House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Converted Lurker

Ok Guys Commercial Property

I`ve got the opportunity of buying something for 350K that IMHO is worth a lot more..no 5hit CL doing a BMV deal :lol: Anyhow read lots of opinions re. commercial property as an investment in the current storm..any thoughts? PM me or feel free to discuss ;)

not really got an opinion, or know anything about the market, but I do wonder how commercial property, specifically high street, will fare given the rise in online trade.

I believe ebay are on the verge of expanding their auction business to include non-auction business... i know they kind of do that now with "buy it now" listings, but i envisage this to be more like a normal shop front.

It leads to me think that only those businesses which rely on "touch-and-feel" will continue to have a successful high street presence. I guess it depends on what % of the current high street accommodates this type of business. e.g. who needs to touch and feel a coffee maker. a washing machine etc? I guess this is why these vendors have moved to retail parks, out of town, in probably cheaper places to run a business.

Made an enquiry on a property (shop with flat above) but its had a sale agreed apparently - so no details forthcoming. I assume someone will convert it to a house which is shame as we'll never get ltitle coffee shops and organise food stores if there are no shop buildings in the area...

It leads to me think that only those businesses which rely on "touch-and-feel" will continue to have a successful high street presence. [xian]

Around half of households are Internet free. Many people like to shop in person.

It leads to me think that only those businesses which rely on "touch-and-feel" will continue to have a successful high street presence. [xian]

Around half of households are Internet free. Many people like to shop in person.

is it really as much as a half? Still? I guess that figure will be declining rapidly with the continued commoditisation of hardware, and the opening up of the telecoms market started a good few years ago, plus the new plethora of broadband providers, now including those who don't rely on OO's.

Soon, nearly everyone will be connected. One way or another. God, it's just about there that you can shop via your mobile phone.

Still care to suggest that high street retailers of non-touch-and-feel products will require a high street presence?

:rolleyes:

edited to add:

% of households with internet access

Y2000: 32%

Y2001:37%

Y2002: 46%

Y2003: 49%

Y2004:51%

Y2005:55%

that rise will continue due to the the patterns described above. As i said, I believe touch and feel reliant retailers will continue to use a shop front in town centres, as will their patrons enjoy them.

but even if you don't feel home based access is significant, in addition to their growth, a great number surf / purchase using work connectivity.

Edited by xian

I`ve got the opportunity of buying something for 350K that IMHO is worth a lot more..no 5hit CL doing a BMV deal :lol: Anyhow read lots of opinions re. commercial property as an investment in the current storm..any thoughts? PM me or feel free to discuss ;)

What's the yeild on this property CL?

I'd like to think that it depends a lot on the location and quality of the property, and also on the area.

All I can say that most Real Estate Funds in Germany have taken a hard beating over the last few years due to a lot of offices standing empty and subsequent revaluations of the buildings. This downturn might just be round the corner in this country.

I`ve got the opportunity of buying something for 350K that IMHO is worth a lot more.

I think you've answered your own question there.

Round my way (prosperous northern town) the "high street" is dying. Big time.

Its only a matter of time before prices and yields start falling.

Just my tuppence worth...