House Price Crash Forum
gruffydd

Food Inflation!

Spoke to me da's seed merchant last week - they have sold half as much seed for planting crops - mainly wheat and barley - this year compared with last year - yes a drop of 50% in a year (UK seed merchant - based in England). Farmers are losing money on arable and therefore swithcing to grass. Yikes...........

Guest magnoliawalls

Spoke to me da's seed merchant last week - they have sold half as much seed for planting crops - mainly wheat and barley - this year compared with last year - yes a drop of 50% in a year (UK seed merchant - based in England). Farmers are losing money on arable and therefore swithcing to grass. Yikes...........

I was chatting about food prices with an elderly man recently - he said it the casual approach to security of food supply these days worried him. His family had gone hungry during the war and had never been able to forget it. For younger generations being unable to afford food is unimaginable.

Are there enough allottments left in cities to feed people?

I had read keeping chickens was the fastest growing hobby in the Uk... although that might have been by a VI - www.omlet.co.uk

Edited by SarahBell

By the way, my father has given up on arable this year - he used to grow mainly barley and wheat. Most of the neighbours have given up too.

Edited by gruffydd

http://news.scotsman.com/topics.cfm?tid=78&id=123462005

http://www.fwi.co.uk/Articles/2005/02/04/1...ops+by+12+.html

UK 70ish% self sufficient in food. No idea about amount stored. Does seem a bit worrying considering the amount of hassle oil causes.

In Cold War UK had aprox 60 days of emergency food stocks. However in the 90s we sold off the 30 year old high energy biscuits so ....

The 70%ish self sufficiency assumes that you have diesel and fertiliser to produce it, not likey if there is an energy shortage.

One of the article also mentions we buy a lot of our animal feed from abroad too. Wonder what the real figure is when all is taken into account?

The 70%ish self sufficiency assumes that you have diesel and fertiliser to produce it, not likey if there is an energy shortage.

Apparently all the UK fertilizer plants have already shut down production due to energy costs.

Do not worry. The UK is now a "Knowledge Economy" and we will sell this to the World. The recipients of this "Knowledge" will be pleased to provide much of our food supplies for evermore.

I think that's how it goes.

Edited by Mushroom

I think a food shortage would be a good thing. As a nation we've gotten fat so moving from a 3,000 calorie diet to a 2,000 calorie diet would be an improvement.

I think about all of those fat chicks with the crop tops with the flab hanging out and think a bit of forced dieting wouldn't be so bad.

The only concern is oil is so important to food generation. e.g. 6 barrels used to generate a cow. So our food might drop more than a third and that would get scary.

I think a food shortage would be a good thing. As a nation we've gotten fat so moving from a 3,000 calorie diet to a 2,000 calorie diet would be an improvement.

I think about all of those fat chicks with the crop tops with the flab hanging out and think a bit of forced dieting wouldn't be so bad.

I'm doing a run of bitter and cynical posts: even if our food intake dropped and the female population suddenly shaped up, you can bet your house that fashion would change to fully covered up baggy clothing - you'll be lucky to see an ankle. :ph34r:

Randell, can't you run a diesel engine on vegetable oil - all you need to do is change the timing and the injectors.

Yep sure you can.

Just pop down to the local supermarket and fill that baby up with vegetable oil instead of diesel.....errrr.......mmm oh dear?

If we can't grow enough crops for food, do you think there will be surplus for vegetable oil? No chance.

Where exactly does the missing crude oil derived fertiliser come form?

Yields will drop off a cliff in the absence of the oil supported intensive farming to which we are accustomed. Hence organic (I strongly approve of the organic industry) will never be dominant or anywhere near that.

Do not worry. The UK is now a "Knowledge Economy" and we will sell this to the World. The recipients of this "Knowledge" will be pleased to provide much of our food supplies for evermore.

I think that's how it goes.

You are joking? Right?

Knowledge? Yeah, we can show them how NOT to do things! Or we can simply give all our best ideas away as we have always done.

The only concern is oil is so important to food generation. e.g. 6 barrels used to generate a cow. So our food might drop more than a third and that would get scary.

But what about us skinny types? I ain't fat and I consume easily in excess of 2000 calories a day.

Am I to just waste away? :lol:

NDL

You are joking? Right?

Knowledge? Yeah, we can show them how NOT to do things! Or we can simply give all our best ideas away as we have always done.

Me jest?

Yup, guilty.

My Saturday night even more cynical than usual mode.

Oh and my stupid laptop is playing the I'm too hot so I'm shutting down game!

It'll be making friends with a skip if it's not careful.

:)

Edited by Mushroom

The truth is we need to stock up on grains as this is the perfect food to ensure survival if nuclear war kicks off. Fact. It is written in documents which advise on the after effects of such warfare. Its the only food that can store for long periods of time. Think US food aid to the 3rd world.

You don't need to leave it to the government to secure your food supply, nor should you, secure it yourselves.

You can buy enough tinned food and jars of stuff to last you 3 years for a few hundred quid and you just

rotate your stock.

It amazes me that probably only 1 in 1,000 people have done so..... maybe this is darwinism in action.....

Does anyone think they will get a state pension off the government in 20 years? hehehe

D

You don't need to leave it to the government to secure your food supply, nor should you, secure it yourselves.

You can buy enough tinned food and jars of stuff to last you 3 years for a few hundred quid and you just

rotate your stock.

It amazes me that probably only 1 in 1,000 people have done so..... maybe this is darwinism in action.....

Does anyone think they will get a state pension off the government in 20 years? hehehe

D

Do you have the abilty to keep your stash secure if your prediction comes true?

I can imagine a lot of desperate people would be roaming around with no jobs and absolutely nothing to lose.

I'm about to do a leaflet drop locally about planting a community orchard on the field near us. The council have said we can - LOL they won't be paying for it and it'll mean their land is looked after better.

Even a few fruit trees for every road would be a start - I have never understood why they don't plant fruit trees instead or ornamental ones alongside roads.

Do you have the abilty to keep your stash secure if your prediction comes true?

I can imagine a lot of desperate people would be roaming around with no jobs and absolutely nothing to lose.

The people that buy large supplies of tinned food are also likely to have large supplies of shotguns and bear traps. When you shoot a few raiders, it also provides ideal BBQ food and they may even have gold fillings

The people that buy large supplies of tinned food are also likely to have large supplies of shotguns and bear traps. When you shoot a few raiders, it also provides ideal BBQ food and they may even have gold fillings

How much of our arable production goes to feeding animals? I heard it was over two-thirds. I'm not a vegetarian, but in times of shortage perhaps we could just eat grain intead of eating chicken that fed on grain.

But unless you're eating quinoa you're not getting the right omegas

In the old days we used to send the old school dinners to the pig farm, does that go on these days?

But unless you're eating quinoa you're not getting the right omegas

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cold pressed hemp seed oil.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the old days we used to send the old school dinners to the pig farm, does that go on these days?

Think that's banned now because, iirc, the lowering of temperatures for processing such stuff was advanced as a possible reason for the transmission of BSE.

For example, I will be sending Mushroom a donut in the post in return for this piece of knowledge.

Did you know that Abraham Lincoln gave his famous 'Gettysburg Address' on November 19th, 1863? Please send me chocolate buttons.

No, this ain't gonna work, I don't do donuts and will merely have to send on in exchange for another bit of "knowledge".