House Price Crash Forum

Prime Minister's Questions

rollover

Totally agree with this statement also.

Anecdote:

Last week, I had a family friend talking about buying a BTL in the North for their kid to use in 10 years time if they went to uni.

Either the kid would go to the uni in selected city or the rent of the BTL in selected city would effectively pay for the rental in another city where they chose to study. The idea is that the capital growth in the next 10 years will be enough to pay all or part of the tuition fees.

Utter, utter madness. :(

Have they looked at "capital" growth in most of the north over the last ten years ...or are they expecting the government to start paying people to go to uni

To play devils advocate ,i think most of that building was driven by liar loans+speculation which played a major part in the failure of the banking system

Indeed house prices were partly driven in that way (and bank failures) and that's partly what I meant when I said (Nu)Labour did enormous damage to Britain, the British economy and huge numbers of British people - without going into detail on every aspect of it.

Nevertheless the fact remains that (Nu)Labour did build more new homes a year on average (based on official statistics) yet May was trying to claim that the Conservatives are building more than then.

That was an "error" by her - Cameron used to try to imply the same sort of exaggerated claims in "error" at the Dispatch Box when he was Prime Minister.

I'm not sure that it's been proven the liar loans really drove any number of extra new homes being built. House price increases yes but not necessarily increases in new home building.

When criticised that Help to Buy etc would create a bubble in house prices Cameron and Osborne etc tried to justify Help to Buy on the basis of it would increase the number of new homes a year being built. 3 years or so of Help to Buy and with house prices having bubbled mega massively in some areas in that period yet new home building is still at or near record lows - a policy that's an abject failure in terms of building more new homes - and they've now been effectively in power for more than 6 years with 6 years of record low numbers of new homes being built.

It seems that May might have tried to deceive Parliament and the electorate on the relative numbers (maybe it was a genuine error or maybe bad advice? - doesn't she double check? - she didn't explain or clarify what seemed to be an the error - they never do - they don't have to) - and Corbyn rightly corrected her.

Corbyn knew the right figures.

Edited by billybong

To play devils advocate ,i think most of that building was driven by liar loans+speculation which played a major part in the failure of the banking system

Another possible reason for the better figures for new home building under the (Nu)Labour government compared to under the (Nu)Conservative government is that possibly under Labour more flats were built so more units for any given area of land and maybe just as much margin (if not more margin) for the builders.

In those days apartment blocks of tiny flats seemed to be being built everywhere all over the country (probably connected to the push to increase the BtL sector - another generator of enormous damage to Britain). These days it seems to be mainly tiny houses although I dare say it's still mainly flats in London. All with crazy massive prices attached of course.

Edited by billybong

The right hon. Gentleman starts off talking about the importance of people being able to be in their own homes, and then challenges one of the measures that actually help people to get into their own homes, through housing benefit support in the private rented sector. It may be that he just has an ideological objection to the private rented sector, but I say to him that this Government are looking across the board to ensure that more houses are being built.

The first part of her statement makes no sense. How does housing benefit help people get into their own homes? Anyhow, so much for the Tories being the party of home ownership. With an attitude like that I wonder if May will reverse the planned tax rises for Landlords. Does she think a nation of renters will vote for her party, or the party that offers rent control, stronger tenancy rights etc,

Edited by subspace

Does she think a nation of renters will vote for her party, or the party that offers rent control, stronger tenancy rights etc,

I would guess the Tories have done the demographic maths and know that even if current trends in falling homeownership continue there will still be enough homeowners by GE2020 for them not to need renter votes. The balance will likely have tipped by GE2025 but they aren't planning that far ahead.

• 4 months later...

Corbyn reveals leaked texts to claim Tories made DEAL with rich council to stop tax hike

The Labour leader scored a rare hit at Prime Minister’s Questions as he grilled Theresa May over abandoned plans by Tory-run Surrey County Council to hike council tax by 15 per cent. Revealing leaked texts between a Government official and the leader of Surrey County Council, Mr Corbyn demanded to know details of an alleged deal. Mrs May accused Mr Corbyn of using “alternative facts”, while a member of Labour’s shadow cabinet later called for resignations over the row. Surrey County Council’s Conservative leader David Hodge had proposed the rise in order to mainly pay for social care.

Surrey residents would have been asked to authorise the tax hike at a referendum on May 4. Mr Hodge has since scrapped plans for a county-wide vote and instead recommended a council tax rise next year of just under five per cent. The prospect of a referendum being held by a Conservative-run council to boost funding would have proved highly embarrassing for Mrs May, who has come under pressure from Labour over social care spending.

Mr Corbyn this afternoon revealed he had seen "leaked copies of texts" sent by Mr Hodge "intended for somebody called Nick" who works for ministers in the Department for Communities and Local Government (DCLG). Downing Street sources denied the messages were intended for Nick King, a special adviser to Communities and Local Government Secretary Sajid Javid. express

Sounds like back room deal was done.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/09/2016 at 10:05 PM, Dorkins said:

I would guess the Tories have done the demographic maths and know that even if current trends in falling homeownership continue there will still be enough homeowners by GE2020 for them not to need renter votes. The balance will likely have tipped by GE2025 but they aren't planning that far ahead.

This

• 4 weeks later...