House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nosler

Herschel Supply Company!

Last year I bought a Herschel bag online. When it was delivered I was disappointed with the cheap looking “leatherette” handles and the 100% manmade materials.

After a year’s light use the zip has broken.

I can’t remember the place I bought it from (I’ve thrown away my receipt and I can’t find the details in my inbox). So effectively I’ve spent £60 on a bag that was a pile of pants!

The bag I had previously was a freeby from my employer and that lasted about 3 years. I was honestly expecting about 15 years use from the Herschel bag.

So I guess the lesson learned is to stay away from hipster brands that charge big money for shonky goods.

How do you know it was genuine?.....but true, well known brands do at times use inferior components and cut corners...a fine balance to play between price v quality, require repeat business but not at the expense of killing their customer and the bad word of mouth of their once was customers....;)

IMPO virtually everything is made in China these days and many brand names, which used to be great when made outside of China, are now living on past reputation, still charging high prices and, um, the quality has gone to the dogs.

I see this a great deal in hiking clothing, hiking shoes and now more and more in cycling clothing.

Something to bare in mind is that there are now an extra billion or so Chinse consumers for whom brand is everything - it will probably be many years before they get brand cynical in the way that many people in the West now are. If they are like the Japanese or the South Koreans they probably will never get over it.

This means that loads of brands can churn out stuff as cheaply as possibly and still make a shed load of money selling stuff to the Chinese. We are probably an after-thought.

Hmm yes. A lot of previous good brand names outsource to China. I was rather disappointed at a particular Blu-Ray player, which kept going wrong. Nothing wrong with China as such if there is good quality control. :huh:

Hmm yes. A lot of previous good brand names outsource to China. I was rather disappointed at a particular Blu-Ray player, which kept going wrong. Nothing wrong with China as such if there is good quality control. :huh:

Always bought karrimore rucksacks. Always quite expensive and very good quality. Last a lifetime stuff. Wanted a smaller one so looked em up on tinternet. Cheap as chips, 12 squid. Went to sports direct (I know) as only place to get one. Quality shite. Google tells me that this great British brand has been bought out by the twit who owns sports direct and now made overseas.

I have had the same Manhattan Portage messenger bag for around 5 years, and it looks like it will go strong for at least 5 years if it's any help, unfortunately in the same price bracket as Herschel.

It was made in Taiwan though (at the price you could expect it to be made in the US)

Must admit when I see people with those Herschel bags I think what a hipster **** ;)

I'm in two minds as to whether to buy another antler wallet, I bought one 22 years ago and it still does the job, looking a bit used though now but I won't complain as its had me sitting on it for the best part of that time.

I looked on the website the other day and they are selling new ones at half price, incidentally the same price as I paid for mine all those years ago, I'm sorely tempted but there is no mention of where they are made now.

I'll just add that marks and spenser's socks and underpants are now rubbish, I've been buying the same ones for 15 years or so, the ones I bought this year are already falling apart and from the first touch I could tell that the material was much thinner.

Needless to say my online review saying exactly that was deemed inappropriate.

Any recomendations for good quality gents underwear that has a decent amount of gusset room, next ones are way too shallow in that area, causes a parting of the waves, so to speak.

Launer wallets are still "handcrafted in England", and are by Royal Appointment.

Wifie dug out a pair of not very old Ecco brand walking boots only to find that they had literally bio-degraded in storage.

Googling this, I found that Ecco trashed their brand reputation for quality some years ago by out-sourcing

http://ctwatchdog.com/business/ecco-shoes-warning-almost-new-expensive-shoes-disintegrate

Last year I bought a Herschel bag online. When it was delivered I was disappointed with the cheap looking “leatherette” handles and the 100% manmade materials.

After a year’s light use the zip has broken.

I can’t remember the place I bought it from (I’ve thrown away my receipt and I can’t find the details in my inbox). So effectively I’ve spent £60 on a bag that was a pile of pants!

The bag I had previously was a freeby from my employer and that lasted about 3 years. I was honestly expecting about 15 years use from the Herschel bag.

So I guess the lesson learned is to stay away from hipster brands that charge big money for shonky goods.

How good are you at fitting a new zip? There is no reason to chuck the bag and buy another, I'm sure you can make it last a very long time.

Anyway, "custom" repairs and alterations make good talking points.

My daughter, who I have endeavoured to bring up sensible and financially responsible, was pleased the other week. Some lady in a bag shop had finally unjammed the zip on her bag, which had been jammed, ironically, by a carrier bag.

She was pleased, sho told me, because this leather bag had cost her £600.

SIX

HUNDRED

EFFING

QUID

:o

Always bought karrimore rucksacks. Always quite expensive and very good quality. Last a lifetime stuff. Wanted a smaller one so looked em up on tinternet. Cheap as chips, 12 squid. Went to sports direct (I know) as only place to get one. Quality shite. Google tells me that this great British brand has been bought out by the twit who owns sports direct and now made overseas.

It has been widely accepted for some time that the genius of business lies in selling something for more than it is fundamentally worth. More recently that has meant building brands. Most wealthy businessmen place great store in building brands.

My nephew, who has worked in SD whilst studying marketing, made me aware that Mike Ashley is a VERY different sort of wealthy businessman. Instead of building brands, he destroys them. That's not his primary goal of course; it's just a side-effect of his method of making large amounts of money.

Whilst most businessmen buy an unknown product or service and build its brand, Ashely buys an established brand that has gone off the boil a bit. He then outsources its manufacture to the Far East. He then sells the (shodilly reproduced) product in his stores at rock bottom prices. Punters see a brand that they recall, see an unbelievably low price, and think : what the heck, at that price ...

When the product lives up to its price, rather than its old brand, the customer immediately adjusts their expectations. But by then who cares? Ashley has made his margin. So what if the trick fails to work in 24 months time? He'll have got his moneyback from buying the brand 10 times over.

One can only imagine how the people feel who built the brand in the first place.

I was made aware of this when said nephew told me they'd just taken delivery of some odd brand of clothing that was very poor quality. The brand was Pierre Cardin

It has been widely accepted for some time that the genius of business lies in selling something for more than it is fundamentally worth. More recently that has meant building brands. Most wealthy businessmen place great store in building brands.

My nephew, who has worked in SD whilst studying marketing, made me aware that Mike Ashley is a VERY different sort of wealthy businessman. Instead of building brands, he destroys them. That's not his primary goal of course; it's just a side-effect of his method of making large amounts of money.

Whilst most businessmen buy an unknown product or service and build its brand, Ashely buys an established brand that has gone off the boil a bit. He then outsources its manufacture to the Far East. He then sells the (shodilly reproduced) product in his stores at rock bottom prices. Punters see a brand that they recall, see an unbelievably low price, and think : what the heck, at that price ...

When the product lives up to its price, rather than its old brand, the customer immediately adjusts their expectations. But by then who cares? Ashley has made his margin. So what if the trick fails to work in 24 months time? He'll have got his moneyback from buying the brand 10 times over.

One can only imagine how the people feel who built the brand in the first place.

I was made aware of this when said nephew told me they'd just taken delivery of some odd brand of clothing that was very poor quality. The brand was Pierre Cardin

A form of asset stripping.

I'm in two minds as to whether to buy another antler wallet, I bought one 22 years ago and it still does the job, looking a bit used though now but I won't complain as its had me sitting on it for the best part of that time.

I looked on the website the other day and they are selling new ones at half price, incidentally the same price as I paid for mine all those years ago, I'm sorely tempted but there is no mention of where they are made now.

I'll just add that marks and spenser's socks and underpants are now rubbish, I've been buying the same ones for 15 years or so, the ones I bought this year are already falling apart and from the first touch I could tell that the material was much thinner.

Needless to say my online review saying exactly that was deemed inappropriate.

Any recomendations for good quality gents underwear that has a decent amount of gusset room, next ones are way too shallow in that area, causes a parting of the waves, so to speak.

I've been very impressed with Sainsbury's underwear

Wifie dug out a pair of not very old Ecco brand walking boots only to find that they had literally bio-degraded in storage.

Googling this, I found that Ecco trashed their brand reputation for quality some years ago by out-sourcing

http://ctwatchdog.com/business/ecco-shoes-warning-almost-new-expensive-shoes-disintegrate

Clarks shoes do this too. At least mine did. Used to only buy Clarks. Won't touch the brand now.

Clarks shoes do this too. At least mine did. Used to only buy Clarks. Won't touch the brand now.

Yes, they are now not good.

It depends what you want. I had a pair as office shoes and they were extremely comfortable because of all the soft materials in them.

And because of all the soft materials in them they were worn out in less than a year whereas I usually get three or four years.

I thought Clarkes had always been like this which is why they're often bought for kids because they won't hurt their feet and not lasting over a year is not a problem because they'll be outgrown first.

Re the OP that is first time I've heard of Herschel being a brand rather than an astronomer.

Re the OP that is first time I've heard of Herschel being a brand rather than an astronomer.

Yeah, I've never heard of the brand either. I thought this was going to be a thread about an ebay/amazon delivery company

It depends what you want. I had a pair as office shoes and they were extremely comfortable because of all the soft materials in them.

And because of all the soft materials in them they were worn out in less than a year whereas I usually get three or four years.

I thought Clarkes had always been like this which is why they're often bought for kids because they won't hurt their feet and not lasting over a year is not a problem because they'll be outgrown first.

You buy shoes?

I thought we had already established that true gentlemen inherit shoes.

Yeah, I've never heard of the brand either. I thought this was going to be a thread about an ebay/amazon delivery company

Funny that, I thought it was going to be about slightly butyric-tasting chocolates...

This is the central issue really, it's not that relevant that it's made in China, but whats happened is businesses have hovered up brands, successful businesses build on the back of a quality product. Business gets taken over and the new owner wants a profit, only way to do so is reduce the quality or cost of production, they could do the second by moving to China and retain the first (although very difficult in China to be honest) but they go for the two pronged attack and reduce the quality over all.

Ashely has taken it to the next level, buying totally defunct brands and knocking them out at bargain prices. Slazenger for example was sold for £300 million in a management buyout, Ashely then picked it up for £40million just 8 years later. He is selling very low grade items but with a lion stuck on, a T-shirt might have cost 20p to make, you can either sell it for £2 or £3 with a lion on the front, the likelihood is people will opt for the £3 option.

Whats also happened to many of the bigger fashion brands is the have tiered levels of quality, Ralph Lauren is a very good example, you can pick up a polo shirt in a high street retailed for £75 (not cheap by any means), but go in to a proper store and you will be paying £250 for a purple label equivalent. Stroke of genius really, the plebs all think they are wearing a top quality brand, but the reality is it's made on the cheap in China, while the upper classes are wearing the real decent stuff and laughing at all the plebs wearing the basic range.