House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
prince_economist

No Win No Fee Deposit Solicitors

Hi, my now ex-landord has well screwed up, not having protected my deposit for 7 years. I've got the deposit back, but there is still the issue that for 7 years it was not protected. So two questions:

- any ethical reason I shouldn't take him to the cleaners?

- has anyone used one of those no-win no-fee solicitors advertised on the internet (e.g. http://www.depositrecoveryclaims.co.uk/)to get compensation for lack of protection?

You have your money back. It's unlikely a judge will entertain compensation at the hands of a no win no fee solicitors.. prolly just chuckle and say don't waste my time.

The law is clear, I'm entitled to compensation between 1 and 3 times the deposit. The landlord is clearly in the wrong and a judge would have no choice but to award compensation. It's not simply a case of no win no fee solicitors. Shelter and the CAB are also pretty clear on this.

The law is clear, I'm entitled to compensation between 1 and 3 times the deposit. The landlord is clearly in the wrong and a judge would have no choice but to award compensation. It's not simply a case of no win no fee solicitors. Shelter and the CAB are also pretty clear on this.

Not sure it's that clear. Think the minimum of 1 times the deposit includes the deposit. IE you are guaranteed full return of the deposit but not necessarily anything more.

Not sure it's that clear. Think the minimum of 1 times the deposit includes the deposit. IE you are guaranteed full return of the deposit but not necessarily anything more.

No. The Act keeps the two things separate.

First, the court must order the person holding the deposit either to repay it or to pay it into a designated account held by a scheme - see Section 214(3) HA 2004. (Obviously no such order is needed if the deposit has in fact been repaid.)

Secondly, the court must also (the Act uses that word) order the landlord to pay a sum of money - see Section 214(4) HA 2004.