House Price Crash Forum

Robotic Vacuum Cleaner

Ash4781

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443

My traditional arrangement of an electric vacuum-cleaner operated by my current wife has served me well enough over the years - why do you think I should invest in this witch-craft...?

;)

XYY

Maybe you can see the dirt on a phone app?

I'm afraid I'm no sucker for these fancy modern vacuum cleaners. It's just not men's work like lathes, and power drills.

HOLA444

I'm afraid I'm no sucker for these fancy modern vacuum cleaners. It's just not men's work like lathes, and power drills.

I see what you did there with your reference to sucker. Could you outdo a vacuum cleaner (we used to call them a Hoover)?

HOLA445

I looked into it...

It appears at the cheap end of the market the robots are 'dumb' - they're just a tiny suction thing (or even just a wipe in the very cheapest) which struts around a room, turning in a random direction whenever it hits a barrier. They stop only when they've run out of time / battery.

At the expensive end are intelligent robots which only go over each part of the room once, can work out which parts of the room are dirtiest and focus their efforts there, and then when completed find their way back to the charger.

I'm not sure which is better - obviously the intelligent ones are best, but I've almost decided that the cheap ones will give 75% of the benefit for the negative of not cleaning so well and needing to be picked up and plugged into the charger when you get home.

But I've not actually got one; if you look at reviews they all seem a bit meh.

HOLA446

Surely you've got a vacuum sucking the swarf away from the lathe tool!

HOLA447

Has anyone got a robotic vacuum cleaner? No jokes! Prices seem a lot more competitive than I'd expect but is the technology still buggy ?

My wife bought one in a sale in France for 4€, yes 4€, a couple of months ago.

She gave it to our daughter who texted her a couple of days ago to say that the robot was working and cleaning her living room floor.

HOLA448

My wife bought one in a sale in France for 4€, yes 4€, a couple of months ago.

She gave it to our daughter who texted her a couple of days ago to say that the robot was working and cleaning her living room floor.

Miracles of the modern age.

What is really needed is an app that tweets every time the vacuum cleaner is used, and post pictures on facebook, so everyone can share the excitement.

When will the first man turn up in A&E with his todger stuck in one?

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

I got one for the parents when they reached a state of infirmity where neither could manage an oldfashioned vacuum cleaner any more.

It was so good I got one for myself a few months later. Works so well the bedroom carpet - the only one with a deepish pile - got much cleaner than ever before.

which Model?

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

I got one for the parents when they reached a state of infirmity where neither could manage an oldfashioned vacuum cleaner any more.

It was so good I got one for myself a few months later. Works so well the bedroom carpet - the only one with a deepish pile - got much cleaner than ever before.

make & model?

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

I got one of the cheap ones - about £25 from memory. Named Margo (the house proud snob from the Good Life) because it had a large M on the cover. Did an OK job - left some stuff behind, but left other areas cleaner than normal. If you had a flat, little clutter on the floor (which is perhaps hardwood/vinyl) it might be perfect. For us with a multilevelled house and plenty of floor based clutter the ROI wasn't quite there.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

We got a similar one to this a few years ago

http://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/p/roomba605/irobot-roomba605?refsource=APadwords&crtag=AP&refsource=Apadwords&gclid=CND9konljs8CFUUW0wod7LAKNQ

Absolutely brilliant on carpet, tiles and lino.

It is a noisy, so I tend to switch it on if in another part of the house or before going out. There has only been problems with one persian carpet with tassels that it does get caught on. All the others have been OK though.

If you have carpet on stairs you will probably need a conventional or hand-held cleaner to do that though. Our Roomba does the bigger parts of this but not the corners or small steps.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Roombas are the best but, being a cheapskate and wanting to test the waters, I bought one of these a few months ago for lest than £90:

iLife V5 Pro

It comes with a remote and timer and will also make itself back to the charging dock when it's low on power. It's really rather good. Suction power isn't great but sweeping arms are very effective and it picks up a lot of dirt. It can also be converted to mop the floor too. It will occasionally get stuck and need a prod (eg. caught on cables) but is pretty decent for the money. As said above, ideally you'd have large rooms or open plan. I now give a proper hoover about once a month, and this picks things up in the meantime.

HOLA4424

Got the missus a mid priced one for Christmas (yes, seriously). After the initial frosty reception she was really pleased with it. However you really need open plan minimal clutter living for it to really work. Rescuing pieces of Lego from it is a royal pain in the ar$e.

So basically, if you've got kids: "don't bother" :)

HOLA4425

Archived