House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
vikkie

Landlord Enters At Will

We made the mistake of taking out a lease for a house with homes4u over a 19 month period. Ever since then homes4u have been difficult, they are very arrogant and persist in their attitude that they can enter the property without us there or send people who are acting for them round, without us being there - giving them the keys and the alarm code. In nearly all cases they do send a letter that arrives with about 24hrs notice. However they are very unwilling to rearrange to a day that we can be present.

We have suffered this throughout our tenancy and have argued with them about this, but they say that they can not come at weekend and we work during the week. Obviously if it was only one or 2 days a year it wouldn’t be so bad but its nearer to every other month.

Now to make things worst they have advertised the house 6 months before our lease finishes, and we have just been told of 3 viewings over the next 7 days to re-let the property in July. One of these viewings was today but the rest are during the week when we can not be there. We could be faced with 3 visits per week for the next 6 months!!!!

We are very uncomfortable about anyone not to mention strangers being in our house when we are not there, but even if we were it ties up 3 of our days per week for 6 months when we are loosing our earning waiting about, tidying up, making sure there is no underwear left about, valuables are hidden, and being genuinely uncomfortable.

HELP!!! We can not wait to get away from this place and the hellhole that homes4U have made it.

We made the mistake of taking out a lease for a house with homes4u over a 19 month period. Ever since then homes4u have been difficult, they are very arrogant and persist in their attitude that they can enter the property without us there or send people who are acting for them round, without us being there - giving them the keys and the alarm code. In nearly all cases they do send a letter that arrives with about 24hrs notice. However they are very unwilling to rearrange to a day that we can be present.

We have suffered this throughout our tenancy and have argued with them about this, but they say that they can not come at weekend and we work during the week. Obviously if it was only one or 2 days a year it wouldn’t be so bad but its nearer to every other month.

Now to make things worst they have advertised the house 6 months before our lease finishes, and we have just been told of 3 viewings over the next 7 days to re-let the property in July. One of these viewings was today but the rest are during the week when we can not be there. We could be faced with 3 visits per week for the next 6 months!!!!

We are very uncomfortable about anyone not to mention strangers being in our house when we are not there, but even if we were it ties up 3 of our days per week for 6 months when we are loosing our earning waiting about, tidying up, making sure there is no underwear left about, valuables are hidden, and being genuinely uncomfortable.

HELP!!! We can not wait to get away from this place and the hellhole that homes4U have made it.

I would spend £25 on a solicitors letter spelling out to them that they are not allowed to enter the property without 48 hours notice for inspections and not at all for viewings until 2 months before the tennancy ends.

If that fails change the locks, you will be asked for the new keys but you can take your time sending them.

You are not legally expected to live like this.

I would spend £25 on a solicitors letter spelling out to them that they are not allowed to enter the property without 48 hours notice for inspections and not at all for viewings until 2 months before the tennancy ends.

If that fails change the locks, you will be asked for the new keys but you can take your time sending them.

You are not legally expected to live like this.

Thanks for the advice I was beginning to think that we were just being petty and that this was normal.

As for changing the locks, I would have done this straight away but the front door is has deadlocks attached to the main locking system, so I would imagine it would be very costly to replace?!?!?

Only last week they entered for an inspection but I had changed the alarm code, and one of our neighbours reported it to the police not knowing it was homes4u letting themselves in whilst we were at work and not being able to stop the alarm.

I’m really at my wits end with them I would love to just be able to get out of the contract now and walk away because I know even if I manage to stop them for the next 4 months then its still going to be murder for the last 2 and I’m guessing that by the way they have carried on they will have no problem keeping our deposit especially if I kick up a stink now.

Thanks for the advice I was beginning to think that we were just being petty and that this was normal.

As for changing the locks, I would have done this straight away but the front door is has deadlocks attached to the main locking system, so I would imagine it would be very costly to replace?!?!?

Only last week they entered for an inspection but I had changed the alarm code, and one of our neighbours reported it to the police not knowing it was homes4u letting themselves in whilst we were at work and not being able to stop the alarm.

I’m really at my wits end with them I would love to just be able to get out of the contract now and walk away because I know even if I manage to stop them for the next 4 months then its still going to be murder for the last 2 and I’m guessing that by the way they have carried on they will have no problem keeping our deposit especially if I kick up a stink now.

I would get a letter off to them straight away, they simply cannot come and go as they please. Or withhold the rent until they back off, as you say it sounds like your deposit has gone already and it will not affect your credit history at all (been there got the T shirt). AND change the lock that isn't too expensive to change, it'll at least get them to calm down and not be able to pop round as and when.

Good luck

They have no right to enter AT ALL if you put it in writing send recorded delivery keep a copy, breach of that instruction will almost certainly bring you compensation for harassment. If you are happy to let them do viewings then it should be done entirely at your convenience.

They are behaving completely unreasonably.

If they insist on entering the property without permission, you could always have a bit of fun. If they always enter through the front door and you use the rear door, why not use a door stop or a piece of wood under the door handle to prevent it being opened. Changing the alarm code so it goes off when they visit seems like a good idea.

Are you allowed pets? If so borrow a very nasty dog for the days!! :lol:

Not allowed pets :(

Just been on to the town hall and they told me to give them a call first to let them know not to go in and do any viewings this week.

However I was told by the manager that they are going in no matter what and will do so as they please as it was in our leasing agreement.

Not allowed pets :(

Just been on to the town hall and they told me to give them a call first to let them know not to go in and do any viewings this week.

However I was told by the manager that they are going in no matter what and will do so as they please as it was in our leasing agreement.

I'm sorry to hear about your trouble. His argument that it was in the contract is not valid as it is an unfair contract term and not enforceable.

It it were me I would prevent them gaining access to the property. I see no reason why you shouldn't leave a key in the lock or move a couple of bits of furniture into the hallway. Hopefully if you can prevent them achieving a viewing they will get the message.

It's a good warning about homes4u though, a company well worth avoiding.

I'm sorry to hear about your trouble. His argument that it was in the contract is not valid as it is an unfair contract term and not enforceable.

It it were me I would prevent them gaining access to the property. I see no reason why you shouldn't leave a key in the lock or move a couple of bits of furniture into the hallway. Hopefully if you can prevent them achieving a viewing they will get the message.

It's a good warning about homes4u though, a company well worth avoiding.

I've now changed the locks, will this be okay or am I better putting the old one back on rather than giving them something to go after me for?

Contact these www.painsmith.co.uk give them a call or send a brief email.