House Price Crash Forum

Independent Retailers Who Accept Contactless Payment

Si1

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

There's at least one food place in Mumbles / Gower that, IIRC, charges you 50p if you pay under a tenner with your card. I am told that the owners were over-heard, allegedly, laughing about how much money they make from that 50p surcharge.

I imagine places like that will avoid contactless for as long as possible in order to somehow justify their surcharges.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

There's at least one food place in Mumbles / Gower that, IIRC, charges you 50p if you pay under a tenner with your card. I am told that the owners were over-heard, allegedly, laughing about how much money they make from that 50p surcharge.

I imagine places like that will avoid contactless for as long as possible in order to somehow justify their surcharges.

Print and stick this near their shop

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/crackdown-on-rip-off-card-charges-begins

Under the new rules, traders will be expected to make sure that any payment surcharges are representative of the actual processing cost involved and they do not charge more than this. This will make the process fairer and more transparent for consumers and no longer result in hidden, expensive charges at the end of the payment process.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Yes it is, seriously. Every single shop I'm in I get stuck in a queue behind someone faffing around with a contactless card or a standard debit card. They take probably 3 times as long as the average person with cash - who just steps up, hands over a couple of coins and then leaves.

HOLA4412

Yes it is, seriously. Every single shop I'm in I get stuck in a queue behind someone faffing around with a contactless card or a standard debit card. They take probably 3 times as long as the average person with cash - who just steps up, hands over a couple of coins and then leaves.

I find it easy. Tap and pay. I had teething problems with contactless cards a few years ago tbh with some major faffs. I would think as people and staff get used to them they'll work more smoothly.

HOLA4413

It goes on a lot quicker and easier with contactless payment on your phone. It's ace.

I am in no rush.....I don't have a phone that is enabled to do it intentionally...they want a sale they will have to allow me to do it my way....plenty of places still only deal in cash, plenty of places still do pin and chip....plenty of places have no or weak signal reception...life goes on slowly but surely. ;)

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Not for public transport in London. Queue (often for ages) to get a ticket with cash, or just flash you phone/card as you pass through the gate. I don't think you're even allowed to use cash for the buses in large parts of central London anymore.

HOLA4416

It goes on a lot quicker and easier with contactless payment on your phone. It's ace.

None of the vendors keep their phones up to date wrt firmware or the operating system e.g. Android. Once you buy the phone they don't give two poops.

Lets put it another way, would you run a load of random, unchecked 'to operate l need access to everything - just click OK" whim installed apps on your bank card?

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Contactless is a fraudstar's dream. Imagine if one of them finds your wallet with a couple of cards in. All they have to do is don a burka,, visit loads of shops and buy as many things as possible for £30 on each card before the things stop working.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Contactless is a fraudstar's dream. Imagine if one of them finds your wallet with a couple of cards in. All they have to do is don a burka,, visit loads of shops and buy as many things as possible for £30 on each card before the things stop working.

http://www.moneysupermarket.com/c/news/q-and-a-all-you-need-to-know-about-contactless-payments/0171013/#Am_I_protected_if_there_is_fraud_or_theft_on_my_card

How much will my bank cover if I lose my contactless bank card?

If money is taken from your account without your permission, the Payment Services Regulations will ensure your bank refunds you.

However, for transactions made before you have reported your card as lost or stolen, you will be liable for the first £50, although some banks may waive it.

HOLA4422

10 times for someone I know before it stopped working. very nearly £300 of stuff.

Bank reimbursed her after a row, as it had been reported pinched straight away.

HOLA4423

Many of them about? Are most retail card payment devices contactless these days?

I have contactless in my shop. Most people use the chip and pin but I had a lady the other day use her mobile phone on the contactless bit. That was a new one on me and it sent her a receipt straight to her phone too.

HOLA4424

No it isn't, seriously.

BoS sent me a guide entitled : "Everyday spending just got faster."

Talk about solving a problem that does not exist.

The problems IYRMK are:

1 - the time it takes to earn the money, NOT the time it takes to spend it.

2 - that while spending may well be a fraction of a minute quicker, paying ceratinly is not.

Indeed, this wonderful new technology will only exacerbate 2 and bring 1 into tighter focus.

This "ace" technology is the enabler of negative interest rates (something as an HPCer you should be natutally opposed to). Negative interest rates will expand the amount of debt in the economy and reduce the level of ownership. They will extend the house price to earnings multiples and make wages seem even more inadequate. They will ensure that future generations can survive only by tapping credit facilities, predicated on their earnings. They mean the end of financial independence and any form of retirement.

I only hope you can find a use for the extra 10 seconds you save at the till that will somehow make up for these downsides.

Oh, and the system is vulnerable, so don't go making enemies.

Have a nice day!

HOLA4425

10 times for someone I know before it stopped working. very nearly £300 of stuff.

Bank reimbursed her after a row, as it had been reported pinched straight away.

So £300 of counterfeit credit there and then. It just doesn't disappear ffs: the bank has to carry that on its balance sheet, or push it onto the balance sheet of an insurer. Instant helicopter money, and just like QE, it finds its way straight into the pocket of thieves.. No wonder governments love it. Savers as usual can go f*** themselves.

Archived