House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Byron

Are Scottish Voters Still Happy With Wee Krankie?

Are Scottish voters happy that Sturgeon virtually welcomed all the migrants to Scotland?

Every Man, Woman and child will have to suffer a lower standard of living to satisfy this lunatics Pathological altruism.

To be fair to the dozy mare though Byron - at least white Englishmen are still allowed to claim asylum in Scotland..!

;)

XYY

No - they are not. She continually state she speaks for the Scottish people. She doesn't.

Even some yes voters have had enough of her now.

Thank ****** we are not independent. She would have invited a ridiculous number here just to try and look good.

Are Scottish voters happy that Sturgeon virtually welcomed all the migrants to Scotland?

Every Man, Woman and child will have to suffer a lower standard of living to satisfy this lunatics Pathological altruism.

Does 'migrants' include English people? If so, they're by far the largest group...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demography_of_Scotland#Place_of_birth

Does 'migrants' include English people? If so, they're by far the largest group...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demography_of_Scotland#Place_of_birth

According to those ons figures uk born are not classed as 'foreign' though.

And as for estimates of Polish in Scotland . 76,000 ?

Was this part the Edinburgh comedy festival !!

I know I live in an area with a very high polish population. However those numbers indicate about 1 in 70 people in Scotland today is Polish.

That's ridiculous. Imo.

I know I live in an area with a very high polish population. However those numbers indicate about 1 in 70 people in Scotland today is Polish.

I lived in Leith until quite recently, and latterly the number of Poles there was amazing: you genuinely couldn't walk along the street without hearing multiple people speaking Polish. Maybe they're all concentrated in small areas though? I have no idea if there are lots of Poles in Aberfeldy or places like that...

Edit: whereas your link indicates 400k people in England born in Scotland, the equivalent stat indicates 800k people in England born in Scotland.

Eh? Is there a misprint there?

So I would imagine many in your figure are actually Scots born in England returning to Scotland.

No idea. That doesn't seem particularly plausible though.

Eh? Is there a misprint there?

No idea. That doesn't seem particularly plausible though.

Why not? They've all been driven out of England by the anti-Scots hysteria that doesn't actually exist but wee Jimmy and her legions are determined to create.

On the subject of English people living in Scotland, what I was getting at is that the SNP bends over backwards not to be seen as anti-English. It's very easy for their political opponents to attack them with the accusation that they're a racist anti-English party. Undoubtedly, there has been an element of this, just as there are out-and-out racists supporting UKIP.

These days they go to great lengths to avoid this kind of thing by being inclusive of people who live in Scotland but weren't born there. For example, all residents had a vote in the Independence referendum irrespective of birthplace, where excluding people born in England might well have swung it for them (compare with the Brexit referendum). I think the inclusivity has spilled over to incomers in general: it'd be difficult for them to be pro-English without being pro-everyone else too.

Edit. I think another factor is that the SNP is very pro-growth: they're always saying we've got to get the population up for the benefit of the economy. personally I wouldn't mind seeing the population staying where it is or decreasing, but the growth thing seems to be the way all the parties think.

My experience of the SNP is its lunatic fringe (Cybernat et all) so that maybe colours it. I don't see them as being anti-English but I do see their strategy as being to make Scots think that the English are anti-Scottish by provoking English people into making anti-Scots statements and using that to further their agenda that non-Scots start seeing the SNP as a proxy for Scotland rather than the loopy party it actually is.

I find any aim for general "growth" bizarre. Plymouth is a city with a lot if green space and a population of 250k. The (Labour) council leader wants to grow that population to 300k by building houses on that green space.

How that will be of benefit to anybody currently living in the nicely spaced out city that is Plymouth escapes me.

I don't live there by the way. This is also the city that has rusting nuclear reactors in its dockyard and where the council has built a waste incinerator slap bang in the middle of it. Mental.

On the subject of English people living in Scotland, what I was getting at is that the SNP bends over backwards not to be seen as anti-English. It's very easy for their political opponents to attack them with the accusation that they're a racist anti-English party. Undoubtedly, there has been an element of this, just as there are out-and-out racists supporting UKIP.

These days they go to great lengths to avoid this kind of thing by being inclusive of people who live in Scotland but weren't born there. For example, all residents had a vote in the Independence referendum irrespective of birthplace, where excluding people born in England might well have swung it for them (compare with the Brexit referendum). I think the inclusivity has spilled over to incomers in general: it'd be difficult for them to be pro-English without being pro-everyone else too.

Edit. I think another factor is that the SNP is very pro-growth: they're always saying we've got to get the population up for the benefit of the economy. personally I wouldn't mind seeing the population staying where it is or decreasing, but the growth thing seems to be the way all the parties think.

Once the population declines so will economic activity. I will then move back to the land of my birth.

Seems to be a theme beloved of second and third generation migrants..we benefitted from the altruism we have a duty to share. Actually the majority of us, despite what the BBC would like us to believe, have little foreign ancestry since the Vikings/ Norman conquest. Migration is a modern post ww2 factor which has gradually accelerated.

Of course that makes the majority of us inbred imbeciles, inferior to the mixed race Establishment as BBC science programmes are quick to point out

Ever noticed how a foreign ancestor is so important on BBC's Who do you think you are. Thank God for that I am not one of the inbred plebs.

Seems to be a theme beloved of second and third generation migrants..we benefitted from the altruism we have a duty to share. Actually the majority of us, despite what the BBC would like us to believe, have little foreign ancestry since the Vikings/ Norman conquest. Migration is modern post ww2 factor which had gradually accelerated.

Of course that makes the majority of us inbred imbeciles, inferior to the mixed race Establishment as BBC science programmes are quick to point out

Ever noticed how a foreign ancestor is so important on BBCs Who do you think you are. Thank God for that I am not one of the inbred plebs

We are the magnolia backdrop in which the BBC has zero interest.

I find any aim for general "growth" bizarre. Plymouth is a city with a lot if green space and a population of 250k. The (Labour) council leader wants to grow that population to 300k by building houses on that green space.

How that will be of benefit to anybody currently living in the nicely spaced out city that is Plymouth escapes me.

Exactly. A recent forecast says the population of Edinburgh is going to "grow by 28.2 per cent, from the 2012 figure of 482,640 to 618,978 in 2037", and of course the politicians like that:

Council chiefs welcomed the latest forecasts as evidence of the Capitals vibrant economy, but said they also served as a wake-up call to make sure the city had the homes, schools and transport system to cope.

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/edinburgh-population-to-grow-by-28-per-cent-1-3410407

That'd be a nightmare! I have no idea where the people are supposed to go, or how they'll get around once they're there. I suppose it'll be great for BTLers and other property owners though...

Amazing! 28% more Scots! You breed better than rabbits! :(

Maybe it's misplaced civic pride: we've made this city so great that everybody wants to live here! Down here relatively unrestricted growth around the edges of Truro (smallish town centre in a valley) has made the traffic a nightmare and turned it from somewhere I regularly visited and had considered moving to into a place I actively avoid and haven't even been to this year. And they're still building more housing around it. Way to go councillors; that's one more town ruined.

I remember whole swathes of council housing in south Liverpool being demolished in the ?early 90s because the city's population had dropped and that was seen as a crisis.

Well I doubt the people living nearby who had just acquired views, green fields and traffic free roads thought it was a crisis.

The problem politicians in Scotland have faced down the years is a declining population and net migration to England. It is only in recent years with mass immigration from Europe and the Rest of the World has this decline been arrested.

And why's that a problem? OK Scotland doesn't have the same overpopulation problem that England has, but to want one you've got to be completely and utterly insane, as well as not give a damn about your country (so now it's all making sense...) Even with Scotland's already lower population density a decline in many areas would be a good thing for it, although a lot of the smaller, remoter places might well worry.

Spot on. Population growth has done nothing except make life worse for, well, probably a thousand-odd years or more, although it was negligable enough for most of that (just the last 200 or so being the real problem). Anyone aiming for population growth, unless it's on some small island in danger of the population falling to unviable levels, needs their head examining, as does anyone who doesn't think life would be better in the UK with far fewer people in it. Those who like crowded areas will still have them. It's only those who can skim some money off everyone's activity that benefit from it, and for such people to not appreciate the mess they're making in doing so, well, I'm surprised that there's anything they can appreciate with their extra money.

Maybe it's misplaced civic pride: we've made this city so great that everybody wants to live here! Down here relatively unrestricted growth around the edges of Truro (smallish town centre in a valley) has made the traffic a nightmare and turned it from somewhere I regularly visited and had considered moving to into a place I actively avoid and haven't even been to this year. And they're still building more housing around it. Way to go councillors; that's one more town ruined.

I remember whole swathes of council housing in south Liverpool being demolished in the ?early 90s because the city's population had dropped and that was seen as a crisis.

Well I doubt the people living nearby who had just acquired views, green fields and traffic free roads thought it was a crisis.

Three posts in a row from me. Erm...

I suppose it all comes from a rather blind muddling up of various factors and problems, some of which aren't even recognised as problems. We live in a world where travel is easy (despite the lunatics always wanting it faster), and sending information even easier. That pushes towards ever-increasing centralisation (no need for local services etc. when people can travel), and that centralisation results, and concentrates on, the larger places. So I guess it's seen that you have to get larger yourself to stop what business you've got sodding off to join the crowds. The result - a destructive vicious circle as everyone struggles to ruin themselves to get ahead, although in reality the most most are doing is falling behind slower.

For some utterly crazy reason people seem desperate to have the stuff that promotes this, idiots (it's one of several reasons I think HS2 is an atrocious idea).

or some utterly crazy reason people seem desperate to have the stuff that promotes this, idiots (it's one of several reasons I think HS2 is an atrocious idea).

That's the main thing that worries me about the SNP: they're very pro-development, and I suspect that if Scotland did become independent then they'd go down the Irish route and flog the country off to the developers...

Yes. The first line should read 400k in Scotland born in England. Then 800k in England born in Scotland. Sorry. Whether they are Scots or English is impossible to tell.

Hard to know anyway. My brother is English, lives in Scotland. His kids were born there (and apparently the older one speaks with a bit of a Scottish accent at school). Are the kids Scottish?

I agree with you. It is not me who defines popoulation decline as a problem. That lies squarely with politicians and economists, as the western political economy is clearly a ponzi. Sorry, loose writing.

"Ponzi" sums up perfectly any argument for not welcoming population decline (or even remaining stationary).