grandma/Grandad in my parents case.

My daughter called her Grandad 'GanGan' from a young age , it's stuck and he likes it because it's affectionate.

We have a tradition where the mothers mother is nannan or nanna, and fathers mother is grandma.

Both fathers are grandads.

..and I bet your partner is as fat as a Toc H lamp.

:)

She was renty - until I put her on the Toc H Lamp Diet tm

The plan is dead-easy to follow, if she goes anywhere near the fridge - you lamp her...!

She now gets asked from autographs from people who think she's Lena Zavarone - How can I ever thank you Toc H..!

Mr XYY, Fulchester

XYY