House Price Crash Forum
Khalia

Boomer Kids Not Doing Well At School, Uni And Not Getting Good Jobs

I've noticed at work a lot of boomers bemoaning the fact that their kids are not doing as well as they hoped at school, colllege or university. I know and they know that their will be implications for when they join the jobs market. That is that they will not be able to get the very well paying jobs to afford to buy their own houses! I shouldnt be, but I am slighlty pleased when I hear a booomers kids has flopped his GCSE's, A levels or Degree, lots of equity release in the future to prop up their kids!

ahh yes old boomers who have no real clue as to the circumstances facing kids these days. An ever shrinking jobs market, salaries that never rise and a system looking to bleed these kids for debt all there lives. these same boomers who tell them they must go to uni if they are to be able to get a decent job and all they get is 50k debt and a job in starbucks.

Boomers are in for a wee fright if they think they are selling there big houses to this coming generation. Most young folk now are really struggling. The rate of unemployment of 16-24 year olds is three times higher than any other group.

I feel sorry for all the young children (5-10 or so) I see these days. By the time they are becoming adults the economy will be well and truly f****d, there will no jobs, automation and AI will have begun to take whatever jobs there were, and unless we are very lucky there will be massive wars everywhere.

Edited by Errol

I feel sorry for all the young children (5-10 or so) I see these days. By the time they are becoming adults the economy will be well and truly f****d, there will no jobs, automation and AI will have begun to take whatever jobs there were, and unless we are very lucky there will be massive wars everywhere.

This almost always takes longer than you think - but it is coming. AS for selling houses to the next generation I used to think the same - who can afford them. Then I realised our living standard is one of the highest in the world and if only 1% of the chinese and indian middle/upper class buy these houses and go to universities there would be enough demand. Sadly the kids born here without an education will end up in starbucks or cleaning those people's houses.

I have three kids in that age group and aim to teach them to design and improve AI systems. Plus, I will build a shed/university at the end of the garden in which they can subsequently live. All boxes ticked? (Post half in jest)...

As a vangaurd member of Gen-X, we took no shit at school where it was literally like the Young Ones most days at bog standard late 1970's comp. Had our little lambs early who are now fully plumped Hoggets (20-25) and are doing quite nicelly eldest two work in diverse parts of the engineering sector not university educated. The youngest is, but will unfortunately go far in the law sector with left wing leanings and the associated political aspirations as he is slightly autistic.

I have three kids in that age group and aim to teach them to design and improve AI systems. Plus, I will build a shed/university at the end of the garden in which they can subsequently live. All boxes ticked? (Post half in jest)...

In my twins' school only 2 girls are doing the brand new (very good curriculum using Python) Computer Science GCSE. Care to guess whose children they are....

In my twins' school only 2 girls are doing the brand new (very good curriculum using Python) Computer Science GCSE. Care to guess whose children they are....

OK as long as the teacher knows how to write Python. My eldest was teaching the teacher and the class last year. Moved to a different school in the hope of improved standards.

although I've gone right through to the top of the uni system, which has been useful for my profession, I will not be advocating uni for my kids. If they would like to, fine, if they would prefer a vocation/profession I will encourage them equally. We have a growing fund, which they will get in adulthood; and they can use it in what way they want (wishing reason lol!). I'd love to see them start a business, or take up a craft. There is good money paid for artisan products.