House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nosler

Any Guardian Readers?

I quite like reading online newspapers that reflect differing political views.

However a lot of the articles in the Guardian are just plain offensive. Anyone that read the articles after the Cologne sexual attacks will know exactly what I’m talking about…. The best part of the Guardian is when comments are allowed and the general public can tear the articles to shreds.

Does anyone here actually voluntarily pay the Guardian £49 a year? Imho the day the Guardian goes bust will be a great day for the UK.

LOL, I can’t help thinking the Guardian journalists are actually trolls that get a kick out of winding people up with their pro migration articles.

I quite like reading online newspapers that reflect differing political views.

However a lot of the articles in the Guardian are just plain offensive. Anyone that read the articles after the Cologne sexual attacks will know exactly what I’m talking about…. The best part of the Guardian is when comments are allowed and the general public can tear the articles to shreds.

Does anyone here actually voluntarily pay the Guardian £49 a year? Imho the day the Guardian goes bust will be a great day for the UK.

LOL, I can’t help thinking the Guardian journalists are actually trolls that get a kick out of winding people up with their pro migration articles.

I'm a migrant.

I find the Guardian boring and useless.

I think about 95% of their "articles" could be dismantled by a 5 y/o, they can't stand scrutiny. What's truly disgusting about them is that THEY KNOW they're in the wrong and don't allow comments on articles that are clearly bullsh!t.

The "newspaper" isn't "pro-migration". It's pro "minorities", no matter how absurd it is on occasions. Whenever some muslim blows something up somewhere in the world, they have like 6 articles the next day about how "we" need to be more inclusive and "help others integrate" and how it's actually "our" fault - if "we" had been "kinder" to "them", this wouldn't have happened. Obviously comments are not allowed and when they are allowed (in error, just before being closed), they're being moderated. They don't want the public to tell them what they think, they want to tell the public what to think. How about no...

For what it's worth, reading the Guardian made me despise the poor. Before, I just didn't care much, now I see them (and Guardian) as "the enemy". I'm less bothered by the right wing (telegraph or daily mail idiots). At least those are getting paid to cater to their special 2-digits-IQ public, so they speak for them. Whereas the Guardian doesn't speak for anyone I've ever met, but acts like it's speaking for "the people". Their articles on how "the poor" are having a hard time are just downright pathetic, out of touch and the examples they come up with are laughable. "Jenny has 6 kids from 15 fathers and is struggling to make ends meet". Gee, perhaps Jenny should stop being the local whore and check whether she can afford a kid before having one anyway and raising him at my expense? "Mo is a part time teacher and can't afford a new Lexus". Good, ****** off, Mo, back to the (short) bus with you, part time workers aren't supposed to live a good life, didn't you know that? "Brandon doesn't have arms and legs and finds it hard to masturbate" - no shit, Brandon, that's how things work or, in your case, how they don't work. They appear to think that EVERYONE should afford EVERYTHING regardless of their choices in life. They seem to think that there should be no consequences for making the wrong choice. In their view, Jenny, Mo and Brandon should all have the things I have and since they can't afford them, I should get taxed more, so they can get them for free. F. them and F. that.

I wouldn't pay them one dirty cent for all that nonsense. Also, the Guardian isn't "pro" migrants (if such a thing even exists; it's absurd to begin with - I'm a migrant, what would their being "pro" "me" help me with?).

They're not trolls. They're just out of touch idiots. Completely disconnected from reality. Random example - they kept going on and on about how men should be jailed for "wolf whistling" when they see an attractive woman. While I think that behaviour leaves a lot to be desired and shouldn't be encouraged, I don't see how anyone in their right mind would advocate jailing a person for that. That's just going back to the dark ages and having people executed for farting while the archbishop was passing by. Another example: their countless articles on what a joy it is to have a kid with Down Syndrome. Any idiot can tell you that most of them die before their 35th birthday. Yes, let's all discuss the joy of burying your kid - not to mention completely f'ing up your life with it.

From reading their articles, my impression is that the perfect person in the Guardian's view is a gay muslim autistic unemployed Black/Asian female with Down Syndrome and 7 kids.

It's still very popular with lefty types who frequently post guardian articles on their Facebook. There's a general feeling that if you're a Guardian reader, you're one of the 'enlightened' folk. I can't stress that enough, they think they're smarter/better than everyone else, that was finally shown on a large scale by the response from the Brexit vote where they argued against democracy.

In terms of £50 a year, many of them are skint (and it's the fault of the Tories/Patriarchy/ect...) so I'd guess it's a tiny, tiny percentage that actually pay the Guardian anything.

The only good thing about the Guardian website is the Recipes section.

I don't read any articles on there related to the news, particularly politics as it makes my blood boil - including the comments.

Their current support of white protestors in the 'Black Lives Matter' airport protest is the last straw for me (although the comments are amusing). There's some good anti-neoliberalism stuff on there (George Monbiot) but the rest has just become a cliche of unoriginal lefty comment - absurd identity politics, anti-Corbyn nonsense, and a general sense that any problem can be solved with more government intervention, ie throwing money at it.

I have the same issue with Channel 4 news. Yes, Syria and refugees are important issues, but how about not leading with them every single day, sometimes devoting the whole programme to it. Is there no other news?

I occasionally click on links to their articles. I laughed so hard the other day when I saw the begging letter at the article. Maybe they should all take a well deserved pay cut?

Private Eye summed it up when it commented that the guardian was running a campaign to get more state school educated in top jobs currently dominated by public school boys. They pointed out that the whole guardian editorial team were former public school boys...

The sudoku is very good and they allow it to be printed off free of charge from their website. Can go straight there, bypassing the the guff the pass off as journalism. What's not to like

I think the idea of a political bias is so last year. Your better off getting the news somewhere that is sort of 'independent'

I cant see papers lasting much longer even in the digital format I am afraid. Too much free stuff on the net.

To be honest I think its an OK paper but I am more left wing than I think many on here.

Observer is pretty good, but its an expensive hobby paper reading. A months worth is much as an smartphone contract. Its no longer value.

Their current support of white protestors in the 'Black Lives Matter' airport protest is the last straw for me (although the comments are amusing). There's some good anti-neoliberalism stuff on there (George Monbiot) but the rest has just become a cliche of unoriginal lefty comment - absurd identity politics, anti-Corbyn nonsense, and a general sense that any problem can be solved with more government intervention, ie throwing money at it.

I have the same issue with Channel 4 news. Yes, Syria and refugees are important issues, but how about not leading with them every single day, sometimes devoting the whole programme to it. Is there no other news?

Mr B wants to watch the channel 4 news nearly every night. All of it. I often have to escape to the kitchen to watch something nice and cheerful instead, like an ancient episode of Midsomer Murders. :-)

I used to be a regularly Guardian reader until a couple of years ago, would mix it up though and get The Telegraph, Independent or Sunday Times. I only buy a sunday paper now occasionally as I can get so much information as it happens online and without the bias, or with an obvious bias so that I can compensate. Occasionally I go back and buy a "Grauniad" thinking I really ought to start reading a paper again (newsprint used to have more detail than online, often still does), but I just get angry with it - complete delusion, not understanding of what it means to be working class, and pushing an agenda/propaganda.

Always liked the music/film reviews in the Guardian and miss that.

I'm finding I get the same feelings watching the BBC now, and even Sky - seems to be an agenda they are pushing. I've tried watching Russia Today to compensate - at least their bias is overt.

ETA: newsprint will die other than free ones such as Metro/Evening Standard. The Guardian is just accelerating its death by targeting a particular demographic (ie. the same one as the journalists themselves and their chums).

Wow, I really thought that must be satirical until I actually googled some of the headlines.

Occasionally one of my Guardian-reading friends will send me a link to an opinion piece and I genuinely can't work out whether it's a satire worthy of Swift.

I love reading the guardian and commenting as much as possible. Every time they have to pay someone to moderate me it pushes their costs up, and pushes the rag one step closer to collapse.....

I used to be a regularly Guardian reader until a couple of years ago, would mix it up though and get The Telegraph, Independent or Sunday Times. I only buy a sunday paper now occasionally as I can get so much information as it happens online and without the bias, or with an obvious bias so that I can compensate. Occasionally I go back and buy a "Grauniad" thinking I really ought to start reading a paper again (newsprint used to have more detail than online, often still does), but I just get angry with it - complete delusion, not understanding of what it means to be working class, and pushing an agenda/propaganda.

Always liked the music/film reviews in the Guardian and miss that.

I'm finding I get the same feelings watching the BBC now, and even Sky - seems to be an agenda they are pushing. I've tried watching Russia Today to compensate - at least their bias is overt.

ETA: newsprint will die other than free ones such as Metro/Evening Standard. The Guardian is just accelerating its death by targeting a particular demographic (ie. the same one as the journalists themselves and their chums).

^

You have managed to capture my thoughts and feelings exactly and explained it far more eloquently than I could :)

I'm a migrant.

I find the Guardian boring and useless.

I think about 95% of their "articles" could be dismantled by a 5 y/o, they can't stand scrutiny. What's truly disgusting about them is that THEY KNOW they're in the wrong and don't allow comments on articles that are clearly bullsh!t.

The "newspaper" isn't "pro-migration". It's pro "minorities", no matter how absurd it is on occasions. Whenever some muslim blows something up somewhere in the world, they have like 6 articles the next day about how "we" need to be more inclusive and "help others integrate" and how it's actually "our" fault - if "we" had been "kinder" to "them", this wouldn't have happened. Obviously comments are not allowed and when they are allowed (in error, just before being closed), they're being moderated. They don't want the public to tell them what they think, they want to tell the public what to think. How about no...

For what it's worth, reading the Guardian made me despise the poor. Before, I just didn't care much, now I see them (and Guardian) as "the enemy". I'm less bothered by the right wing (telegraph or daily mail idiots). At least those are getting paid to cater to their special 2-digits-IQ public, so they speak for them. Whereas the Guardian doesn't speak for anyone I've ever met, but acts like it's speaking for "the people". Their articles on how "the poor" are having a hard time are just downright pathetic, out of touch and the examples they come up with are laughable. "Jenny has 6 kids from 15 fathers and is struggling to make ends meet". Gee, perhaps Jenny should stop being the local whore and check whether she can afford a kid before having one anyway and raising him at my expense? "Mo is a part time teacher and can't afford a new Lexus". Good, ****** off, Mo, back to the (short) bus with you, part time workers aren't supposed to live a good life, didn't you know that? "Brandon doesn't have arms and legs and finds it hard to masturbate" - no shit, Brandon, that's how things work or, in your case, how they don't work. They appear to think that EVERYONE should afford EVERYTHING regardless of their choices in life. They seem to think that there should be no consequences for making the wrong choice. In their view, Jenny, Mo and Brandon should all have the things I have and since they can't afford them, I should get taxed more, so they can get them for free. F. them and F. that.

I wouldn't pay them one dirty cent for all that nonsense. Also, the Guardian isn't "pro" migrants (if such a thing even exists; it's absurd to begin with - I'm a migrant, what would their being "pro" "me" help me with?).

They're not trolls. They're just out of touch idiots. Completely disconnected from reality. Random example - they kept going on and on about how men should be jailed for "wolf whistling" when they see an attractive woman. While I think that behaviour leaves a lot to be desired and shouldn't be encouraged, I don't see how anyone in their right mind would advocate jailing a person for that. That's just going back to the dark ages and having people executed for farting while the archbishop was passing by. Another example: their countless articles on what a joy it is to have a kid with Down Syndrome. Any idiot can tell you that most of them die before their 35th birthday. Yes, let's all discuss the joy of burying your kid - not to mention completely f'ing up your life with it.

From reading their articles, my impression is that the perfect person in the Guardian's view is a gay muslim autistic unemployed Black/Asian female with Down Syndrome and 7 kids.

Spectacular rant, way to go! For the record though, I do think that the state should pay someone to go in and "help Brandon out" every now and again, I really wouldn't object to my taxes being used for that.

As someone on here said, The Guardian is Die Stürmer for SJWs, it is clickbait central without even the redeeming feature of the Daily Hate's wall of shame.

I used to buy the paper, then I read the articles online, now I just read the comments, far more sense from some of the commenters.

Never read it but the podcasts are pretty good. Or at least they used to be, they got rid of a lot of them over the last year or two, the really good ones that went missing were the Media and Technology ones.