House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MattW

Other Presidential Contenders?

There has been a lot of unhappiness amongst American voters regarding the two Presidential candidates.

My question is: why not vote for one of the other candidates who get bugger all publicity compared to the Republican and Democrat candidates? Why don't Americans think a bit more 'out of the box' and vote for someone else completely different?!

I think Ralph Nader (car manufacturer botherer) was a candidate for President a number of times.

There has been a lot of unhappiness amongst American voters regarding the two Presidential candidates.

My question is: why not vote for one of the other candidates who get bugger all publicity compared to the Republican and Democrat candidates? Why don't Americans think a bit more 'out of the box' and vote for someone else completely different?!

I think Ralph Nader (car manufacturer botherer) was a candidate for President a number of times.

Same problem everywhere...

If you don't vote for a lizard, the wrong lizard might get in.

Got any gin?

Same problem everywhere...

If you don't vote for a lizard, the wrong lizard might get in.

Got any gin?

Exactly, the issue being with the US being so narrow with regard to a political system any independent candidate will somewhere in the past have had an associate with one side of the fence or the other. You immediately split that side of the vote and then you end up with the worst case.

Joke of place politically and can't understand how much they like to spout the word democracy with possibly one of the shitest political systems in the world.

The influence of big corporations there is huge. Food (other than buffets) is more expensive than here despite their massive production of a surplus, health care costs are off the scale despite not having NHS style waste and bureacracy, their clothes (which used to be way cheaper than here) now cost more, you cannot get a working second hand car for the prices that we can here.

I think they've given up upon trying to prevent monopolies developing because they'd lose campaign funding.

The influence of big corporations there is huge. Food (other than buffets) is more expensive than here despite their massive production of a surplus, health care costs are off the scale despite not having NHS style waste and bureacracy, their clothes (which used to be way cheaper than here) now cost more, you cannot get a working second hand car for the prices that we can here.

I think they've given up upon trying to prevent monopolies developing because they'd lose campaign funding.

Anyone who questions any of the above is obviously a pinko red under the bed commie swine traitor - or something like that.

Technically, Clinton could pull out. Biden becomes the candidate and Obama becomes the VP candidate. Biden then wins and gets a cold so Obama is prez again. He then has a sex-change, renames himself Hilary and the BBC explodes in an orgasm of rapture.

Technically, Clinton could pull out. Biden becomes the candidate and Obama becomes the VP candidate. Biden then wins and gets a cold so Obama is prez again. He then has a sex-change, renames himself Hilary and the BBC explodes in an orgasm of rapture.

Technically she can't. She's the candidate. If she pulls out now she would still be the candidate on the ballot paper, but Tim Kaine would be the de facto nominee.

False dilemma

A false dilemma (also called false dichotomy, false binary, black-and-white thinking, bifurcation, denying a conjunct, the either–or fallacy, fallacy of exhaustive hypotheses, fallacy of the excluded middle, the fallacy of false choice, or the fallacy of the false alternative) is a type of informal fallacy that involves a situation in which only limited alternatives are considered, when in fact there is at least one additional option. The opposite of this fallacy is argument to moderation.

The options may be a position that is between two extremes (such as when there are shades of grey) or may be completely different alternatives. Phrasing that implies two options (dilemma, dichotomy, black-and-white) may be replaced with other number-based nouns, such as a "false trilemma" ("false trichotomy," etc.) if something is reduced to only three options.

A false dilemma can arise intentionally, when a fallacy is used in an attempt to force a choice or outcome.

Anyone who questions any of the above is obviously a pinko red under the bed commie swine traitor - or something like that.

It's really changed in the last twenty years. In the mid 90s living standards were great and if you were on the equivalent of a UK average wage you had a fantastic lifestyle, big house, big cars.

Now those people are struggling, I'm shocked by how different it us now and notice the difference because I only go over every three or so years, family there.

That's what the Trump vote springs from, as did the Brexit vote: the vast numbers of ordinary working people who have seen their living standards slide downhill whilst the out of touch political establishment gabbles on about GDP growth that seems to benefit no one but the taxman.

Technically she can't. She's the candidate. If she pulls out now she would still be the candidate on the ballot paper, but Tim Kaine would be the de facto nominee.

If you took any of that post seriously...

It's really changed in the last twenty years. In the mid 90s living standards were great and if you were on the equivalent of a UK average wage you had a fantastic lifestyle, big house, big cars.

Now those people are struggling, I'm shocked by how different it us now and notice the difference because I only go over every three or so years, family there.

That's what the Trump vote springs from, as did the Brexit vote: the vast numbers of ordinary working people who have seen their living standards slide downhill whilst the out of touch political establishment gabbles on about GDP growth that seems to benefit no one but the taxman.

I can't disagree with that.