House Price Crash Forum
Fairyland

From £22M To £15M, £7M Drop In 8Months

Telegraph:JK Rowling sells her luxury yacht for £15m less than a year after buying it

Harry Potter author JK Rowling is reportedly selling her luxury yacht for £7m less than she paid for it just eight months ago.

The 47m long vessel, called Amphitrite, is believed to have cost the writer £22m when she purchased it in January.

The yacht, once owned by Johnny Depp, is now listed for sale at €17.8m (£15m) with Curtis Stokes and Associates. Depp had the yacht refitted with new lighting and wall hangings, reportedly at a cost of £5m.

The story here is if money comes easily it goes easily. Hard earned money sustains longer.

Agreed....once the money comes your way a home has to be found for it.....easy come, easy go.....hard worked for money has a greater value. ;)

On a smaller scale, its like the lottery winners buying supercars, that they rarely drive.

Can't help thinking if it were me, I'd consider renting the flash car or boat, nice villa on lake como etc., as an when, rather than buy them to sit idle or empty.

People get bored of their toys.

I'm confident JK Rowling did work hard for her money. Sure she had a small dash of luck that her books weren't just successful, but mega hits which really brought in a truck load of cash (most authors don't make this sort of money).

I am confused why JK purchase such an expensive item and is now trying to get rid of it so quickly for less - points to something like discovering that really she doesn't like yachting much at all, not liking the ongoing costs, or health changing for her or expected regular yachting partner meaning no longer expected to be able to pursue this activity.

She's done a lot for Children's reading so I wish her all the best.

I'm confident JK Rowling did work hard for her money. Sure she had a small dash of luck that her books weren't just successful, but mega hits which really brought in a truck load of cash (most authors don't make this sort of money).

I am confused why JK purchase such an expensive item and is now trying to get rid of it so quickly for less - points to something like discovering that really she doesn't like yachting much at all, not liking the ongoing costs, or health changing for her or expected regular yachting partner meaning no longer expected to be able to pursue this activity.

She's done a lot for Children's reading so I wish her all the best.

True so why should she be bothered at all that a million or two has been lost?..... one can only hope and wish that someone with the means are ready, willing and able to buy what we have got.....win some you lose some.....something is only worth what someone can and wants to pay for it. ;)

Edited by winkie

Definition of owning a boat: Emptying your wallet into the dock.

Definition of owning a fancy yacht: emptying your wallet and all your friends wallets into the dock.

Get a paddle board, have a laugh for a few days and then chuck it into the garage with all the other hobby bits.

Definition of owning a boat: Emptying your wallet into the dock.

Definition of owning a fancy yacht: emptying your wallet and all your friends wallets into the dock.

Get a paddle board, have a laugh for a few days and then chuck it into the garage with all the other hobby bits.

My friend used to liken owning a yacht to standing in a freezing cold shower ripping up £50 notes.

I enjoy sailing in yachts. Ones with sails, not motor boats like JK's.

If I was able to go out on the sea 3-4 times a week, I'd consider buying - but only a 3-5yrs boat. Never brand new...that's for mugs with money to burn.

That's quite a hit she's taken on her boat. Possibly some tax efficient scheme , imo.

On a smaller scale, its like the lottery winners buying supercars, that they rarely drive.

Can't help thinking if it were me, I'd consider renting the flash car or boat, nice villa on lake como etc., as an when, rather than buy them to sit idle or empty.

People get bored of their toys.

If money were no object I would own very little. I would hire what I needed, when I needed it. Who wants 8 employees on a boat to then find one hurts themselves at work etc etc. I would rent the best yacht for £50k for a few days.....then a few months later I would rent a nice orange one. If I absolutely loved yachts more than anything that might be different.

I would definitely not have multiple property abroad....why tie myself to a place? A cheeky suite at the Plaza (NY) for a month sounds nicer than maintaining a property in NY and then rarely using it.

That would be my pleasure of massive wealth....not having to own anything.

Of course I understand that I may need ownership for investment to maintain my wealth....but that would be my only reason for owning anything.

Hmmm.....change of colour to the car each six months?

Edited by Phil321