House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Converted Lurker

When Did The Madness Hit You?

Worth repeating here, when did you realise house prices were getting a bit potty, what was the scratch head moment? For me 2001 - early 2002, areas around London when visiting relatives. The madness didn`t move up North until the following year really. :angry:

http://forum.firstrung.co.uk/index.php?sho...c=67&st=0last

Edited by Converted Lurker

It's only really been the last year, maybe I'm a bit dim but it suddenly occured to me last summer 2005 that here we are earning really good money with a decent deposit and we can't buy a family home.

I'm the first to admit we enjoy life but with our income we should have 2 cars, 2 holidays, private schools and a bloody house.

However it seems to me if i HAVE to manage without any of the above it's the house that I can live without first, much to the disgust of our local estate agents.

Incidently a funny little local tale. A house on the main road into Irby is up for £350k for over a year with Clive Watkins, lady for Karl Tatler calls me all excited to tell me she has a new instruction, the same house. Oh right i asked expecting a reduction, how much is it up for ? Oh £350k she says, you'd have thought after a year the penny might have dropped that it's overpriced wouldn't you ? Silence - Apparently not.

It's only really been the last year, maybe I'm a bit dim but it suddenly occured to me last summer 2005 that here we are earning really good money with a decent deposit and we can't buy a family home.

I'm the first to admit we enjoy life but with our income we should have 2 cars, 2 holidays, private schools and a bloody house.

However it seems to me if i HAVE to manage without any of the above it's the house that I can live without first, much to the disgust of our local estate agents.

Incidently a funny little local tale. A house on the main road into Irby is up for £350k for over a year with Clive Watkins, lady for Karl Tatler calls me all excited to tell me she has a new instruction, the same house. Oh right i asked expecting a reduction, how much is it up for ? Oh £350k she says, you'd have thought after a year the penny might have dropped that it's overpriced wouldn't you ? Silence - Apparently not.

What`s the vendors surname? ;) In any event Angela, if you`re interested offer them 300K. 12 months without a buyer..Do you do your research , i.e. where are you guys off to, are you in a chain, how developed is it...? 2 way thing this buying houses, they need you more than you need them ;) Stop being so polite..

It's a developer who has converted the barns behind the pub in Irby, the barn is the size of a postage stamp with three pathetic bedrooms.

I have my eye on a semi in Heswall at £330k or a friends house that is £250k with planning permission to extend.

Very diificult, I think we can only wait another year moving around is doing our heads in tbh

About 2003 when already overpriced property was going up YOY by 20%+ for for about the sixth year in a row. I thought if this carries on soon pokey little terraces will be £1/2million. The people buying them might be earning £15k.

They say if something can't go on forever, then it won't.

2003 when I was looking to move house and couldn't believe how much my own house was valued at. It just didn't make sense. It was a three bed semi on the back of a railway line and went for obscene money. So I sold and then eventually ended up not buying again.