House Price Crash Forum
Fairyland

Private Landlords Being Used To Get To The Top Of The Waiting List For Council Houses!

Property118: https://www.property118.com/the-cost-of-bad-eviction-advice/90675/

Just gong through this myself, tenant decided to keep his housing benefit rather than pay the landlord. The council refuse to discuss the situation with me, quoting data protection. They did tell me it is none of their business how the claimant spends his housing benefit.

He has not left after section 21, so now going through the court process. He has been told by the council to stay put, and when he is evicted they will house him. So private landlords are being used to get to the top of the waiting list for council houses! The council being short sighted, will now have to house this tenant for ever, as which private landlord will offer a rental property with ccj? I will still take him to court for arrears and costs, which will but him in debt for many years. I will never take anyone on benefits again. This makes no sense for all involved!

Sounds like it makes pretty good sense to the tenant - pocket the cash and get another house?

It doesnt work like that though. If you are in receipt of hb and living in private rented you are deemed to be housed. Not paying wouldn't get you a council house, it would take you off the list until debts were paid. Clear rules about this.

The assumption the landlord is making is that the tenant is aiming to get a council house. He may simply be pocketing the money before heading back home or moving in with his Misses. There are plenty of exits that don't feature a council house.

Correct. Not paying rent will mean he is intentionally homeless and therefore intelligible for a council house.

^^ This, the staying put bit is more about getting free housing for longer than getting anywhere on the housing list. The advice given by the council is standard in these sort of circumstances & not specific to the example.

He won't go to the top he will be put into a bed sit or some kind of temp accommodation at best.

Still must increase your points to a level where you have a chance of getting a council house. Stick it out in some hovel for a year then get council/social housing house at peppercorn rent for the rest of your life vs paying eye watering private rents for the rest of your life.

Still must increase your points to a level where you have a chance of getting a council house. Stick it out in some hovel for a year then get council/social housing house at peppercorn rent for the rest of your life vs paying eye watering private rents for the rest of your life.

Nope. If you have any housing debt and are anything but the highest priority band you are effectively off the list.

If you are the highest priority with more than £300 in debt you can't get allocated a house until that debt is down to £300 or less.

If you were the highest priority and in private rented anyway then not paying your rent is the single most stupid move you could make as you would move from top of the council house waiting list to bottom.

Source: Just written a flowchart on all this for an allocations system I installed for a council

I always thought the advice by councils was to continue paying your rent all the way up to bailiff eviction in order to 'qualify' as homeless and get housed by the council?

I always thought the advice by councils was to continue paying your rent all the way up to bailiff eviction in order to 'qualify' as homeless and get housed by the council?

It is, you have to actually be homeless to get assistance from the council as homeless as most councils have very little accommodation to offer - so any offer will only ever be made at the last minute.

Failure to pay rent will usually remove the council's obligation to assist as that will be classed as the tenant making themselves intentionally homeless.

It doesnt work like that though. If you are in receipt of hb and living in private rented you are deemed to be housed. Not paying wouldn't get you a council house, it would take you off the list until debts were paid. Clear rules about this.

+1

You don't get a council house for getting evicted for non payment of rent.

Although the treatment of not spending HB on rent is never classed as fraud?

1. What if the tenant has mental health problems and unable to manage their finances? Tenants can have the same hoarding disease like some BTL LLs except objects hoarded could be different. While a BTL LL is hoarding property tenant may be hoarding cars, designer wears ...

2. What if the LL has increased has increased rent multiple times and HB is not enough to cover the full rent?

1. What if the tenant has mental health problems and unable to manage their finances? Tenants can have the same hoarding disease like some BTL LLs except objects hoarded could be different. While a BTL LL is hoarding property tenant may be hoarding cars, designer wears ...

2. What if the LL has increased has increased rent multiple times and HB is not enough to cover the full rent?

Quick answer for both scenarios would be - bad luck....although there's more chance of an exception to the rule with #1.

They would not get a council house. Only in very very limited circumstances. The council will just put them in emergency accommodation and maybe let them join the waiting list.

Rather than get a council house, they are much more likely to be offered a place with another private landlord which would be arranged by the council. If the person in question lives in Greater London, they'd probably be offered a private rental somewhere cheap like Birmingham, in which case they'd lose a lot of their points on the waiting list too once they moved.

Edited by spacedin

I didn't think councils could provide much in the way of housing these days. Well, not in London, they ship people out to other parts of the country.

Bit of a high risk strategy, really.

I hope that is true but I doubt it.