House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bruce Banner

Hermes Couriers - Beware

I ordered something on Ebay last week, paid by PayPal which gave my name as "Bruce Banner".

When the package arrived it was addressed to "Mr/Mrs Bruce Banner" and was hence opened by my wife, who commented that it's a good thing it wasn't a present for my mistress! Okay, it was only some paint, but even so I could have scratched her car and tried to cover it up without her knowing. The supplier said that the Mr/Mrs was added by myHermes, the carrier.

The possibilities are endless, but if you don't want things you've ordered being opened by your other half, make sure the supplier doesn't use Hermes.

myHermes are pretty rubbish and slow anyway. I tend to avoid them.

Not used them much but deliveries have always turned up on time. Changing the name of the addressee is something I would never expect though, most odd.

Always get the extra bee hives delivered to a friend's house.
Thornes have this terrible habit of marking them with their own branded packing tape.

:)
Actually our house is the preferred destination for friend's bee hive orders. Well that's what I tell him indoors anyway.

I ordered something on Ebay last week, paid by PayPal which gave my name as "Bruce Banner".

When the package arrived it was addressed to "Mr/Mrs Bruce Banner" and was hence opened by my wife, who commented that it's a good thing it wasn't a present for my mistress! Okay, it was only some paint, but even so I could have scratched her car and tried to cover it up without her knowing. The supplier said that the Mr/Mrs was added by myHermes, the carrier.

The possibilities are endless, but if you don't want things you've ordered being opened by your other half, make sure the supplier doesn't use Hermes.

Why are you buying paint for your wife?

And what did you get for your mistress?

The data entry process has probably a drop down to select Mr or Mrs, Miss etc. If nothing was on your account, the data entry clerk has to choose something to proceed. (I guess)

I read that myhermes is German, and their processes are highly automated. The parcels just go through one big machine.

I did have a parcel go missing once from ebay, the driver had taken the parcel back to the depot and did not leave a note. I did not know this and wasn't given a tracking number by the seller, and had to raise an issue within the ebay process.  The seller then contacted myhermes who then delivered my parcel 2 weeks later.

Where possible (i.e. take note ebay sellers), I will use "deliver to argos". I will pay more for this service, as they are open late, and they have free parking too. That has been super reliable - and you get a message on ebay to let you know its ready to pick up.

They took 2 weeks to show up with my bread machine. I think it's just some fella in a mondeo.

Ours obviously delivers more parcels than yours - he has a Zafira which is frequently full.

Not had an issue using them as a sender or receiver, except maybe they are slow in some locations.

I just wish people who bought stuff knowing they wouldn't be in for the delivery thought to tell sellers BEFORE they ship, lots of alternative pickup from store services available now! (UPS, DPD, Inpost etc). Got my first negative feedback from a guy who decides to tell me after he was carded that he isn't in from 8am-4pm... argh.

I'd say that it was the eBay seller who changed the name, by the way. Couriers don't change details unless they are wrong and even then usually just RTS.

Our local Hermes guy is a real creep, drives some old battered Skoda.

My local Hermes guy smokes continuity, and has all of the parcels loose in his car, so all of the parcels he delivers stink of smoke.

Hermes - Knights of the road ....

The data entry process has probably a drop down to select Mr or Mrs, Miss etc. If nothing was on your account, the data entry clerk has to choose something to proceed. (I guess)

I read that myhermes is German, and their processes are highly automated. The parcels just go through one big machine.

I did have a parcel go missing once from ebay, the driver had taken the parcel back to the depot and did not leave a note. I did not know this and wasn't given a tracking number by the seller, and had to raise an issue within the ebay process. The seller then contacted myhermes who then delivered my parcel 2 weeks later.

Where possible (i.e. take note ebay sellers), I will use "deliver to argos". I will pay more for this service, as they are open late, and they have free parking too. That has been super reliable - and you get a message on ebay to let you know its ready to pick up.

We've removed this now as too many people either didn't bother to go and collect the item or ebay/Argos didn't tell them it was ready.

Ah, as a HPCer I am not a "regular consumer". Argos used to text message, but this has been failing.

Perhaps I don't buy stuff that regularly, maybe a couple of times a month, so I will be watching my in box like a hawk.