House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

anonguest

Looking For Decent Quality/value Usb Headphone/mic Combo

I have now got through my second set of combined earphones and microphone headset this year, for use with my PC or laptop.

Amazingly, for cheap modern plastic molded electronic stuff, this latest unit actually has screws and construction allowing me to carefully open up the earphone and check the wiring, solder joints etc. ALL actually looks OK.

In both cases the the failure appears to be some sort of failing connection in the wiring at, or very near, the point where the cable connects to base of the body of one the earphones.

In this second case it is the microphone functionality which is almost failed now (and based on past case will completely fail imminently). I can, at the moment, maintain some sort of connection (and hence keep the mic working) if I hold on to the wire and tug/twist and hold the wire in a certain way - but that then fails to work after very short while.

So that's another £20+ wasted. :(

I'm prepared to accept they may have been false economies and am prepared to fork out for a better quaility/more robust make/model that will hopefully give many years of service. I don't need some 'pro' level hardware for hi-fi enthusiasts, just something for listening to PC audio (e.g. Skype, etc)

Anyone care to recommend something?

I got a Logitech G230 Stereo Gaming Headset. I previously had a USB set made my microsoft which worked pretty well, but had plasticy ear covers so your ears got really hot. I palmed them off on a work colleague and got the logitech ones. Mine are not USB though, they have the mic and headphone cable. I seem to remember there was a lot more choice if you weren't fussed about having them through USB. Once I got the sound settings right on my pc, they have been great, sound quality for watching youtube and having skype calls is more than adequate. I don't use them for listening to hi-fi music, but I imagine they would be fine unless you are a snob about these things.

If they're like my Logitech headset (it's a generally overpriced wireless one) the functionality is fine but the build quality isn't great. One was replaced when one of the earphones snapped off in my hand, and on this one I've had to glue back the mic boom, and the lights indicating it was turned on stopped working long ago.

I been through a pile of corded headsets, then went to bluetooth and they were crap as well.

I've got a set of Jabra Evolve (USB) and they seem really good - but they're a bit expensive, and it's only been a short while so the jury is still out on longevity.

Oh, and a client has just been through this and decided on Sennheiser SC 260 (I think) for their call centre.

You might see a link - look into hardware marketed at call centres, rather than joe public.