House Price Crash Forum
rollover

Prime Minister's Questions

7 September 2016

Jeremy Corbyn was good in addressing housing and BTL issues. It looks like he is regular here :) .

...it was the last Labour government which let the banks mortgage lending on houses and BTLs get out of control .... control disappeared as Brown had wrestled the supervision of Banks away from the Bank of England to his own control by having the FSA reporting direct to him and then he Knighted many of the the lenders 'top' boys....when clowns ruin the economy we can't turn it all round at the flick of a lever, when they are kicked out .....it will take decades to sort out the mess of the last Labour Government and Corbyn knows it ....as for private landlords and BTL....I agree with him they should be under stricter control and the current financial exposure to them is a risk to this country ...but Labour grew it recklessly...the Tories must control it..... :rolleyes:

Han

...it was the last Labour government which let the banks mortgage lending on houses and BTLs get out of control .... control disappeared as Brown had wrestled the supervision of Banks away from the Bank of England to his own control by having the FSA reporting direct to him and then he Knighted many of the the lenders 'top' boys....when clowns ruin the economy we can't turn it all round at the flick of a lever, when they are kicked out .....it will take decades to sort out the mess of the last Labour Government and Corbyn knows it ....as for private landlords and BTL....I agree with him they should be under stricter control and the current financial exposure to them is a risk to this country ...but Labour grew it recklessly...the Tories must control it..... :rolleyes:

Labour's history on this is a weak wicket to bat from, however at least he's keeping housing in the limelight.

"The average house price in Britain is now £215,000—over eight times the average wage. The average price of a first-time buyer’s home has risen by 12% in the past year. Is not the dream of home ownership for many people just that—a dream?"

He had me believing he was going in hard but he soon wandered off on to the red herring of new house numbers and then RTB. At least he highlighted the scale of the HB bill.

The people who ran the last Labour government hate Corbyn and are constantly trying to force him out of the leadership job. Yes they're from the same party but Corbyn does seem to be a genuine break with the past.

Thought Corbyn did well highlighting the dire state of housing in this country. May just seem to have pre-planned soundbite after soundbite and no answers. Shame the press will ignore all the real issues and just put a dull train gate quote from May

Han

Labour's history on this is a weak wicket to bat from, however at least he's keeping housing in the limelight.

"The average house price in Britain is now £215,000—over eight times the average wage. The average price of a first-time buyer’s home has risen by 12% in the past year. Is not the dream of home ownership for many people just that—a dream?"

He had me believing he was going in hard but he soon wandered off on to the red herring of new house numbers and then RTB. At least he highlighted the scale of the HB bill.

I liked the fact that he brought up the amount of housing benefit that goes to private landlords. Lets hope this is kept in the limelight whatever happens to the Labour party.

7 September 2016

Jeremy Corbyn was good in addressing housing and BTL issues. It looks like he is regular here :) .

It's good that Corbyn picked up on and corrected May's outrageous assertion that the Conservatives are building more new homes than under (Nu)Labour.

Irrespective of which party anyone might vote for how can they hope to solve the house price/housing crisis when those currently running things are so deluded (or seek to delude) on the basic numbers.

_80219041_uk_house_building_624v2.gif

The chart goes up to 2014 and after getting back in power in 2010 the Conservatives have clearly been building far fewer new homes year after year - since 2014 the numbers of new homes being built has increased a bit but not so much that you would notice.

It's yet another measure of how devastated the British economy is which despite their grandiose claims the Conservatives still haven't got to grips with. That's despite British homes being the tiniest in europe if not the world. So it's not as if it takes that much effort to build one of them.

Edited by billybong

Irrespective of which party anyone might vote for how can they hope to solve the house price/housing crisis when those currently running things are so deluded (or seek to delude) on the basic numbers.

Why would politicians need to come up with real solutions to real problems when they can just get one of their Spads to cook up a convoluted statistic that says no need to worry, everything is fine?

Pathetic from May, although I wouldn't expect anything else. Tories were laughing and jeering at Corbyn's mention of a normal person on minimum wage. Sums them up for me.

Why would politicians need to come up with real solutions to real problems when they can just get one of their Spads to cook up a convoluted statistic that says no need to worry, everything is fine?

Or pretend that the numbers are very low but it's impossible to know the numbers like they did over the immigration numbers as the numbers massively built up - when all they had to do is look up the Office Of National Statistics annual records.

They knew alright but didn't want anyone else to know - just like the numbers of new homes currently being built.

Edited by billybong

The Treasury minister sent onto Daily Politics yesterday to defend the housebuilding numbers was still blaming it all on Labour. Guys, you've been in power for 6 years and made no meaningful progress - what starts with F and rhymes with 'failure'?

What's this?

Corbyn is the answer to all our problems thread?

Because he isn't....Another Month or so and the Labour party will split and create a situation where the Tories can stay in for a generation..... Not a healthy situation

Labour were in power from 1997 - 2010 enormous amounts of damage were done in that time.including they came within a hairs breadth of crashing the whole UK economy and putting several worldwide known banks into public ownership. All through lax regulation and most of it foretold on this forum because of that lax regulation....

That is a situation which has still yet to be fixed.

What's this?

Corbyn is the answer to all our problems thread?

Because he isn't....Another Month or so and the Labour party will split and create a situation where the Tories can stay in for a generation..... Not a healthy situation

Labour were in power from 1997 - 2010 enormous amounts of damage were done in that time.including they came within a hairs breadth of crashing the whole UK economy and putting several worldwide known banks into public ownership. All through lax regulation and most of it foretold on this forum because of that lax regulation....

That is a situation which has still yet to be fixed.

He might well not be the answer, Labour might well split and the tories might consequently benefit. They did enormous damage not only to the economy as a whole but to Britain in general and to huge numbers of people in Britain as well - but on average far more new homes were built each year when Labour was in power than in the 6 years under the Conservatives since 2010. Corbyn did also pick up on the inaccuracy of the claims made about the relative numbers during PM's Question Time which hasn't always happened with the opposition in the past. I question whether Smith would have picked up the error - or even made the points about housing to start with.

The Conservatives don't even seem to know the true figures (actually they know alright but like the other LibLabCon politicians they just think it's easier to confidence trick people).

Edited by billybong

On a site called HousePriceCrash we should be very happy that any politician brought up the subject.

That it happened at PMQ's , when some of the ignorant public might actually view, is a big bonus.

Like Sinn Fein in Ireland being the only mainstream party to vote that Apple does pay its taxes: I might not agree with their overall views, but if they are standing up for the little guy then it's all good as far as I'm concerned.

The comments from May about housing is typical of an out of touch political elite who still don't get it. The ad hominem , childish attacks against Corbyn in PMQ was just a deflection from the real pressing problems of decades of lack of building and investment, we should all be fuming at what is not being done.

The jibes at Corbyn about wanting to help people obtain secure housing but then turf people out of private housing because he considered private rental to be politically unsavory failed to actually grasp his point ( I support neither of them for the record).

We should have a society where the poorest and lest able to buy a house get access to secure and affordable rental (council housing for those who have never heard of it), and have a healthy private market where those that can afford to buy or rent within a reasonable multiple of their income can do so. It's unthinkable that billions are given in welfare to line the pockets of private landlords when this should be being invested in decent council housing stock. It's not rocket science.

I just find it difficult to grasp that people who are "in charge" think that the wage multiples of 8x or more required to buy the average house is perfectly fine and healthy! It's total insanity.

I just find it difficult to grasp that people who are "in charge" think that the wage multiples of 8x or more required to buy the average house is perfectly fine and healthy! It's total insanity.

I couldn't agree more with this statement. Mind you, my sister thinks it is totally fine and healthy for 40 years mortgages to become the norm but can't see how this affects prices, and I should stop wasting my money on rent, because it's a property ladder, innit. God, I get sick talking to people about housing.

Edited by renting til I die

JustAnotherProle, on 08 Sept 2016 - 10:04 AM, said:snapback.png

Totally agree with this statement also.

Anecdote:

Last week, I had a family friend talking about buying a BTL in the North for their kid to use in 10 years time if they went to uni.

Either the kid would go to the uni in selected city or the rent of the BTL in selected city would effectively pay for the rental in another city where they chose to study. The idea is that the capital growth in the next 10 years will be enough to pay all or part of the tuition fees.

Utter, utter madness. :(

After some promising utterances in the early days of her premiership, May now appears to be toeing the same party line as (takes a deep breath) Cameron, Brown & Blair. Will we ever get a PM that will challenge the finance/banking complex?

Between 1977 and 1983 Theresa May worked at the Bank of England, and from 1985 to 1997 as a financial consultant and senior advisor in International Affairs at the Association for Payment Clearing Services. Her husband Philip May has been employed by the financial group Capital International as a relationship manager for more than ten years; he had previously been a fund manager for de Zoete & Bevan, Prudential Portfolio Managers and Deutsche Asset Management.

You won't get any rocking of the finance/banking boat from this PM.

Edited by RentingForever

Between 1977 and 1983 Theresa May worked at the Bank of England, and from 1985 to 1997 as a financial consultant and senior advisor in International Affairs at the Association for Payment Clearing Services. Her husband Philip May has been employed by the financial group Capital International as a relationship manager for more than ten years; he had previously been a fund manager for de Zoete & Bevan, Prudential Portfolio Managers and Deutsche Asset Management.

You won't get any rocking of the finance/banking boat from this PM.

And there you have it, meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

It's fine for them...It';s fine for their social circle...it's fine for their party backers...it's fine for the establishment.

THEY DON'T GIVE A F**K ABOUT US.

Get with the program dude.

On what planet is it fine to use tax payers money/futures to bump the price of one of lives necessities up 20% because house builders funded your party's election.

The crime is there for all to see...no one wants to address it.

These people are either stupid, criminal, being blackmailed, mis guided, totally right or on some sort of drugs.

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

Just watched. They literally have no idea how normal people are actually living.

The hubris from May was on an other level. Does she honestly think it appropriate to stand at the dispatch box and try and perform a stand up act whilst a large portion of the population are struggling.

He might well not be the answer, Labour might well split and the tories might consequently benefit. They did enormous damage not only to the economy as a whole but to Britain in general and to huge numbers of people in Britain as well - but on average far more new homes were built each year when Labour was in power than in the 6 years under the Conservatives since 2010. Corbyn did also pick up on the inaccuracy of the claims made about the relative numbers during PM's Question Time which hasn't always happened with the opposition in the past. I question whether Smith would have picked up the error - or even made the points about housing to start with.

The Conservatives don't even seem to know the true figures (actually they know alright but like the other LibLabCon politicians they just think it's easier to confidence trick people).

To play devils advocate ,i think most of that building was driven by liar loans+speculation which played a major part in the failure of the banking system